RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

Kind of impressive to rack up almost 16 sacks only playing football at that position for 1 year...

Yeah he is raw, but you got to look at that production as raw potential.

You always take a risk when you draft ANYBODY. I think Beane calculated the risk well on this one.

you have to think there’s some instinct and not just luck on 16 sacks vs 0 sacks too, as unrefined pass rushers available go.

It’ll definitely include plenty of luck on whether either guy develops, and each have their pros and cons. He was a reasonable choice at the place he was chosen though.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

Physical specimen? The dude was a pro day nightmare. Vert was 30 inches. That’s in the red it’s so bad. 3 cone was terrible, has no push for how big he is. He has no strength. Positives are that he has a great side step lol. I don’t see any physicality in his game. Takes him 7 seconds to get to the qb. The only trait he has that is elite is that he is tall and big.

Luckily, that's how long Mahomes takes to throw the ball...  Championship!

11 hours ago, klos63 said:

Except that every sack ESPN just showed of him were not coverage sacks at all. 

Did you research that yourself or just taking Mel Kiper's word for it?

That dude is a troll who shows up in game day threads to pee in everyone's cheerios.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Not sure if it was posted in here already, but this is generally considered his best film and it's thrown together into a quick 5 minute video to make it an easy watch. I think they have one play in here where he isn't actually on the field, but aside from that, quick, easy, thorough film of him here.

Spent a lot of time watching other clips and this last night and today.  I really knew little to nothing about him going in.  And because it's the internet and I know everything to:

He makes plays.  Is smart.  Very disciplined a lot of people talking about get off but thats often a bit of gap control by design to set the edge with his responsibilities vs the RPOs - and you can see how quick he processes everything.

If he gets a bit bigger, a bit quicker and refines his pass rush techniques, he could be a legit monster.  Because he's doing things in games (in just 1 season still very raw) with pure natural ability - so yea you can see why they think he's going to be a Chandler Jones or to me he looks a lot like Danielle Hunter - who if I'm not mistaken was taken largely due to the physical traits and upside.  

Edited by Big Blitz

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I hear you.  Track speed aside, though, Kearse was probably the most violent player of his era.  The offense would throw a bubble screen to a WR and the WR would gain 15 yards and then, unexpectedly (to me), he would be obliterated from behind by a heat-seeking missile that was Jevon Kearse.  Kearse had DK Metcalf's body and he'd throw himself violently all over the field.  I'd never seen something like that and haven't seen it since.  He fizzled out early, probably because of how violently he played.  

I don't see that same suddenness when I watch Rousseau - he seems to be more of a Gumby-armed octopus, which is fine with me - he'll probably play a lot longer than Kearse did as a result.

Outstanding metaphor

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Spent a lot of time watching other clips and this last night and today.  I really knew little to nothing about him going in.  And because it's the internet and I know everything to:

He makes plays.  Is smart.  Very disciplined a lot of people talking about get off but thats often a bit of gap control by design to set the edge with his responsibilities vs the RPOs - and you can see how quick he processes everything.

If he gets a bit bigger, a bit quicker and refines his pass rush techniques, he could be a legit monster.  Because he's doing things in games (in just 1 season still very raw) with pure natural ability - so yea you can see why they think he's going to be a Chandler Jones or to me he looks a lot like Danielle Hunter - who if I'm not mistaken was taken largely due to the physical traits and upside.  

That's not asking much at all.

Minus getting bigger and quicker usually don't go hand in hand. 

I don't know much about this dude, but from watching that FSU game video posted above, I'm reminded of Aaron Maybin.  This fellow looks too skinny to play Dline.  I don't know anything though, so I hope McBean are right on this pick.

• Vomit 1

41 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

There were a lot better guys on the board. Ojulari and Jason Oweh just to name two guys that I would rather have. 

It's fair that you think this, but can you explain why?

Jayson Oweh may be the classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" guy.  There are numbers that get your attention, and Zero is one of them.

Zero sacks.  Doesn't that concern you, even a bit?

The Ravens seem to be DL university, in the same way the Steelers were once "LB U" noted for developing LB, so maybe he will be the "Steal of the draft" as some are saying.  Or maybe not.

Azeez Ojulari was flagged as having a "degenerative lower leg condition"

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/04/28/2021-nfl-draft-could-azeez-ojulari-fall-kc-chiefs/

He's also smaller, and profiled as a better fit at OLB.

So you may rather have them, but at best, you need to 'splain why

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

That's not asking much at all.

Minus getting bigger and quicker usually don't go hand in hand. 

Oh they absolutely can get both he can definitely add 15 to 20 lbs and get QUICKER - remember DEs we don't care about 40 times.  It's speed off the ball.  

In watching him my guess is they're going to want him to play all around the line and just get to the QB.  Put him on the right side and AJ on the left.  I see AJ as better vs the run and setting the edge.  

25 minutes ago, Peter said:

I am a Canes' season ticket holder.

The kid had a great year a couple years ago. Picking him at 30 is very good value for the Bills.

I get that he has a limited number of starts at the position, but he has tremendous upside.

I have no idea where people are getting this "work ethic" issue.  I never heard anything like that when he was playing. My guess is that some are projecting because he opted out (exercised his option not to play during the pandemic).  I am not sure why we would hold that against him. His Mom is a front line nurse as well.

I love his reaction to being picked by the Bills and his interviews show that he is genuinely excited about the Bills and Buffalo.  I also thought it was cool that his parents lived in Buffalo for a few years and that he has relatives in Buffalo.

Very good value pick with tremendous upside.

