RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

3 hours ago, Logic said:

I respect your take. On the other hand, Brandon Beane said in his presser with regard to Rousseau's role for the Bills: "he'll start out at end, but you'll see him reduce down inside on 3rd downs". 

There's been a lot of talk about the whole inside/outside thing - I think the biggest advantage is how they can use him in stunts - not necessarily how he will always line up initially.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I dont think we can tell what he will become.  20-25 pounds will make him a different man. 

Okay.  So then it makes sense to compare him to Mario Williams?  And to support that outlandish statement with nothing?  Sorry.  That is freaking ridiculous.

The draft is about potential. People need to remember we were picking 30th because we are a very good and deep team. If you expected a Top 5 edge rusher I don't know what to tell other than it ain't happening. Beane knows a ***** of alot more than all you guys, and maybe these guys will work out and maybe they won't. But, it is possible that these draftees, especially Rousseau, represent the best upside we could get at 30. And, if you use some imagination, in the end he could develop into a big, tall all-around end for us.

On 5/3/2021 at 2:38 PM, Logic said:

I liked the Rousseau and Basham picks this year, and I liked the Epenesa pick last year.

My only concern is that all three guys seem to be the same type of player: base ends who will set the edge well on 1st and 2nd down, but who then would be best suited to reduce down to the interior on 3rd down. That versatility is great, of course, but I fear that starting in 2022 (assuming Hughes and Addison are gone), we still won't have that pure arc-running, edge-bending pass rush threat on the edge. It's great that all three of our youngsters at edge can rush from the interior effectively, but we still don't seem to have that twitchy right end who can bend the arc.

Any of the three could prove me wrong, of course. Maybe my concern will prove to be unfounded, but I'm a little hesitant to think, even with three high picks invested at EDGE, that the Bills have definitely solved their problems there going forward.

They turned Epenesa into an arc-running, edge-bending pass rusher that you're describing. 

Watch the last few games of the season .... that's his exact game. At his lighter weight, he's way better doing that than kicking inside.

6 hours ago, nucci said:

what is twitchy and why is it a thing?

I get that falling asleep. As soon as I'm ready and about to fall asleep my legs twitch and wake me back up. 

Probably not the same thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Okay.  So then it makes sense to compare him to Mario Williams?  And to support that outlandish statement with nothing?  Sorry.  That is freaking ridiculous.

I compared him the other day to JJ Watt.  

I just think his body is going to develop into something quite different from what we see today, and I think his style of play will evolve.   I agree, though - I don't see Mario Williams.  

42 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I compared him the other day to JJ Watt.  

I just think his body is going to develop into something quite different from what we see today, and I think his style of play will evolve.   I agree, though - I don't see Mario Williams.  

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but come on.  This has gotten ridiculous.  What are you basing the JJ Watt comparison on?

12 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but come on.  This has gotten ridiculous.  What are you basing the JJ Watt comparison on?

He's relentless like Watt.  Just keeps coming.   He follows the ball like Watt - I think it's interesting how he gets his hands on the blocker but keeps his head high and his body and especially his feet away from the blocker, so when he sees the play developing he can disengage.  When he disengages, he then makes athletic plays, with his body and especially his hands.  When he's playing inside he still seems to slip blocks like Watt does.  

I'm not saying they're the same guy and I'm not saying that he'll be the impact player Watt is/was.  Just saying I similarities in style.  And, again, I think he's going to be a somewhat different player when he grows into his body.  

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t think it’s absurd to compare him to some great players because Rousseau has unique traits.  On the flip side I think it’s telling that Beane went with another defensive end in the 2nd round.  Rousseau is very hard to project.  That’s why he was available at pick 30.  

13 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t think it’s absurd to compare him to some great players because Rousseau has unique traits.  On the flip side I think it’s telling that Beane went with another defensive end in the 2nd round.  Rousseau is very hard to project.  That’s why he was available at pick 30.  

I don't think it's very telling. Beane was about to trade down but viewed Basham as a massive value pick that he couldn't pass up.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I don't think it's very telling. Beane was about to trade down but viewed Basham as a massive value pick that he couldn't pass up.

Right.   I think in his mind, Beane got great value twice.   I followed the draft this year even less than in previous years, so I don't know anything about the DEs taken in the first round, but I think this:  If your team needs to improve - like you're trying to get better so you can get to the playoffs, or if your team is seriously in need of a DE for some other reason, you're not jumping at the chance to take Rousseau, because he's a bigger gamble than some other guys on the board.  It's not clear exactly what Rousseau is - he has great upside, but what exactly is he?  There are some guys who are more plug-and-play ready, you know what you're getting.   And Basham is in the discussion with those guys in terms of plug-and-play, but he's maybe a notch below them.   

Beane has a more solid roster than most teams, so when Rousseau falls to him, he's pumped, because he has the luxury of a solid roster and of already being a solid playoff team.   His team can afford to take some time figuring out what Rousseau is.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I might see Watt, someone else might see Mario Williams, Calais Campbell's been mentioned, JPP, whatever.  What Beane things he's getting is one of those, or someone at that level, and that's a good thing.  

Then Basham comes along and yes, Beane's ready to trade out of the second round until Basham keeps dropping.  Beane didn't take Basham because he thinks Rousseau will bust; he took him because he was too good to pass up.  If he ends up with two starting defensive ends three years from now, well, that's a nice problem to have.   

