RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

Okay, I've had a little while to digest this.  

I have no idea whether this pick will turn out well or not.   It's a shot in the dark, kind of uncharacteristic for Beane.   Well, characteristic in one sense - he's unpredictable.  

The Rousseau pick looks a bit like the Edmunds pick - take a long, skinny guy who is something of a project and see if you can make him into a monster defender.   Edmunds was less of a question mark, but teams weren't quite sure what to make of him.   Beane went after him enthusiastically when other teams were hesitant.   Now he's gone after Rousseau.

Rousseau was a receiver in high school, and you can tell watching his highlights.   His full season at Miami, it was all about his athleticism and his hands.   He gets his hands on the QB, on the ball, on the ball carrier.   He has hands like a basketball rebounder.  But his lack of technique, absence of power moves, etc. also is apparent.  

The guy's upside is almost unimaginable.   He looks like he could play at 280 - put 20 pounds of muscle on him over the next two years.   He is high motor.   He's athletic.  Teach him some technique.  He's already shown that he can play inside a bit, and when he's bigger he actually might be able to hold his own in there.  McDermott loves that flexibility.  Who knows what Rousseau could become?   Don't get all bent out of shape here, because I'm not saying it will happen, but he has the ingredients to be a disruptor like JJ Watt.   And, of course, if Rousseau is already better than we think, if he can be an impact player by November of 2021, then the pick is a homerun - a special edge rusher added to the defense this season is probably the single biggest improvement the Bills could make.  

But it's an extraordinary gamble to take with your first-round pick.   Safer gamble than a pick like Maybin, because the Bills are a good team and can afford to miss on a player more than the Bills could a decade ago.  On the other hand, the Bills are close to the top, and getting a guy who could contribute as a rookie, especially getting a rookie with high probability of being able to replace one of the safeties over the next couple of seasons, would add to the Bills' competitiveness.  

I default to the faith I have in McDermott and Beane.  I think the pick doesn't look like as big a gamble to them as it looks to the fans.  I would guess the McBeane have gotten to know Rousseau well enough to know that he was the work ethic and intensity that they want in every player.  I would guess that they are quite sure he won't be a bust - that is, he isn't a guy they will look at three years from now and say, "well, that was a mistake."   I think they decided, they know, that Rousseau will be at least a solid contributor and at best the steal of the first round of the 2021 draft.  

I like it.  However, gambling like this puts the pressure on the second day picks.   Beane needs to find a couple of solid contributors.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

He definitely fell after landing on his vertical jump... It's not unusually for guys to land akwardley. 

I read someone say he slipped on the 3 cone. I can't verify if that was metaphorical or literal.

As for his 40, 4.68 and the best 10 second split is still elite. Even if Phillips beat his time. He ran faster than JPP and Bruce Smith for Christ sakes. 

On the 3 cone - it was stated he knocked over cones on his first 2 goes. The recorded score was his 3rd attempt in short succession and he was a bit winded after the first 2 bursts and he was a bit cautious trying to avoid the cones on the last go.

Sounded like it really impacted the timing.

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ravens fans seem to be angry, they wanted Rousseau over oweh 

NFL fans thinking they know more than their team's GM?  I'm SHOCKED! 🤣 

I don't have much to say on the pick - guessing Beane & McD know more than me, so ya know.  Looks like a nice potential upside on the kid, though.  The positive of taking him in the 1st is you have the 5th year option if he does develop into a beast after a couple years...

• Haha (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Did he really need a counter move with 19.5 sacks? Had he come out the year with Chase Young, he would’ve been a top 10 pick

That's something no one would know. Likely no. If he was rated that highly he would've still been rated that highly this year. He's no where near Chase Young. 

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ravens fans seem to be angry, they wanted Rousseau over oweh 

Looking at how the draft fell you really couldn't go wrong with either player. 

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

On the 3 cone - it was stated he knocked over cones on his first 2 goes. The recorded score was his 3rd attempt in short succession and he was a bit winded after the first 2 bursts and he was a bit cautious trying to avoid the cones on the last go.

Sounded like it really impacted the timing.

Taller guys usually don't do so great on the agility drills, anyway. I don't think it's much of an issue whatever the case may be. 

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Was wondering about your view given that he's a Cane. Looking at the stats, the Canes' defense was good that year (23rd in points per game given up) but the offense was pretty bad (90th in points per game). He was the top dog on that defense, it appears.

I'm by no means a homer.........seeing these guys every game I see all the warts........but Rousseau's opt out was a crushing blow for Miami.    Jaelan Phillips was a poor substitute for Rousseau.   There were games it looked like nobody WANTED to make a tackle.   UNC ran for 550 yards against the "Phillips lead" Miami in the regular season finale.   Pathetic.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm just going to paste a bunch of Tweets I'm liking today, because I know a lot of people here aren't on the Twitters. Here goes:

And lastly, I'll just say...everything Bruce and Marino say in the Tweets above is right on.

