RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

1 hour ago, Logic said:

He couldn't be more different from Aaron Maybin.

Still looks like a gangly dude running about.  I'm sorry, but I'm 6'6" 250lbs and I couldn't play d-line to save my life.  (I know you are surprised)

As I said, I know nothing of him except the 5 minutes of video I watched, but that was the first thing that came to mind. Some tall guy who looks half as thick as everyone else trying to get to the QB.  

1 hour ago, Logic said:

This is the most important tweet to me. Especially with COVID obliterating the normal scouting process, teams are really relying on the connections they have to identify good prospects.

McBean wanted/needed another edge rusher and and their connection to Manny Diaz gave them the confidence to take Rousseau over a couple other prospects that fit our need. And it’s probably no surprise this Manny Diaz was interviewed by Glab and Chris Brown in the post draft show they did.

expect more of the same this year with early prospects from programs the Bills have connections with...

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

I haven’t heard one expert say this is a good pick. Those sacks were from the qb holding the ball to long or no one blocked the dude. Just because he has 15 sacks doesn’t mean anything. Listen to Chris Simms, Connor Rodgers, Chris Trapasso, Bruce Nolan. It sounds like he is getting red shirted. He might be good in two years, but who gets a guy in the first round that cannot help the defense till 2022-2023. Sounds like another Epenesa. He should have been a 2023 first round pick if he reaches that Ceiling. Hearing that sounds like he’s on a 2-3 year contract but we have him for 4-5. 

defensive Ends or linemen in general their Measurements are very important. 3 cone drill was terrible. His vert was 30 inches (in the red). He Is not very strong. The only elite trait he has is he’s tall. Sometimes stats don’t mean anything in college. 

Add in the fact that this team has been trying to fix the d line for a few years and nothing has panned out. Mabe an  inkling that they don’t know how to draft or pick up a FA D linemen at all. Murphy, Star, Epenesa, Addison, Oliver, Vernon butler, Jefferson. The list goes on. most expensive D line in football and nothing to show for it. Can’t get a sack and can’t stop the run?

I thought it was going to come down to - Barmore, Samuel Jr, Moore. 

They do seem to like the same type of DE - Johnson, Epenesa, Obada  and now Rousseau. 

None of them profile as huge sack DE's, they are the 3-5 sack/season guys, who are more balanced run/pass.  

But an average starting DE is what you're going to get at the end of the 1st Round. They said it all week, that only 4 of 36 DEs taken with picks 25-32 have ever mustered double digit sacks since 2010 or so (Capaccio). 

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Having NFL nutritionists available, world class gym after a year off working out... wherever.  I'm not worried about the testing tbh, more of my concern would be about his development of moves and counters.

Just seeing him in a suit he looked like he could easily gain some weight.

What I really noticed is when watching the predraft coverage- I was not sure who all the players in Cleveland where, but there was one guy that stood out.  He was a head taller than the other guys and just looked like a man standing there.  

I didn’t know who he was and largely forgot until our pick - most of those guys came and went and then we pick and this big, tall guy with a huge smile is in the frame and I realized - wow we got the man and the boy is the new Jets QB (a guy that is no slouch at 6’3, but looked so small.

He just seemed like a guy with so much growth potential, but already has the beginnings of a mans body.

Pros:

Position of need

High ceiling

Cons:

Bit of a reach (consensus seems to be late 1st to late 2nd rounder) 

Opting out of 2020 season. Will he be ready to make an impact in 2021? How is his work ethic? 

Feels like we could've traded down 10-15 picks and still very likely been able to pick him. Maybe Beane was trying and couldn't find a trade partner? 

8 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

What I really noticed is when watching the predraft coverage- I was not sure who all the players in Cleveland where, but there was one guy that stood out.  He was a head taller than the other guys and just looked like a man standing there.  

I didn’t know who he was and largely forgot until our pick - most of those guys came and went and then we pick and this big, tall guy with a huge smile is in the frame and I realized - wow we got the man and the boy is the new Jets QB (a guy that is no slouch at 6’3, but looked so small.

He just seemed like a guy with so much growth potential, but already has the beginnings of a mans body.

That makes me feel a bit better about the pick.  Also, it turns out he's just turned 21, so we can probably expect him to put on 20 lbs in the next year or so if he follows the guidance of the S&C team...