I think ever since Gilmore people have been scarred on draft pick reactions. He looked genuinely excited to be a Bill and I love it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Jayson Oweh may be the classic "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" guy.  There are numbers that get your attention, and Zero is one of them.

The Ravens seem to be DL university, in the same way the Steelers were once "LB U" noted for developing LB, so maybe he will be the "Steal of the draft" as some are saying.  Or maybe not.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/04/28/2021-nfl-draft-could-azeez-ojulari-fall-kc-chiefs/

It is kinda funny that two of the main options for us was a guy that generated a lot of pressure but literally had 0 sacks and a guy that didn't generate a lot of pressure but nearly led the country in sacks. Drastically different production there though some will definitely argue that Oweh projects as the better pass rusher.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This ^

Got to trust McBeane on this. I have to believe our Dline coach, Jerry and Mario are going to have this kid producing by the time the playoffs come around - exactly when we'll need him.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Not a huge fan of the pick, but his length is really impressive.  If he is successful in the NFL that’s going to be a huge factor.  Not only is it useful keeping blockers off of him, it makes his tackle radius huge.  I can see a role for him here if his head is on right.  I was just hoping for better at 30.  I’m really trying to warm up to it.  Wait and see I guess. 

Like what exactly.

On most boards he was expected right in this area.

He is at a position of need for depth.

He was one of the DEs with good scheme for what Buffalo wants.

He was also at a position with a huge drop off in talent - so good scheme and body fit, at a premium position, at the right time, and the pick created a run of the lesser guys right after - meaning we most likely lose out with a trade down.

All told I am happy with getting the pick - so much better than what was being mocked our way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m not too excited about the 15.5 sack number.  It wasn’t like he got many against quality opponents.  Or that the U played many quality opponents.  Here is his game log: Schedule

I wonder if he will be able to be effective against pro OGs and OTs doing the same things he did in college.  I’d think so, but not to the same degree of success.  He’s so raw that it’s a big projection and I don’t see much that gives me hope that he is the kind of guy that will put in the work.  His lack of prep for his pro day is part of that.  Ditto his opt out.

I don’t buy the “if he had played in 2020 he’d have been a top 10 pick” line either.  Not at all.  He just doesn’t have all of the tools for that.  His COD is awful (14th percentile) so he won’t ever be able to bend the edge.  He also has a pretty pedestrian get off.  Players like that aren’t getting into the top 10 very often.

He’s a guy that is going to have to win with his length.  He’s going to play the edge on run downs and to contain running QBs and he will drop inside to rush the passer.  Actually I think he can be a big help anywhere on the DL vs QBs like Lamar.  I think that he can have success in the NFL in those roles if he can develop.

Honestly, it’s the fawning over the pick and unrealistic expectations by a lot of fans that I am arguing against here more than anything.  I get being a fan, but it feels like Shaq Lawson all over again.  So many thought he was Mario’s direct replacement and said the same kinds of things about him.  I hope Rousseau kills it here and makes me eat my words.  

1) Yes, look at the game logs........he was a backup player until game 7 on the schedule.   It wasn't like he got shut down by the UNC's and VT's early in the season,  these were just the first games of his college career.   

2) We have a DE on the team in Jerry Hughes who gets TONS of pressure with an impressive pass rushing skillset........but doesn't make plays.   Rousseau was surrounded by college versions of Hughes at Miami in his great year 19 age season.   Bees buzzing around the QB but Rousseau was the only one who could play with his head up and then reach out and make the plays.    

3) I don't see the Shaq comp at all.   That was a "meh" pick.......as I said here at the time..........low ceiling.    A more conventional, smaller guy like that needs a lot more juice to impact the QB and he simply didn't have the burst.   His get off was abysmal.   While Rousseau isn't twitchy he impacts OL quickly with the long arms and strides and powerful hands and doesn't allow them to execute their technique. 

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It is kinda funny that two of the main options for us was a guy that generated a lot of pressure but literally had 0 sacks and a guy that didn't generate a lot of pressure but nearly led the country in sacks. Drastically different production there though some will definitely argue that Oweh projects as the better pass rusher.

I like Jerry Hughes..........it's great having the top pass rush win rate guy in the entire NFL.........but I'd prefer he got less pressures and more tackles behind the LOS.     Not saying Oweh can't be more productive than that.....but this is the kind of stuff we are talking about.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) Yes, look at the game logs........he was a backup player until game 7 on the schedule.   It wasn't like he got shut down by the UNC's and VT's early in the season,  these were just the first games of his college career.   

2) We have a DE on the team in Jerry Hughes who gets TONS of pressure with an impressive pass rushing skillset........but doesn't make plays.   Rousseau was surrounded by college versions of Hughes at Miami in his great year 19 age season.   Bees buzzing around the QB but Rousseau was the only one who could play with his head up and then reach out and make the plays.    

3) I don't see the Shaq comp at all.   That was a "meh" pick.......as I said here at the time..........low ceiling.    A more conventional, smaller guy like that needs a lot more juice to impact the QB and he simply didn't have the burst.   His get off was abysmal.   While Rousseau isn't twitchy he impacts OL quickly with the long arms and strides and powerful hands and doesn't allow them to execute their technique. 

Was wondering about your view given that he's a Cane. Looking at the stats, the Canes' defense was good that year (23rd in points per game given up) but the offense was pretty bad (90th in points per game). He was the top dog on that defense, it appears.

Edited by dave mcbride

22 minutes ago, Demongyz said:

I don't know much about this dude, but from watching that FSU game video posted above, I'm reminded of Aaron Maybin.  This fellow looks too skinny to play Dline.  I don't know anything though, so I hope McBean are right on this pick.

He couldn't be more different from Aaron Maybin.

• Like (+1) 2