Beane is betting that his coaches (and Rousseau's work ethic) can bridge the gap between what Rousseau is and what he can become. The traits are there, the potential is there, the work ethic and character are there, we have a great coaching setup with McDermott/Frazier/Washington, and a duo of crafty veterans for him to learn under.

Go get it, Groot.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

2) We have a DE on the team in Jerry Hughes who gets TONS of pressure with an impressive pass rushing skillset........but doesn't make plays.   Rousseau was surrounded by college versions of Hughes at Miami in his great year 19 age season.   Bees buzzing around the QB but Rousseau was the only one who could play with his head up and then reach out and make the plays.    

3) I don't see the Shaq comp at all.   That was a "meh" pick.......as I said here at the time..........low ceiling.    A more conventional, smaller guy like that needs a lot more juice to impact the QB and he simply didn't have the burst.   His get off was abysmal.   While Rousseau isn't twitchy he impacts OL quickly with the long arms and strides and powerful hands and doesn't allow them to execute their technique. 

Bado -

This is a really good description of what I see on the highlights of his play.   I just commented on his hands, but you captured it better.  His athleticism helps him find his way to the quarterback, somehow.   Half the time he looks like he's completely out of control when he gets there, but then his hands find the ball, or find an ankle, or find a handful of jersey.   He does look like the opposite of Shaq.   Shaq is solid, but not a closer.  This guy looks like a closer - when he gets there, he's going to make a play. 

I know he's put on weight since 2019, and it's clear from the video that he could carry more weight.   It's also clear from the video that he has very little technique.  He played offense in high school, I guess until his senior year, and it's easy to imagine that they just put him on the field as a defender and said "go get the ball carrier."   He didn't need technique to beat high schoolers, and he didn't have time to learn any.   Then he missed most of his true freshman season.  I think his 2019 film shows a guy who is far from reaching his potential.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have no idea whether this pick will turn out well or not.   It's a shot in the dark, kind of uncharacteristic for Beane.   Well, characteristic in one sense - he's unpredictable.  

The Rousseau pick looks a bit like the Edmunds pick - take a long, skinny guy who is something of a project and see if you can make him into a monster defender.   Edmunds was less of a question mark, but teams weren't quite sure what to make of him.   Beane went after him enthusiastically when other teams were hesitant.   Now he's gone after Rousseau.

Rousseau was a receiver in high school, and you can tell watching his highlights.   His full season at Miami, it was all about his athleticism and his hands.   He gets his hands on the QB, on the ball, on the ball carrier.   He has hands like a basketball rebounder.  But his lack of technique, absence of power moves, etc. also is apparent.  

The guy's upside is almost unimaginable.   He looks like he could play at 280 - put 20 pounds of muscle on him over the next two years.   He is high motor.   He's athletic.  Teach him some technique.  He's already shown that he can play inside a bit, and when he's bigger he actually might be able to hold his own in there.  McDermott loves that flexibility.  Who knows what Rousseau could become?   Don't get all bent out of shape here, because I'm not saying it will happen, but he has the ingredients to be a disruptor like JJ Watt.   And, of course, if Rousseau is already better than we think, if he can be an impact player by November of 2021, then the pick is a homerun - a special edge rusher added to the defense this season is probably the single biggest improvement the Bills could make.  

But it's an extraordinary gamble to take with your first-round pick.   Safer gamble than a pick like Maybin, because the Bills are a good team and can afford to miss on a player more than the Bills could a decade ago.  On the other hand, the Bills are close to the top, and getting a guy who could contribute as a rookie, especially getting a rookie with high probability of being able to replace one of the safeties over the next couple of seasons, would add to the Bills' competitiveness.  

I default to the faith I have in McDermott and Beane.  I think the pick doesn't look like as big a gamble to them as it looks to the fans.  I would guess the McBeane have gotten to know Rousseau well enough to know that he was the work ethic and intensity that they want in every player.  I would guess that they are quite sure he won't be a bust - that is, he isn't a guy they will look at three years from now and say, "well, that was a mistake."   I think they decided, they know, that Rousseau will be at least a solid contributor and at best the steal of the first round of the 2021 draft.  

I like it.  However, gambling like this puts the pressure on the second day picks.   Beane needs to find a couple of solid contributors.  