Maybin was going to get bigger as well, but he became an artist instead.  We shall see.

1 hour ago, Codycolo12 said:

I haven’t heard one expert say this is a good pick. Those sacks were from the qb holding the ball to long or no one blocked the dude. Just because he has 15 sacks doesn’t mean anything. Listen to Chris Simms, Connor Rodgers, Chris Trapasso, Bruce Nolan. It sounds like he is getting red shirted. He might be good in two years, but who gets a guy in the first round that cannot help the defense till 2022-2023. Sounds like another Epenesa. He should have been a 2023 first round pick if he reaches that Ceiling. Hearing that sounds like he’s on a 2-3 year contract but we have him for 4-5. 

defensive Ends or linemen in general their Measurements are very important. 3 cone drill was terrible. His vert was 30 inches (in the red). He Is not very strong. The only elite trait he has is he’s tall. Sometimes stats don’t mean anything in college. 

Add in the fact that this team has been trying to fix the d line for a few years and nothing has panned out. Mabe an  inkling that they don’t know how to draft or pick up a FA D linemen at all. Murphy, Star, Epenesa, Addison, Oliver, Vernon butler, Jefferson. The list goes on. most expensive D line in football and nothing to show for it. Can’t get a sack and can’t stop the run?

This is simply not true in any way.  How can anyone with a shred of objectivity completely discount 15 sacks in a season? If all of his sacks were just a case of the QB holding the ball too long, Why didn't every average  DE have 15 sacks against those same QBs?  Every player accumulates some of their sacks on those types of plays.  Do you think that other prospects never had the luxury of good coverage or a QB holding the ball?  

Edited by chknwing334
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wasn't aware of him before the draft, but I really haven't paid much attention this year. That being said, I like the pick. Watching his highlight reel, I noticed that he tends to watch where the ball is at all times and sheds the block to go after the ball. That was the thing that I noticed the most: getting off his blocks and attacking the person with the ball.

I like his size, too. A couple of sacks he got was because he stretched that big frame out to reach for the QB. Either reaching in from the edge or as he's falling down getting blocked and reaches out to trip-up the QB. I think he might do good against a running QB. 

56 minutes ago, Simon said:

A huge part of that is because he can actually see the ball.

Being able to play with your head up and maintain that peripheral vision in the midst of combat is a vastly underrated ability that doesn't come naturally to a lot of guys and isn't particularly coachable. That combination of vision and length should enable this guy to close fast on the ball and finish a lot of plays that other guys wouldn't.

Excellent decision from the Bills braintrust to use the #30 on this kid.

This is an excellent point.   At least on the highlight reels, he always sees what's going on and reacting to it.  And part of the ability to see and react is the way he uses his hands to stay in contact with but off the blocker - by staying off the blocker he can see what's going on around him.  

• Like (+1) 3

Anyone who doesn’t like the pick needs to hit up the Locked on Bills podcast from today. Marino spoke with Brently Weissman (former scout, works at TDN) and he raved about Rous.

One mans opinion, but it took me from “meh, we’ll see” to “let’s ***** go!”

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Pros:

Position of need

High ceiling

Cons:

Opting out of 2020 season. Will he be ready to make an impact in 2021? How is his work ethic? 

Feels like we could've traded down 10-15 picks and still very likely been able to pick him. Maybe Beane was trying and couldn't find a trade partner? 

Beane said after the Draft that the Bills explored both sides of a trade, and that one team showed interest in trading up and the Bills could have moved back, but the Bills were focused on Rousseau the way the Draft fell. 

20 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Pros:

Position of need

High ceiling

Cons:

Not even the slimmest of chance of trading down and still drafting Rousseau. He would have been taken in one of the next two picks.

• Like (+1) 4

I'm watching Rousseau's interview from last night with the Buffalo media, and I've gotta say this...

He seems like a really great kid. Smart, humble, friendly, genuine...seems to have his priorities in order in terms of opting out to take care of his family during COVID and whatnot.

I know that being a great guy doesn't mean he'll be a great player. However, when you're hoping for a very raw player of considerable physical talents to reach his high potential, knowing that he's a humble, hard working, high character person is huge. It is that character and work ethic that will be key in becoming what the Bills think he can become, if he's able to do it.

Happy for Rousseau and glad he's a Bill.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1