RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

My thoughts 10 hours after the fact:

At pick 30 you're not going to find a player that has elite traits without red flags, question marks or concerns.  The last player like that, or at least close, at a position of need for the Bills was Greg Newsome II, and he was gone several picks earlier. 

Looking at some of the players Buffalo might have considered, Jayson Oweh has elite traits but a worrying lack of production.  Joe Tryon is as raw as Rousseau.  Assante Samuel is short to play outside corner and lacks elite athleticism.  Christian Barmore was mocked to the Bills, but he plays more 3 tech than 1 tech where Buffalo's thinness lies, and there are rumors about his coachability (he may not be a process guy).  There are others, but there was no "perfect" pick. 

I assume with others that Buffalo was in conversation to trade out of that spot, but didn't find the dance partner who would give back what they wanted.

Greg Rousseau is raw, needs to learn a lot of technique and get stronger.  As has been pointed out, he hasn't gotten a ton of sacks rushing from outside.  On the other hand, he just turned 21.  He, reportedly is a great kid and a process guy (you didn't expect anything else from Beane and McDermott, did you?) and has elite length and athleticism for his size.  His 4.66 40 is unusual for a guy that tall.  He has things that he does naturally and well as a pass rusher.

I don't expect a huge contribution from him as a rookie.  He'll be in on some obvious pass plays.  I don't expect his rookie year to be a whole lot different from AJ Epenesa's rookie year.  That's why Jerry Hughes and Mario Addison are still here.  Meanwhile, Rousseau is going to get a crash course on getting stronger and learning the techniques he still lacks.  As for his upside, think a more athletic Calais Campbell.  Yeah, I'm an optimist, but why not.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

I really don't like this selection.  It's probably my least liked selection of the Brandon Beane era.  

Rousseau is a one hit wonder who got the majority of his sacks lined up over center, not the edge.  Didn't play last year, came back heavier in 2021.  

I prefer a track record of consistent production or consistent improvement in production.  He's a great athlete but so is every other player in the NFL.     

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm surprised by the pick, I thought Rousseau had work ethic and motivation questions. He is a physical specimen though. I trust the Bills did their work on his character.

Physical specimen? The dude was a pro day nightmare. Vert was 30 inches. That’s in the red it’s so bad. 3 cone was terrible, has no push for how big he is. He has no strength. Positives are that he has a great side step lol. I don’t see any physicality in his game. Takes him 7 seconds to get to the qb. The only trait he has that is elite is that he is tall and big.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I really don't like this selection.  It's probably my least liked selection of the Brandon Beane era.  

Rousseau is a one hit wonder who got the majority of his sacks lined up over center, not the edge.  Didn't play last year, came back heavier in 2021.  

I prefer a track record of consistent production or consistent improvement in production.  He's a great athlete but so is every other player in the NFL.     

He was all over the line

10 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

First off ,  i was right that we blew it drafting FORD over super WR Metcalf,  i was right when i said Murphy was a bum signing and should habe been cut,  i was right when i said Beanne spent too much money on average players in free agency last season.  What did they give us for all that money?

NOW on this 1st round pick tonight.......... HE WAS A GREAT PICK and a steal at 30th overall,  watch for him to turn into a DE force.  Maybe take a season or two but he has the gifts that no coach can teach. 

Congrats Beane & staff..... well done!

This is not where I thought this post would end given its beginning.

Glad you approve

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I don't think he is, but this sounds an awful lot like Maybin. It just wasn't all that strong of a class for defensive line, so it is what it is. Hopefully he develops fast to help now instead of years down the line. 

Maybin to Rousseau is not a good comparison. Maybin struggled to keep weight on and was at the combine between 220-230lbs. Maybin had no ability to play on the inside and he was a straight line speed guy. Rousseau is taller, more arm length, heavier 260-270, and can play inside and out. He is much more like Buckner from the Colts than Maybin but time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Codycolo12 said:

There were a lot better guys on the board. Ojulari and Jason Oweh just to name two guys that I would rather have. 

I wanted JOK, Barmore, or Tryon...at least those guys were elite at certain things...unfortunately, Rousseau has “bust” written all over him...I hope I’m wrong...

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He's not really a great athlete. He's long, decent athlete. He's raw. He played 1 year, had production as a 19 year old. Doesn't have refined pass rush skills. No counter moves but still was only 19. We'll see how he develops.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's not really a great athlete. He's long, decent athlete. He's raw. He played 1 year, had production as a 19 year old. Doesn't have refined pass rush skills. No counter moves but still was only 19. We'll see how he develops.

Kind of impressive to rack up almost 16 sacks only playing football at that position for 1 year...

Yeah he is raw, but you got to look at that production as raw potential.

You always take a risk when you draft ANYBODY. I think Beane calculated the risk well on this one.

• Like (+1) 1

I am a Canes' season ticket holder.

The kid had a great year a couple years ago. Picking him at 30 is very good value for the Bills.

I get that he has a limited number of starts at the position, but he has tremendous upside.

I have no idea where people are getting this "work ethic" issue.  I never heard anything like that when he was playing. My guess is that some are projecting because he opted out (exercised his option not to play during the pandemic).  I am not sure why we would hold that against him. His Mom is a front line nurse as well.

I love his reaction to being picked by the Bills and his interviews show that he is genuinely excited about the Bills and Buffalo.  I also thought it was cool that his parents lived in Buffalo for a few years and that he has relatives in Buffalo.

Very good value pick with tremendous upside.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did he really need a counter move with 19.5 sacks? Had he come out the year with Chase Young, he would’ve been a top 10 pick