RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

29 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Chris Collinsworth give a decent evaluation of Rousseau. It's his length that could make him an elite edge player. He doesn't win a lot but those long arms allows him to still affect the QB. If he learns some rush moves he'll be more than a handful. 

I like his comment: "He's just always there." (around the QB)

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Every play he's a threat to run away from the blocker and get to the ball.

A huge part of that is because he can actually see the ball.

Being able to play with your head up and maintain that peripheral vision in the midst of combat is a vastly underrated ability that doesn't come naturally to a lot of guys and isn't particularly coachable. That combination of vision and length should enable this guy to close fast on the ball and finish a lot of plays that other guys wouldn't.

Excellent decision from the Bills braintrust to use the #30 on this kid.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Those pro day numbers are awful like the only comparable players who worked with similarly bad measurables are jpp or tamba hali. His highlights show he has a nose for making plays in the pocket which is encouraging so I guess we are hoping for a jpp type dude making inside plays. Dont love the pick. Thought oweh made a lot of sense with our d lacking elite speed guys.

40 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

The guy said it perfectly. People down on Rousseau were evaluating him as a top 5 prospect, which what some analysts were projecting early in the draft process. He says Rousseau is the type of prospect you draft in the 30's. 

That's exactly where he went. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, WideNine said:

Looks like he dropped because of his covid opt-out and the fact that it seems he bulked up for his pro-day and that hurt some of his quickness.

Not sure if I am overly concerned with that pro-day showing, an NFL training regimen will have him fill out that frame w/o losing the quickness. Could be a steal - can live with this pick.

We have to remember that For a time, Rousseau was in the top 10 conversation. Like you said...a training regimen will bring him up to speed. We haven’t seen his ceiling at all.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Like what exactly.

On most boards he was expected right in this area.

He is at a position of need for depth.

He was one of the DEs with good scheme for what Buffalo wants.

He was also at a position with a huge drop off in talent - so good scheme and body fit, at a premium position, at the right time, and the pick created a run of the lesser guys right after - meaning we most likely lose out with a trade down.

All told I am happy with getting the pick - so much better than what was being mocked our way.

When you step back away from the pick without the emotions or what ifs, he fits Beane's first round profile to a T, the Intangibles:

athleticism (RAS)

Size and length

Room to grow into his frame

Younger than 22 -23

Hard worker (spent time watching film)

Cares about his family

(Not sure on wrestling background or faith)

Feeling the coaches can develop to his potential

Look for these characteristics in rd 2 and 3 in positions of need, Beane will move for them...

The players available at this pick, edge did stick out and we got in before balt and tb did. These are project guys, but the value is there. I do wonder if Newsome was there if that would have been the pick. I didn't think about Rousseau because I didn't expect him to be there as a realistic pick. I expected the edge guys to get overdrafted a bit. It's a fine pick for #30.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

Those pro day numbers are awful like the only comparable players who worked with similarly bad measurables are jpp or tamba hali. His highlights show he has a nose for making plays in the pocket which is encouraging so I guess we are hoping for a jpp type dude making inside plays. Dont love the pick. Thought oweh made a lot of sense with our d lacking elite speed guys.

His measureables, Pro Day Numbers and where he was drafted are very similar to Calais Campbell coming out of the same school ( Miami) BTW Calais Campbell is his mentor.

• Like (+1) 2

I think he becomes Cilas Cambell and creates that kind of disruption.  Looks pretty distributed 266.  He looked thicker at his proday than in 2019.  Imo thats simply a 19 year old kid growing into his frame.  As a 6-3 240 de his agility would be a concern at 6-7 270 I dont see an issue.  Production is production.  I think Covid allowed him to be there at 30.  He plays in 2020 he goes top 15.

Edited by Mat68
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Bado -

This is a really good description of what I see on the highlights of his play.   I just commented on his hands, but you captured it better.  His athleticism helps him find his way to the quarterback, somehow.   Half the time he looks like he's completely out of control when he gets there, but then his hands find the ball, or find an ankle, or find a handful of jersey.   He does look like the opposite of Shaq.   Shaq is solid, but not a closer.  This guy looks like a closer - when he gets there, he's going to make a play. 