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Right.   I think in his mind, Beane got great value twice.   I followed the draft this year even less than in previous years, so I don't know anything about the DEs taken in the first round, but I think this:  If your team needs to improve - like you're trying to get better so you can get to the playoffs, or if your team is seriously in need of a DE for some other reason, you're not jumping at the chance to take Rousseau, because he's a bigger gamble than some other guys on the board.  It's not clear exactly what Rousseau is - he has great upside, but what exactly is he?  There are some guys who are more plug-and-play ready, you know what you're getting.   And Basham is in the discussion with those guys in terms of plug-and-play, but he's maybe a notch below them.   

Beane has a more solid roster than most teams, so when Rousseau falls to him, he's pumped, because he has the luxury of a solid roster and of already being a solid playoff team.   His team can afford to take some time figuring out what Rousseau is.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - I might see Watt, someone else might see Mario Williams, Calais Campbell's been mentioned, JPP, whatever.  What Beane things he's getting is one of those, or someone at that level, and that's a good thing.  

Then Basham comes along and yes, Beane's ready to trade out of the second round until Basham keeps dropping.  Beane didn't take Basham because he thinks Rousseau will bust; he took him because he was too good to pass up.  If he ends up with two starting defensive ends three years from now, well, that's a nice problem to have.   

I don’t necessarily disagree but if Beane was sure in what he had with Rousseau I can’t see him making the Basham pick when you also factor in Epenesa last year.  If all 3 of them hit, Beane isn’t gonna be able to sign them all to a 2nd contract.  Seems like it was a pick 3 and hope at least 1 or 2 hits deal .  My guess is if Beane knew Basham was gonna be there at pick 61, he would’ve picked a DB at pick 30.   

Edited by BuffaloRebound
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but if Beane was sure in what he had with Rousseau I can’t see him making the Basham pick when you also factor in Epenesa last year.  If all 3 of them hit, Beane isn’t gonna be able to sign them all to a 2nd contract.  Seems like it was a pick 3 and hope at least 1 or 2 hits deal .  My guess is if Beane knew Basham was gonna be there at pick 61, he would’ve picked a DB at pick 30.   

Pardon me for being blunt about it, but you have to realize that Beane takes the best player available in the early rounds.   He isn't looking his roster.   (Now, of course, if the BPA is a QB, Beane's not taking him.)   

If the BPA at 30 had been a corner, Beane would have taken him and probably hoped that one of Rousseau or Basham fell to him in the second round.   He may even have tried to trade up.   But Beane said that the corners they liked always were gone before their pick came.  

What Beane said was that Rousseau was his BPA at 30 - and happily filled a need, and Basham was a clear BPA in the next round, and he plays a "premium position."  In essence, he said maybe you can have too many good punters, but you can't have too many good defensive ends.  

I hear what you're saying about Epenesa and all, and the answer is that McDermott and Beane don't care.   They want the best talent they can get, and they'll figure out what to do with it.  Who knows what's going to happen?  Maybe Rousseau turns into a tackle and they trade Oliver.   Or they trade Epenesa.   Or one of them has a career-altering injury.   McBeane aren't concerned about that today (even though it confuses you and me).  They just aren't.   Take the best players you can get and figure out what to do with them later.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

JFC. You can’t be serious 

Actually I need to backtrack on that.

I honest did not realize that Mario Williams was approaching the 300 pound mark as a playing weight........I think our bambi is probably going to be more of a JPP type weight.

I think they are going to get him with a strength and nutrition guy and he will probably play 20 to 30 pounds heavier then he did in college eventually.......but that will not approach Mario Williams.

• Like (+1) 1

I never heard of Rosseau until his name was announced at the Bills pick but i do have faith in McBeane & company ! Greg seems like a Bills type of player though just from the little bit i've heard from him .

Some comparisons have been made to Maybin but from the minute Maybins name was mentioned at the draft he just looked less than enthused and it seemed as if he was acting just going through the motions Rosseau is not that way at all !! 

I put i don't know fr my vote but i sure do hope he turns out to be all they think he can be and his production can be close to what he did in his 1 really good yr at Miami because if he can be that guy they got one hell of a good player !! 

2 hours ago, T master said:

I never heard of Rosseau until his name was announced at the Bills pick but i do have faith in McBeane & company ! Greg seems like a Bills type of player though just from the little bit i've heard from him .

Some comparisons have been made to Maybin but from the minute Maybins name was mentioned at the draft he just looked less than enthused and it seemed as if he was acting just going through the motions Rosseau is not that way at all !! 

I put i don't know fr my vote but i sure do hope he turns out to be all they think he can be and his production can be close to what he did in his 1 really good yr at Miami because if he can be that guy they got one hell of a good player !! 

The comp is Cilias Campbell.  Same school similar size, similar measurables.  Covid 19 allowed a player like Rousseau to fall.  As a redshirt freshman first time playing de got 15.5 sacks.  If he had 1/2 that production last year he is a top 20 pick.  

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

Just from following and watching football for many years, I have a strong sense that Rousseau will become a great player in this league. Give him a year of coaching, conditioning and lived experience...he is going to be a force.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The comp is Cilias Campbell.  Same school similar size, similar measurables.  Covid 19 allowed a player like Rousseau to fall.  As a redshirt freshman first time playing de got 15.5 sacks.  If he had 1/2 that production last year he is a top 20 pick.  

while I would love this to be true, I don’t really see it. Rousseau played at about 246 and Calais played at close to 290. Even with a full year of bulking, Greg was about 25 lighter on draft day. Maybe Greg can grow into his body, but Calais was an much bigger as a draft prospect. 

• Agree 1