RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree, the fact it was one year cause some to pause, not me. I trust Beane and now it’s on McDermott and the coaches to get the most out of Rousseau.

I get the pause on one year of production.  But that’s life in a time of Covid.  I don’t believe in season long flukes though.  What he was able to do is, at least, what he’s capable of.  Like you say,  it’s up to the coaches to normalize and build on those capabilities.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is not where I thought this post would end given its beginning.

Glad you approve

I love the pick because the dude has the gifts and once he gains some experience and good coaching he will be a stud.  Book it just like i said we should missed the boat bigly not drafting Metcalf on the night of the draft after it happened and we took Ford.

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

well to address the bold. 

part of a 13 win team and one that was 45 minutes from the Super Bowl. 

What did any of those high priced signing do in that title game?  any big time plays that changed the game?   Addison is overpaid at his age and what he brings.  IMO

3 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Maybin to Rousseau is not a good comparison. Maybin struggled to keep weight on and was at the combine between 220-230lbs. Maybin had no ability to play on the inside and he was a straight line speed guy. Rousseau is taller, more arm length, heavier 260-270, and can play inside and out. He is much more like Buckner from the Colts than Maybin but time will tell. 

It's just the way the description comes across. Also, almost all the time he was on the inside he would swing wide to the end, so I don't really see him as a viable hand on the ground inside guy. Excited for the potential though.  

45 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Pros:

Position of need

High ceiling

Cons:

Bit of a reach (consensus seems to be late 1st to late 2nd rounder) 

Opting out of 2020 season. Will he be ready to make an impact in 2021? How is his work ethic? 

Feels like we could've traded down 10-15 picks and still very likely been able to pick him. Maybe Beane was trying and couldn't find a trade partner? 

First neither Con is super accurate as yes he was a consensus late first - early second guy and we drafted him late first - so right on value - not sure why that would be a con.

His work ethic is well thought of - as an example - he picked up a ton of extra classes in high school to graduate early because he wanted to attend the U for spring practice before his freshman year because he was changing position.  He worked super hard to graduate - just so he could get to the U and maximize his practice and learning - Manny Diaz talked about how much that meant.

His work ethic was also evident incoming back from a fractured ankle his freshman year and then getting 15.5 sacks and 19.5 TFLs.

I highlighted my biggest question - what in the world makes you think we could of traded back 10-15 picks and still got him?  It sounds like from the guys talking about Baltimore - that was their pick and we took him - forcing them to take Oweh.   If we moved back at all - it is very highly likely that he was gone before the end of Round 1.  There was him and Oweh left of the 1st pass DEs and then Tryon starting the next wave and all 3 went with the last 3 picks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Maybin to Rousseau is not a good comparison. Maybin struggled to keep weight on and was at the combine between 220-230lbs. Maybin had no ability to play on the inside and he was a straight line speed guy. Rousseau is taller, more arm length, heavier 260-270, and can play inside and out. He is much more like Buckner from the Colts than Maybin but time will tell. 

Not the worst comparison in terms of rush ability. Both players were very raw when it comes to rushing the passer. But I think both are very different in what they're projected to be as a pro. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Rousseau hit the 280's in a year or two and become a dominant overall player that sets the edge and gives you 6-8 sacks. 

This was the year to take a swing like this, we're not likely to get another opportunity like this where a potential very high pick falls due to opting out. Great teams don't just find a way to adapt to a difficult change but find a way to get an advantage from it.

• Like (+1) 1

This was my target/wish going into the draft.  However I won't lie.  When I saw JOK sitting there I was hopeful.  But I am glad we got Rousseau.  DE & CB are the two main priorities for me in this draft.  Possibly 2 CBs.  Late round targets for me would be Javian Hawkins RB, Paulson Adeebo (if we can't snag Georgia, Syracuse or Kentucky CB), Avery Williams ST.  I would be happy with O-line as well.  

I will watch tonight and enjoy without the stress of who we get because really I like the way the draft has gone so far.  I just don't want us to trade any picks form next years draft.  Bonus would be picking up a 3 or 4 from next year on a trade back.

Admittedly, I've never been more out of the loop than I am this year for all things NFL.  I have very little knowledge of these draft prospects, but I like that OBD is tackling areas of need.  Ultimately McDermott/Beane always seem to be able to see the forest for the trees - and that is encouraging. 

53 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Anyone who doesn’t like the pick needs to hit up the Locked on Bills podcast from today. Marino spoke with Brently Weissman (former scout, works at TDN) and he raved about Rous.

One mans opinion, but it took me from “meh, we’ll see” to “let’s ***** go!”

Thanks for this.  Marino is really good.   Has a great explanation of Beane's style - the kind of players he's looking for.  It's very well done.   Plus, he scouted Rousseau in detail before the draft, and he reads his whole analysis.   It's excellent.   Haven't heard Weissman yet.  

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Only on TBD would someone decide that we reached at pick 30 for a “late first to late second” player.... 

Thought the same thing.   Reach?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Thanks for this.  Marino is really good.   Has a great explanation of Beane's style - the kind of players he's looking for.  It's very well done.   Plus, he scouted Rousseau in detail before the draft, and he reads his whole analysis.   It's excellent.   Haven't heard Weissman yet.  

Okay.  They're getting me to the bargaining stage pretty quickly.