RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

16 minutes ago, par73 said:

My point, simply, is the guy is a project (he was a WR not that long ago). I also did not criticize him for opting out-- just stating that he only played one year (maybe another year would have helped his development).

If you check any draft analysis of him, you will actually see some negatives-- limited pass rush moves, strength, bad pro day. If not for negatives, he would have been long gone by the time the Bills. picked. And Maybin was not mentioned as a physical comparison-- just "bust potential"-- although Rousseau was taken much later.

I hope the guy works out (I personally wanted someone who could help in 2021-- a DB?, maybe a WR?).

He is exactly the selection for the future that Beane said he was going to be drafting in his pre-draft interview, why all this angst and drama about what we were all told in advance that we would be selecting??? We all knew this was the type of pick he was going for...,

7 hours ago, Demongyz said:

I don't know much about this dude, but from watching that FSU game video posted above, I'm reminded of Aaron Maybin.  This fellow looks too skinny to play Dline.  I don't know anything though, so I hope McBean are right on this pick.

I'm guessing he's not too skinny, else he wouldn't have been drafted as a Dlineman.

9 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

He is exactly the selection for the future that Beane said he was going to be drafting in his pre-draft interview, why all this angst and drama about what we were all told in advance that we would be selecting??? We all knew this was the type of pick he was going for...,

SB window can close quickly. I would like to see a 1st rounder who would have an immediate impact. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/chris-simms-unbuttoned/id1454809704?i=1000515378029 
listen from 1:19:52 - 1:22:52. Simms evaluation really puts in perspective why I’m not sold. Mabe someone can help me on why Simms is wrong with his evaluation. We don’t have a starting defensive end that can get to the qb, and I don’t think he’s the guy. 

Mario Addison was ranked 61st and Hughes 69th in sacks last year. That’s not even a starter IMO. There’s only 64 starters and there both in back half or second string category. Hughes also  plays a lot of the snaps. If a first round pick can’t beat out one of those guys then what’s he here for? 

1 minute ago, Codycolo12 said:

Mario Addison was ranked 61st and Hughes 69th in sacks last year. That’s not even a starter IMO. There’s only 64 starters and there both in back half or second string category. Hughes also  plays a lot of the snaps. If a first round pick can’t beat out one of those guys then what’s he here for? 

You can tell the people that never seen the Bills draft this late.

19 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/chris-simms-unbuttoned/id1454809704?i=1000515378029 
listen from 1:19:52 - 1:22:52. Simms evaluation really puts in perspective why I’m not sold. Mabe someone can help me on why Simms is wrong with his evaluation. We don’t have a starting defensive end that can get to the qb, and I don’t think he’s the guy. 

counterpoint: he could be the guy and there weren’t many ways to add a slam dunk there. 

32 minutes ago, par73 said:

SB window can close quickly. I would like to see a 1st rounder who would have an immediate impact. 

Nobody drafted at 30 can be expected to have an immediate impact.   You MIGHT find a day one starter, but even that is unlikely.  Not an edge, not a running back, not a receiver, not a defensive back.  Yes, a guy who plays more is more valuable than a guy who plays less in his rookie year, but the difference just isn't that big.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

Simms can have an opinion/assessment, but he isn't infallible. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The only problem is Rousseau seems attached to the number 5 for some reason. His Twitter handle is Greg_R5 and his college number was 15.

I'm not sure what the new rules allow with regard to DL flexibility, but I sort of thought he might try to get 15 here, as well, or maybe just 5, which obviously would have looked weird. Maybe not quite as weird as 50, though.

Hmmm....

ive never understood fans getting hung up on how numbers look though 

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The only problem is Rousseau seems attached to the number 5 for some reason. His Twitter handle is Greg_R5 and his college number was 15.

I'm not sure what the new rules allow with regard to DL flexibility, but I sort of thought he might try to get 15 here, as well, or maybe just 5, which obviously would have looked weird. Maybe not quite as weird as 50, though.

Hmmm....

ive never understood fans getting hung up on how numbers look though 

5 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I love the pick because the dude has the gifts and once he gains some experience and good coaching he will be a stud.  Book it just like i said we should missed the boat bigly not drafting Metcalf on the night of the draft after it happened and we took Ford.

What did any of those high priced signing do in that title game?  any big time plays that changed the game?   Addison is overpaid at his age and what he brings.  IMO

They sure did. They were part of a 13 win TEAM 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Theres no reason to think @MAJBobbyhas anything more important 

The issues were in his change of direction. Which doesn’t show up on tape. I think it likely has to do with his workout regimen and weight he put on during his opt out year. Get him in Bills Strength and Conditioning and I think that stiffness goes away. @DrPJax

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Hmmm....

This confirms to me that 95 is unofficially retired. 

22 minutes ago, par73 said:

Two things;

1) Who would that be at pick thirty? With all other organizational considerations accounted for?

2) The FO in Buffalo is not interested in the slightest in being a team with a short term window, would have thought folks would have figured that out by now. 

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

I don't get a lot of this.  I mean, the Bills pass rush wasn't good enough last season, but please, a little objectivity.  First, Hughes played 64% of the snaps, which is less than the starters on all the teams that don't platoon seriously.  So, there's that.  

Then there's the fact that Hughes was at or near the top of the league in QB pressures, which is the more important stat.  

Next, it's very obvious that rookies don't start game one in Buffalo.  Edmunds is the exception.  The Bills expect a lot of their players, and rookies rarely master enough, especially on the defense, to start early in their rookie year.  Addison and Hughes have knowledge about the game and knowledge about their assignments in the Frazier-McD defense that no rookie will have.  

If Rousseau turns out to be an ordinary first round pick for the Bills, he'll gradually increased snaps over the course of the year, a lot like Epenesa.  If he actually takes the starting job from one of the vets, then the pick is a homerun.

• Agree 2