RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Pretty average in that regard. We do have a clear sense of what they like at edge by now though. They love length and they value that more than that explosive first step, although as Brandon referenced Rousseau's first 10 split in the 40 was pretty good. I don't think Rousseau has a bad get off, just that it isn't the thing that stands out to you on his tape. It is length, understanding of leverage and his hands. 

Yeah pretty average in speed. Has a better 10 yd split than Donald, Oliver, Watt, The Bosa's, Hughes(most overrated Bill ever), JPP, Jared Allen, Clowney. Tied Hunter

Had a better 40 than Watt, the Bosa's, JPP, Allen. Tied Peppers.

Does he need to improve flexibility and bend, yes. Does change of direction need work, yes. But to say he has average speed is flat out wrong. 

Edited by noacls

Rousseau wouldn't have been my pick personally, but I get the allure. If he develops the right way, he's a guy that can set the edge on first and second down and rush inside on 3rd down.

I think the relatively disappointing things are:

1. There were so many edge and corner guys available that we could have taken someone else and played the board a bit (but having said that, the other edge guys don't really have the versatility to kick inside that Rousseau has)
  2. Ordinarily if you're going to take a raw prospect like him, you'd like to see him be an explosive athlete and he just isn't. He's a solid athlete for sure, but you'll probably never be blown away by his burst off the edge like you might with a guy like Oweh for example. The standout parts of him athletically are his long arms and huge hands; they increase his tackle radius in a way that a lot of other guys don't have.

Still a solid prospect though, and with our connections to Miami's defensive staff, I'm sure we've vetted him well and feel like he'll make the most out of what he has.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Draconator said:

Agreed with what you said about Bonham's feel and power. Neil also had power for sure, but his all around drumming (jazz for instance) gives him the top spot for me. 

See I feel Bonham could also play anything (Fool in the Rain as an example), but we're splitting hairs regardless haha cheers!

• Like (+1) 1

His highlight reels seem to show a really good ability to pursue the QB after he steps up in the pocket.  Lots of guys seem to be able to create the edge then can't get back to make the play on the QB.  Looks like this kid can.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, noacls said:

Yeah pretty average in speed. Has a better 10 yd split than Donald, Oliver, Watt, The Bosa's, Hughes(most overrated Bill ever), JPP, Jared Allen, Clowney. Tied Hunter

Had a better 40 than Watt, the Bosa's, JPP, Allen. Tied Peppers.

Dies he need to improve flexibility and bend, yes. Does change of direction need work, yes. But to say he has average speed is flat out wrong. 

The pretty average comment was about Obada. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LDD said:

His highlight reels seem to show a really good ability to pursue the QB after he steps up in the pocket.  Lots of guys seem to be able to create the edge then can't get back to make the play on the QB.  Looks like this kid can.  

Yep. That stands out on his film. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Don’t have time to wade through the thread. Is there anywhere that McBeane talk about the pick?

Beane did a presser last night. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

His highlight reel shows him keeping lineman at bay and leaving them to tackle RBs. This is something we desperately need. The QB pressures are a bonus. 

15.5 sacks at The U...if he had that last year, he's gone before pick 10. Only thing that got him to 30 was taking a year off to skip Covid play. 

I’m not too excited about the 15.5 sack number.  It wasn’t like he got many against quality opponents.  Or that the U played many quality opponents.  Here is his game log: Schedule

I wonder if he will be able to be effective against pro OGs and OTs doing the same things he did in college.  I’d think so, but not to the same degree of success.  He’s so raw that it’s a big projection and I don’t see much that gives me hope that he is the kind of guy that will put in the work.  His lack of prep for his pro day is part of that.  Ditto his opt out.

I don’t buy the “if he had played in 2020 he’d have been a top 10 pick” line either.  Not at all.  He just doesn’t have all of the tools for that.  His COD is awful (14th percentile) so he won’t ever be able to bend the edge.  He also has a pretty pedestrian get off.  Players like that aren’t getting into the top 10 very often.

He’s a guy that is going to have to win with his length.  He’s going to play the edge on run downs and to contain running QBs and he will drop inside to rush the passer.  Actually I think he can be a big help anywhere on the DL vs QBs like Lamar.  I think that he can have success in the NFL in those roles if he can develop.

Honestly, it’s the fawning over the pick and unrealistic expectations by a lot of fans that I am arguing against here more than anything.  I get being a fan, but it feels like Shaq Lawson all over again.  So many thought he was Mario’s direct replacement and said the same kinds of things about him.  I hope Rousseau kills it here and makes me eat my words.  

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Apologies if a repost.

Edit: Doesn't break down a lot of games, but pretty accurate projection from the Fall - says he is a project who could go around 30. Somewhat down on him just from this film and opinion that he went up against subpar offensive line talent.

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

3 minutes ago, LDD said:

Yep.  An under-rated skill for a pass rusher. Mobile QB’s will not move around the pocket all day against this guy.  His inspector gadget arms and ability to close are what stand out.  If he was playing Addison’s role against Arizona, there no way Murray even gets off the Hail Mary.  

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

wait seriously did that happen?

He definitely fell after landing on his vertical jump... It's not unusually for guys to land akwardley. 

I read someone say he slipped on the 3 cone. I can't verify if that was metaphorical or literal.

As for his 40, 4.68 and the best 10 second split is still elite. Even if Phillips beat his time. He ran faster than JPP and Bruce Smith for Christ sakes.