RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

I hope Eric Washington, is a good D-Line coach.  Beane and Management seem to look how athletic the player is when they are drafting.  In the old days the would look at production in college before drafting now it seems the Bills look at the athletic side of the player.  So when pundits look at who the Bills are going to  draft look at the player who is the crazy athlete.  Allen, Edmunds, etc. 

Pass Rusher is really interesting...

When you evaluate 3-4 outside linebackers/speed rushers, explosion and/or lateral agility REALLY matter. So much so that if a guy doesn’t have it, you might as well not even bother.

On the other hand, 4-3 defensive ends, especially guys that play LDE, are different. Their job is different. Pass rush is important, obviously, but they also need to set the edge, disengage from blockers and rarely get a free release/direct route at the backfield. Explosion is useful, but not a primary skill because it often leaves them out of position for anything but a 7 step drop...it’s guys like Hughes that get lots of pressure and not many sacks in today’s NFL. 

GR is exactly what you want at LDE. He’s long, smart and athletic enough to close and finish when he gets the chance. I only saw him in one game (vs Pitt), but he killed us. He’s never really blocked...it seems like he can shed the tackle/guard whenever he wants. When I watch him, what I see is a disciplined pass rusher that is excellent at contain and finishes with a quick close and long ass arms (not to mention some of the biggest/strongest hands I have ever seen).

I loved Calais Campbell coming out, and I love this kid, too.  A+

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

He definitely fell after landing on his vertical jump... It's not unusually for guys to land akwardley. 

I read someone say he slipped on the 3 cone. I can't verify if that was metaphorical or literal.

As for his 40, 4.68 and the best 10 second split is still elite. Even if Phillips beat his time. He ran faster than JPP and Bruce Smith for Christ sakes. 

Pretty solid RAS score which we know the Bills love. So the idea he is a low ceiling athlete is flat out wrong. He isn't Edmunds, Oliver and Allen.... but those guys don't get to #30. He definitely has uncoachable traits. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

NFL Network guys loved it, and I'd trust them over the clowns at ESPN.

My friend and I quickly switched coverage over to NFL Network even before Jax made their first pick. Good lord ESPN, you have fallen from grace.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, TheJauronClap said:

This guys plays so much better inside and I think that’s why the bills ultimately took him they see it. Edge is tough he needs a lot of work technically

We're seeing a trend. Obada is long and best rushing from the inside. I think there is a clear plan here. We're going to see players lined up everywhere. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yep.  An under-rated skill for a pass rusher. Mobile QB’s will not move around the pocket all day against this guy.  His inspector gadget arms and ability to close are what stand out.  If he was playing Addison’s role against Arizona, there no way Murray even gets off the Hail Mary.  

LDD's and your observation are what struck me about the highlights.  This was a Mahomes stopping pick, as Patrick can usually make the first wave attacker, i.e., edge rusher miss, but the subsequent misses are more a combination of Mahomes and the inability of the attacker to latch on to him.  I see GR almost built for the clean up role.  Beane is canny.

Edited by Enemarty
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Enemarty said:

LDD's and your observation are what struck me about the highlights.  This was a Mahomes stopping pick, as Patrick can usually make the first wave attacker, i.e., edge rusher miss, but the subsequent misses are more a combination of Mahomes and the inability of the attacker to latch on to him.  I see GR almost built for the clean up role.  And in the time it took to type this, I see BuffaloRebound making the same point.  Beane is canny.

There was a play in the AFCCG - I almost referenced it in my debrief - where Addison bullrushed Fisher and beat him and was moving towards Mahomes with a free shot and Mahomes just shuffled up in the pocket as Addison went past on the outside and it was down over. That is exactly the type of play where Rousseau's athleticism and length can keep him in the down and still affect the passer. It is exactly that sort of play one imagines the Bills are envisaging. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yep.  An under-rated skill for a pass rusher. Mobile QB’s will not move around the pocket all day against this guy.  His inspector gadget arms and ability to close are what stand out.  If he was playing Addison’s role against Arizona, there no way Murray even gets off the Hail Mary.  

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Channeling @BADOLBILZ ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_vulture_crisis#/media/File:White-rumped_vulture_(Gyps_bengalensis)_Photograph_by_Shantanu_Kuveskar.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes they certainly have a “type”. I feel like a lot of what I read about Rousseau pre-draft is that he’s really a DT/Edge. I expect they want to use him rushing inside as well 

He showed capable of getting pressure inside and I suspect they like the idea of 6’6+ with very long arms disrupting the passing lanes from inside on 3rd downs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Enemarty said:

LDD's and your observation are what struck me about the highlights.  This was a Mahomes stopping pick, as Patrick can usually make the first wave attacker, i.e., edge rusher miss, but the subsequent misses are more a combination of Mahomes and the inability of the attacker to latch on to him.  I see GR almost built for the clean up role.  And in the time it took to type this, I see BuffaloRebound making the same point.  Beane is canny.

Again: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_vulture_crisis#/media/File:White-rumped_vulture_(Gyps_bengalensis)_Photograph_by_Shantanu_Kuveskar.jpg

23 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Agreed with what you said about Bonham's feel and power. Neil also had power for sure, but his all around drumming (jazz for instance) gives him the top spot for me. 

Jack DeJohnette says "yaawwwn"  :)

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Ill trust beane and mcdermott especially with this but when you watch him he was more effective rushing inside on 3rd downs than he was outside

He only played one year in College, so certainly might need some time to work on his outside moves.  Still, if a guy's getting the the QB, I don't really care if he's doing it inside or outside.

• Like (+1) 1

This guy reminds me EXACTLY of Chandler Jones (6'5 265).

When the Pats drafted Chandler Jones 21st out of Syracuse I laughed because I thought he would be an immediate bust. He looked slow as molasses on film and had a bad pro day. The tape just looked BAD. However, he has the same "long strider" build and technique as Rousseau. It doesn't look twitchy or high-punch, but every long step gets him closer to the QB faster.

As we all know, Chandler went on to be a 3x pro-bowler and league sack leader, garnering 10+ sacks the last 5 years in a row.

Maybe I'm drinking the cool-aid, but they look really, really similar.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

My friend and I quickly switched coverage over to NFL Network even before Jax made their first pick. Good lord ESPN, you have fallen from grace.

I like the music on ESPN though.  It brings me back to those weekend drafts (that were far superior), where you'd sit on the couch for 16 hours and watch the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

He looks like an average starting DE to me. 

They said the same thing about Lawson, same thing about Epenesa, and now Rousseau.

He looks like a 3-5 sack guy in the NFL. 

It's clear the Bills like prototypical size at DE, and a balanced player that can play run and pass.

Just like Epenesa, he showed huge college production, but isn't an incredible athlete. If he was, the Bills wouldn't have got him at 30 anyways. 

The way the board fell, top corners gone, top RBs gone, it came down to three picks to me - Moore, Barmore and Samuel Jr. All guys graded in that 88-90 range. Bills picked another DE, and now it's clear that they need speed offensive player and cornerback. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 2