I know he's put on weight since 2019, and it's clear from the video that he could carry more weight.   It's also clear from the video that he has very little technique.  He played offense in high school, I guess until his senior year, and it's easy to imagine that they just put him on the field as a defender and said "go get the ball carrier."   He didn't need technique to beat high schoolers, and he didn't have time to learn any.   Then he missed most of his true freshman season.  I think his 2019 film shows a guy who is far from reaching his potential.  

This is a real nice summary.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's fair that you think this, but can you explain why?

Jayson Oweh may be the classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" guy.  There are numbers that get your attention, and Zero is one of them.

Zero sacks.  Doesn't that concern you, even a bit?

The Ravens seem to be DL university, in the same way the Steelers were once "LB U" noted for developing LB, so maybe he will be the "Steal of the draft" as some are saying.  Or maybe not.

Azeez Ojulari was flagged as having a "degenerative lower leg condition"

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/04/28/2021-nfl-draft-could-azeez-ojulari-fall-kc-chiefs/

He's also smaller, and profiled as a better fit at OLB.

So you may rather have them, but at best, you need to 'splain why

I haven’t heard one expert say this is a good pick. Those sacks were from the qb holding the ball to long or no one blocked the dude. Just because he has 15 sacks doesn’t mean anything. Listen to Chris Simms, Connor Rodgers, Chris Trapasso, Bruce Nolan. It sounds like he is getting red shirted. He might be good in two years, but who gets a guy in the first round that cannot help the defense till 2022-2023. Sounds like another Epenesa. He should have been a 2023 first round pick if he reaches that Ceiling. Hearing that sounds like he’s on a 2-3 year contract but we have him for 4-5. 

defensive Ends or linemen in general their Measurements are very important. 3 cone drill was terrible. His vert was 30 inches (in the red). He Is not very strong. The only elite trait he has is he’s tall. Sometimes stats don’t mean anything in college. 

Add in the fact that this team has been trying to fix the d line for a few years and nothing has panned out. Mabe an  inkling that they don’t know how to draft or pick up a FA D linemen at all. Murphy, Star, Epenesa, Addison, Oliver, Vernon butler, Jefferson. The list goes on. most expensive D line in football and nothing to show for it. Can’t get a sack and can’t stop the run?

• Eyeroll 2

4 minutes ago, Protocal69 said:

His measureables, Pro Day Numbers and where he was drafted are very similar to Calais Campbell coming out of the same school ( Miami) BTW Calais Campbell is his mentor.

Sometimes we all have bad days! 

18 minutes ago, Simon said:

A huge part of that is because he can actually see the ball.

Being able to play with your head up and maintain that peripheral vision in the midst of combat is a vastly underrated ability that doesn't come naturally to a lot of guys and isn't particularly coachable. That combination of vision and length should enable this guy to close fast on the ball and finish a lot of plays that other guys wouldn't.

Excellent decision from the Bills braintrust to use the #30 on this kid.

also should effect passing lanes 

With his head up and long reach - he can impact quick releases 

we need a turnover creator and between pressure for sacks, reach for qb strips  and tips he has a few things going for him there 

Edited by NoSaint

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ravens fans seem to be angry, they wanted Rousseau over oweh 

I can totally see that Rousseau is a Campbell match - a great fit for them to learn and has a bunch of flexibility.

Oweh - he has elite straight line speed, but that lead to almost no actual production in sacks and really is not a great scheme fit for either team. 

I love his speed, but running outside the tackle and allowing the QB to step up is going to be killer in that division.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Would be interesting to know if they really had rousseau higher on their board than jaelin phillips. I know beane said we got our guy and ill take his word but hes said that before too. They both had issues but i dont wanna feel like we panicked and got miamis sloppy seconds either lol

Edited by BillsSbSoon

2 minutes ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Would be interesting to know if they really had rousseau higher on their board than jaelin phillips. I know beane said we got our guy and ill take his word but hes said that before too. They both had issues but i dont wanna feel like we panicked and got miamis sloppy seconds either lol

Wouldn't surprise me with the medical. Also Bills like those long rangy DE's. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I’m sure that he will work on earning your trust.

That would be good...it would mean he is starting to “hit” on his defensive picks more frequently...👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2