RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

30 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Interesting comparison.  Rousseau isn't that strong, at least not yet, but the comparison is quite good.  

I was really curious to see how Rousseau's Miami tape compared to Dunlaps Florida tape, but I couldn't find anything on YouTube. Give Rousseau, who's still growing into his body, a few years in the weight room and league and maybe we'll have a Dunlap-lite DE on our hands. Someone who can can lock down the edge on his side of the field and use his long arms to stop the QB from stepping up through holes in the line/escaping the pocket to the outside. 

Edited by junior12thman92

I tapped Approve in the poll, but I honestly haven’t heard much about him prior after skipping last season.. Quite young, still growing and a lot of added weight he hasn’t played with before. But from what I have seen since last night is every McBeane box checked and we know what that represents.

So I’m good , with an asterisk that I don’t know shite!

3 hours ago, par73 said:

This was a lousy year for DE's. Rousseau , if considered a "sure thing," would have been gone 20 picks earlier. Struggled at his Pro Day and opted out last year. I've heard several of his sacks in '19 were "coverage sacks" and that he lacks any great pass rushing moves. Needs to improve there, add strength.

He is a project with high bust potential, which is why some have conjured images of Maybin.

That’s a weak commentary, basing it on, “I heard” about this and that, and the conjecture about Maybin...  really?   And “ he opted out” as if that means he has no capacity to be a quality acquisition...., it just means he values his family, but some would hold that against him evidently...,  coverage sacks mean the player was doing his job, because the DBs were doing theirs, what’s to whimper about on that??  You may have heard of the, do your 1/11th... guess what, he was doing his 1/11th. 

At least the decision of GM  is logical. Bills  needed DE badly. They took the best option at 30th pick.

It’s not selecting Spiller in top10 when you have Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on your roster and a lot of holes at other positions.

Guy seems to have the physical attributes.  Doesn’t look to have the explosion to get the better of the blocker.  Seems a bit stiff.

Huge wingspan for pushing blockers, reaching for the tackle and batting passes.  Would have preferred a CB, but if our d-line can consistently get pressure, that will ease the burden in the defensive backfield.

With Epenesa in his 2nd year and hopefully Obada blossoms giving Rousseau time for on-the-job-training. 

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/04/greg-rousseau-a-top-10-talent-steal-for-buffalo-bills-says-manny-diaz.html

“I think his upside is without limits,” said [Hurricanes coach Manny] Diaz. “I really do. There’s no telling what a 2020 Greg Rousseau would have looked like. All we saw was the 2019 version and that was really his first year playing defensive end... The relentless motor, the length, the ability to bend and move for that size... those are all things that are elite.”

Beane said he was not drafting for know but the future 

25 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/04/greg-rousseau-a-top-10-talent-steal-for-buffalo-bills-says-manny-diaz.html

“I think his upside is without limits,” said [Hurricanes coach Manny] Diaz. “I really do. There’s no telling what a 2020 Greg Rousseau would have looked like. All we saw was the 2019 version and that was really his first year playing defensive end... The relentless motor, the length, the ability to bend and move for that size... those are all things that are elite.”

Imagine what would've happened to Zach Wilson's draft stock if he sat out last year lol rousseau could definitely have been an absolute animal and we'll just never know

8 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Guy seems to have the physical attributes.  Doesn’t look to have the explosion to get the better of the blocker.  Seems a bit stiff.

Huge wingspan for pushing blockers, reaching for the tackle and batting passes.  Would have preferred a CB, but if our d-line can consistently get pressure, that will ease the burden in the defensive backfield.

With Epenesa in his 2nd year and hopefully Obada blossoms giving Rousseau time for on-the-job-training. 

Yea I thought we were going corner but Asante Samuel Jr seemed like a bit of a reach 

Looking through this thread, I find the player comps interesting.

Rousseau is really nothing like Aaron Maybin, Shaq Lawson, AJ Epenesa in anyway that I can tell.

Maybin was ridiculously undersized.  Not just in weight, but also in his overall frame.  It still baffles me that anyone believed he could put on the weight necessary to play Defensive End in the NFL.  Rousseau is already 20 pounds heavier that Maybin, and still has plenty of room to grow.  He has the potential to actually be a very big guy.

If anyone reminds me of Lawson in this draft, it was Kwity Paye (which is funny, because so many wanted us to trade-up for him).  Both came into the draft strong at setting the edge, and in run defense.  Both had/have room to grow as pass rushers.  We all know that Lawson became a solid NFL starter, but never hit that upside we were hoping for.  I could easily see Paye being the same type of player. 

With Epenesa, the Bills coaching staff wanted him to lose weight to become faster and more explosive.  Pretty much the complete opposite of what will be needed out of Rousseau.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Mango said:

So we are back to liking PFF? 

Who is this "we" of whom you speak?

Speaking for myself only, still not a Collinsworth fan.  He along with Richard Sherman interviewed Beane after the season, and he

1) kept cutting Sherman off or talking over him which I thought was rude - if you're gonna have the guy on, figure out how to work with him nicely

2) implied that Beane was in a "cleft stick" because if he extended Allen, he might turn out like Goff or Wentz but if he doesn't, Allen is so engrained in the community with a wing of Oishei Children's Hospital named for his Grandmother, that it wouldn't go over well - just the way he phrased it and brought it up was, I thought, kind of tacky.  Beane of course handled it beautifully saying "I do believe in Josh Allen, but we'll get through free agency and the draft and then look at extending players"

PFF is right sometimes, but hey, even a busted clock is right twice a day.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Since last year

I know it’s our civic duty and all to help those afflicted with mental disorders.. That’s why it’s so refreshing to see you step and do your part for the less fortunate, Joe! 

You're a gentleman and a scholar!👍 

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I was not comparing him to Shaq as a player.  I was comparing the fan reactions to the two picks. 

That certainly wasn't my reaction to Shaq.   Or Ragland. 

I will put it this way..........I am often seen as a skeptic of McBeane because I try to be objective about their decisions...........but 4 of the 5 first round picks they've made have been guys I wanted.........White(my #1 CB in that class), Edmunds(my #1 pass rusher in that class) and Allen(biggest upside QB) and now Rousseau(my #1 pass rusher in this class).    

I preferred DK Metcalf over Ed Oliver.......and I'm still burnt about them passing a SECOND time on him........but in round one I knew the writing was on the wall that they needed a KW replacement and I felt he could be a 10 sack guy from the 3 tech in time so liked the player a lot.    Pass rusher is second only to QB in importance(which to my satisfaction Beane said himself last night).

In my 30 years of draftnik'ing the Bills almost never took the guy that I wanted.........there was no system or process, each draft was viewed as a separate event and the focus was too heavy toward immediate returns.........and they subsequently got diminishing returns in the 90's and then sucked in the 2000's.

Beane seems to understand what round 1 is all about.    His PC after the pick was music to my ears.......all the things I have been preaching for 15 years during the draft process.    

• Like (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

9 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Stupid. Needs to be 90 when random dude gets cut. Letting roster fodder get premium #’s is asinine.

lots of numbers available...not sure why they gave him one that was already being used (Tyrell Adams  #50)