Having NFL nutritionists available, world class gym after a year off working out... wherever.  I'm not worried about the testing tbh, more of my concern would be about his development of moves and counters.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Bado -

This is a really good description of what I see on the highlights of his play.   I just commented on his hands, but you captured it better.  His athleticism helps him find his way to the quarterback, somehow.   Half the time he looks like he's completely out of control when he gets there, but then his hands find the ball, or find an ankle, or find a handful of jersey.   He does look like the opposite of Shaq.   Shaq is solid, but not a closer.  This guy looks like a closer - when he gets there, he's going to make a play. 

I know he's put on weight since 2019, and it's clear from the video that he could carry more weight.   It's also clear from the video that he has very little technique.  He played offense in high school, I guess until his senior year, and it's easy to imagine that they just put him on the field as a defender and said "go get the ball carrier."   He didn't need technique to beat high schoolers, and he didn't have time to learn any.   Then he missed most of his true freshman season.  I think his 2019 film shows a guy who is far from reaching his potential.  

Just seeing him in a suit he looked like he could easily gain some weight.

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'm just going to paste a bunch of Tweets I'm liking today, because I know a lot of people here aren't on the Twitters. Here goes:

Chris Collinsworth give a decent evaluation of Rousseau. It's his length that could make him an elite edge player. He doesn't win a lot but those long arms allows him to still affect the QB. If he learns some rush moves he'll be more than a handful. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice detailed take overall! Only thing though.... "Skinny"??? Where in the world are you deriving skinny from. This guy has an ideal size. Is it just that he's tall that makes you think he's skinny? Cuz he's not.

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Yes, look at the game logs........he was a backup player until game 7 on the schedule.   It wasn't like he got shut down by the UNC's and VT's early in the season,  these were just the first games of his college career.   

2) We have a DE on the team in Jerry Hughes who gets TONS of pressure with an impressive pass rushing skillset........but doesn't make plays.   Rousseau was surrounded by college versions of Hughes at Miami in his great year 19 age season.   Bees buzzing around the QB but Rousseau was the only one who could play with his head up and then reach out and make the plays.    

3) I don't see the Shaq comp at all.   That was a "meh" pick.......as I said here at the time..........low ceiling.    A more conventional, smaller guy like that needs a lot more juice to impact the QB and he simply didn't have the burst.   His get off was abysmal.   While Rousseau isn't twitchy he impacts OL quickly with the long arms and strides and powerful hands and doesn't allow them to execute their technique. 

I like Jerry Hughes..........it's great having the top pass rush win rate guy in the entire NFL.........but I'd prefer he got less pressures and more tackles behind the LOS.     Not saying Oweh can't be more productive than that.....but this is the kind of stuff we are talking about.   

I was not comparing him to Shaq as a player.  I was comparing the fan reactions to the two picks. 

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I wanted JOK, Barmore, or Tryon...at least those guys were elite at certain things...unfortunately, Rousseau has “bust” written all over him...I hope I’m wrong...

Don’t worry you are..., 😁

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I just watched this, and didn't listen to the commentary.   They show the same plays over and over again.   Watch his legs - he stays low and wide with his feet - he gets his hands on the blocker but keeps his body free, and when he reads the play, he's athletic enough to step away from the block and pursue the play.   In the NFL, the linemen are stronger and that won't work so well for Rousseau unless he gets stronger, too.   But just watch how athletic he is.  He's always ready to make the next athletic move, to change direction, to make contact with the ball carrier.  He does it on the edge, and he does it in the middle, too.  Every play he's a threat to run away from the blocker and get to the ball.  

14 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Nice detailed take overall! Only thing though.... "Skinny"??? Where in the world are you deriving skinny from. This guy has an ideal size. Is it just that he's tall that makes you think he's skinny? Cuz he's not.

I think he looks skinny on the video.   I think he was playing at 6'6", 240.   He's bigger now, but on the video he looks like all arms and legs.  

• Like (+1) 1

This was a lousy year for DE's. Rousseau , if considered a "sure thing," would have been gone 20 picks earlier. Struggled at his Pro Day and opted out last year. I've heard several of his sacks in '19 were "coverage sacks" and that he lacks any great pass rushing moves. Needs to improve there, add strength.

He is a project with high bust potential, which is why some have conjured images of Maybin.

• Eyeroll 1

One thing that really stands out to me is how he uses every inch of his length to make tackles.  In a game of inches, 11 inch hands can make a difference.  If he is within range, he goes all out to make the tackle.  It may not be a crushing, highlight reel hit, but he gets it done effectively.  He seems to know exactly how close he needs to get before selling out to make the tackle.  Granted these are just highlights, but I really like what I see.  Especially since none of the AFC East QBs are big, tackle breaking guys that can't be taken down with a hand tackle.  (I don't include Newton because he is not a long term QB in NE)