RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Stupid. Needs to be 90 when random dude gets cut. Letting roster fodder get premium #’s is asinine.

The only problem is Rousseau seems attached to the number 5 for some reason. His Twitter handle is Greg_R5 and his college number was 15.

I'm not sure what the new rules allow with regard to DL flexibility, but I sort of thought he might try to get 15 here, as well, or maybe just 5, which obviously would have looked weird. Maybe not quite as weird as 50, though.

Hmmm....

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

The only problem is Rousseau seems attached to the number 5 for some reason. His Twitter handle is Greg_R5 and his college number was 15.

I'm not sure what the new rules allow with regard to DL flexibility, but I sort of thought he might try to get 15 here, as well, or maybe just 5, which obviously would have looked weird. Maybe not quite as weird as 50, though.

Hmmm....

75 would be a good number for him.   Good number for a wide shouldered, narrow hipped guy.    Marcellus Wiley's old # I believe.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

75 would be a good number for him.   Good number for a wide shouldered, narrow hipped guy.    Marcellus Wiley's old # I believe.  

As I went through the numbers in the 50s and the 90s that are already taken, I started to think that maybe going old school with a number in the 70s (which edge rushers don't do quite as much these days) might be the way to go.

I mean, I believe 95 is open, but I'm sure Bills fans would be super sensitive about and not necessarily receptive to seeing a rookie take that number this soon after Kyle retired. Not sure it would look great on a guy like Rousseau anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Very solid pick. Beane timed the DE run correct with Two going right after. 15.5 sacks yeah I will take that. Was going to go much higher before bad workout. And was the 3rd best player left on my board. Should have been gone before 30. 

What were the issues with his workout, and do you think they are a red flag or warning of any significance, or was it just a bad day?  Trust your opinion and am curious given he was not coming off any injuries and should have been in his best shape/ preparation given he took 2020 off. Thx for taking the time if you feel like replying,,,,no harm tho if you have other things more important going on! 😀

He wasn’t the guy I wanted, but the pick makes sense.  Looking at the DEs available, we made the right choice.  Many of the DEs that people were associating with our 2nd rd pick are already selected.  Definitely worried about CB2 though.  

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

He wasn’t the guy I wanted, but the pick makes sense.  Looking at the DEs available, we made the right choice.  Many of the DEs that people were associating with our 2nd rd pick are already selected.  Definitely worried about CB2 though.  

Good morning. Welcome back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

Looking through this thread, I find the player comps interesting.

Rousseau is really nothing like Aaron Maybin, Shaq Lawson, AJ Epenesa in anyway that I can tell.

Maybin was ridiculously undersized.  Not just in weight, but also in his overall frame.  It still baffles me that anyone believed he could put on the weight necessary to play Defensive End in the NFL.  Rousseau is already 20 pounds heavier that Maybin, and still has plenty of room to grow.  He has the potential to actually be a very big guy.

If anyone reminds me of Lawson in this draft, it was Kwity Paye (which is funny, because so many wanted us to trade-up for him).  Both came into the draft strong at setting the edge, and in run defense.  Both had/have room to grow as pass rushers.  We all know that Lawson became a solid NFL starter, but never hit that upside we were hoping for.  I could easily see Paye being the same type of player. 

With Epenesa, the Bills coaching staff wanted him to lose weight to become faster and more explosive.  Pretty much the complete opposite of what will be needed out of Rousseau.

as it turns out, his comparable doesn’t have to be a highly picked bills DE from the last decade. 

in fact, it’s a silly pool to limit oneself to in finding a comp

8 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

What were the issues with his workout, and do you think they are a red flag or warning of any significance, or was it just a bad day?  Trust your opinion and am curious given he was not coming off any injuries and should have been in his best shape/ preparation given he took 2020 off. Thx for taking the time if you feel like replying,,,,no harm tho if you have other things more important going on! 😀

Theres no reason to think @MAJBobbyhas anything more important 

• Haha (+1) 1

I like Rousseau and he is obviously a measured pick on their board. The Bills passed on several other DE’s that the “experts” projected to the Bills. Eventually he will be one of the most exciting Bills!

I never pretended to know CFB players so I rarely comment but I'll do some deep dives on our picks every year.

This a.m I looked at footage and read up on him and envisioned him being kicked inside on passing downs and Beane actually said that is their vision as well. He played great there as well vs quality competition.  

Nice chess piece for our DL. 

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

That’s a weak commentary, basing it on, “I heard” about this and that, and the conjecture about Maybin...  really?   And “ he opted out” as if that means he has no capacity to be a quality acquisition...., it just means he values his family, but some would hold that against him evidently...,  coverage sacks mean the player was doing his job, because the DBs were doing theirs, what’s to whimper about on that??  You may have heard of the, do your 1/11th... guess what, he was doing his 1/11th. 

My point, simply, is the guy is a project (he was a WR not that long ago). I also did not criticize him for opting out-- just stating that he only played one year (maybe another year would have helped his development).

If you check any draft analysis of him, you will actually see some negatives-- limited pass rush moves, strength, bad pro day. If not for negatives, he would have been long gone by the time the Bills. picked. And Maybin was not mentioned as a physical comparison-- just "bust potential"-- although Rousseau was taken much later.

I hope the guy works out (I personally wanted someone who could help in 2021-- a DB?, maybe a WR?).

16 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

https://youtu.be/mVp_B3k-RtE

Above is a 3 minute clip of his workout.  The concern is that he took the year off playing to focus on preparing for the draft and NFL, but did not seem to properly prepared for the drills and workout.  He scored below the 50th percentile in all of the drills except for the 40 yard dash according to this article.