RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Picked up as an edge rusher, short window of college productivity, drafted on potential, 1 good college year, etc.

I'd say that's all you need. Looking back at Maybin's pre-draft breakdowns, he was highly touted and positively discussed quite often. Only the limited time with high production was brought up often. 

Way too broad of an apology.  No where near the same type of player and not drafted near each other.   There's little to compare to have any rational discussion about them but if you want to compare players we drafted 12 years apart, have fun.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Doc said:

LOL!  No I don't hate you.  You know your stuff, I'll give you that but you're not infallible.  Your arrogance is off-putting, but mostly it's amusing as I've dealt with worse.

If you've been right on all these, I will be sure to pay attention in the future.  And hope that Rousseau is as good as the other guys.

Pretty much this....Bado is one of the most knowlege posters on this board....but the arrogance goes against that

• Like (+1) 1

I just think this kid is a total manchild who could grow into something special......all the physical tools......limited but very good production.......in a great situation where he doesnt have to be "the man" coming out the gate.....allowing him to get his NFL feet under him.

Could be something really special

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

His hands are are over 11". Might be the largest in the NFL or at least not many larger. The guy Miami took only has 9 3/4" hands despite being 6'6. 

One of the knocks on Rousseau i have seen is that some of his sacks were coverage sacks and shoelace tackles. But I was thinking with those massive hands he might be a unique player in the NFL that gets a number of tackles and sacks with his hands. Those hands would be like bricks hitting a QB's feet.

I don’t care how he gets the QB on the ground. I will take shoelace tackles on Mahomes all day long rather then sitting there chilling picking us apart 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

From this article:

The Bills phoned Rosenhaus once the first round wound into the mid-20s, telling him they intended to select Rousseau if he was still available when they picked at No. 30.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Picked up as an edge rusher, short window of college productivity, drafted on potential, 1 good college year, etc.

I'd say that's all you need. Looking back at Maybin's pre-draft breakdowns, he was highly touted and positively discussed quite often. Only the limited time with high production was brought up often. 

Look at the crew that drafted Maybin..., that pretty much says it all, 

• Agree 1

6’7” with 6’11” wingspan and 11 inch hands with good closing speed and the body control to slither past blockers is rare.  Have no idea how he didn’t end up on a basketball court.  He’s Scottie Pippen plus 50 pounds of muscle.  You just don’t see length like that on an NFL field.  Excited to see what he can become.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Good article - nice explanantion of exactly how opting out helped his family and the reasons behind it.

Like the quote from his brother how the other AFC East teams that passed on him are going to regret it.  Phillips (who took his college number) going before him might fuel him a little more against the Dolphins too.

Edited by stevewin

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Somebody said it earlier. The pick reminds me an awful lot of Jason Taylor. Anyone else see the same? 

No.  In what ways are they similar?  Taylor was a 3rd round pick out of Akron.

Here’s the thing about Rousseau, imo.

he’s rarely going to beat him man on the edge and force the QB to throw or to move up in or out of the pocket. He’s the guy that going to get the sack after someone else forces the QB to scramble or reset.  I’m really starting to think he’s another 3T and once he gets stronger, he can be an anchor on the edge on early downs.  Swatting passes, playing the passing lanes and getting sacks on QBs transitioning in and out of the pocket is where he’ll make his money.  Hopefully additional strength will allow him to be a force be the run. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1