RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

Just now, HappyDays said:

I don't think Edmunds is the right comparison. Edmunds was a pure athletic freak with no instincts. That lack of instincts has held him back so far in his career. Rousseau is the opposite. He isn't the most athletic edge rusher but he has natural instincts and a nose for the ball. I think in his first season, at the very least he will be great at setting the edge for us and helping our run defense. By year 2 ideally he'll have developed some pass rush moves and he'll start to reach his ceiling. If he ever becomes consistent at getting into the back field, look out. Because once he's there he has a knack for finding the QB and taking him to the ground.

some sort of social science experiment.  Will ones athletic abilities wear off on the other, while the others awareness wears off on the former! 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think Edmunds is the right comparison. Edmunds was a pure athletic freak with no instincts. That lack of instincts has held him back so far in his career. Rousseau is the opposite. He isn't the most athletic edge rusher but he has natural instincts and a nose for the ball. I think in his first season, at the very least he will be great at setting the edge for us and helping our run defense. By year 2 ideally he'll have developed some pass rush moves and he'll start to reach his ceiling. If he ever becomes consistent at getting into the back field, look out. Because once he's there he has a knack for finding the QB and taking him to the ground.

Rousseau still scored pretty well on the RAS I believe, in the 7s. Not quite Allen, Edmunds or Oliver who were all above 9 I grant you.

1 minute ago, Sundancer said:

His highlight reel shows him keeping lineman at bay and leaving them to tackle RBs. This is something we desperately need. The QB pressures are a bonus. 

15.5 sacks at The U...if he had that last year, he's gone before pick 10. Only thing that got him to 30 was taking a year off to skip Covid play. 

He's not a Day One starter but I'd be coaching him up to be a big time year 2 contributor and a solid situational contributor in year 1. 

i think this is the issue.  we need a day 1 contributor.  Perhaps the Bills saw no one there at 30 and took a potential huge year 2 contributor.  

Just now, RyanC883 said:

i think this is the issue.  we need a day 1 contributor.  Perhaps the Bills saw no one there at 30 and took a potential huge year 2 contributor.  

Erm. At pick 30, you don't get Day One starters on the D-line. Kids that late are usually undersized and not ready to be on the field every play. 

23 minutes ago, Nester said:

Young kids who have not played in a year seem like a huge risk. 

If it was a year off to injury, yes. 

This kid's mother is a nurse who advised him to take off for Covid. He's not some lazy kid. 

The only way I won't like this pick is if in his 3rd year he can't produce. He sounds and looks like a raw athlete built with a solid frame and natural strength that can be built on. Time with Jerry and the coaching staff plus some processing with McBeane and we could have a solid guy. Or he could be Aaron Maybin

I'm good with it. He has some crazy length which he seems to use pretty well. He shows up on those highlights with a shoestring tackle a bunch of times, able to use that length to trip 'em up as they try to leave the pocket. Interesting that the lined him up over the center at times. That's another McBeane hallmark they look for in prospects: versatility. 

As a jersey number nerd, I wonder which number he'll take. 50-59 are taken, and then 95 and 96 are available in the 90s, although I don't know if they have #95 in rotation. 

• Agree 1

Obviously not grinding tape, just watching highlight videos, but a few things I like about GR:

(1) he seems to have good vision while rushing the passer, allowing him to track the QB as he climbs the pocket instead of rushing around and missing him (as we have seen Hughes do from time to time)

(2) this goes hand in hand with the above point, but he seems to stay with plays until the end

(3) he does a good job of staying low, which is impressive with such a large frame, but what is even more impressive is he seems to then be able to finish by further using his frame to reach out and strip/trip/arm tackle

(4) a few of the sacks in his highlights were in the 4th quarter in close games vs. programs like FSU and Pitt - i.e., they mattered

(5) the idea of him sacking Cam/Mac/Zach/Tua in Buffalo and the crowd going "ROUUUUUUUUUSS"

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

People wanted a home run hitter at 30. That typically doesn’t happen. Rousseau should be a solid contributor in the D line rotation at worst. Hopefully we only win 5 games next year so we can get a better draft pick

plus this is football...home run hitters play baseball😄

My Notes on him, should have posted right after the pick, but I was beat and it was a long day 

Explosive off the edge (can still improve), can move inside situationally and dominate OGs with athleticism, Bends well and plays with good pad level for being so long, Not a contact and stop player still moves, good change of direction.  effective Bull Rush.  Very raw, doest have a rush plan and no counter moves, relied on his length and athleticism.  Can get controlled easy specially getting into legs.  Relentless pursuit and plays in the backfield, was good in setting the edge against the run for the most part, needs to improve in the NFL.  Pure Natural Passrusher with high ceiling.  Needs to learn hand fighting skills, to often will not break OL hands and re-establish. 

Projects - Situational Pass Rusher initially full time EDGE with a 10-15 sack projection per year if he develops his counters and plans.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Obviously not grinding tape, just watching highlight videos, but a few things I like about GR:

(1) he seems to have good vision while rushing the passer, allowing him to track the QB as he climbs the pocket instead of rushing around and missing him (as we have seen Hughes do from time to time)

(2) this goes hand in hand with the above point, but he seems to stay with plays until the end

(3) he does a good job of staying low, which is impressive with such a large frame, but what is even more impressive is he seems to then be able to finish by further using his frame to reach out and strip/trip/arm tackle

(4) a few of the sacks in his highlights were in the 4th quarter in close games vs. programs like FSU and Pitt - i.e., they mattered

(5) the idea of him sacking Cam/Mac/Zach/Tua in Buffalo and the crowd going "ROUUUUUUUUUSS"

Neil Peart was a better drummer.

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

Not sure if it was posted in here already, but this is generally considered his best film and it's thrown together into a quick 5 minute video to make it an easy watch. I think they have one play in here where he isn't actually on the field, but aside from that, quick, easy, thorough film of him here.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I thought so when I originally saw those comps a few weeks ago..  But Kearse's track #'s wouldn't seem as freakish today.    He ran a 4.58.    Couple inches shorter than Rousseau.   The freaky thing about Kearse were the 11.5" hands.......which is, of course, the freakish thing about Rousseau as well.   

I hear you.  Track speed aside, though, Kearse was probably the most violent player of his era.  The offense would throw a bubble screen to a WR and the WR would gain 15 yards and then, unexpectedly (to me), he would be obliterated from behind by a heat-seeking missile that was Jevon Kearse.  Kearse had DK Metcalf's body and he'd throw himself violently all over the field.  I'd never seen something like that and haven't seen it since.  He fizzled out early, probably because of how violently he played.  

I don't see that same suddenness when I watch Rousseau - he seems to be more of a Gumby-armed octopus, which is fine with me - he'll probably play a lot longer than Kearse did as a result.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I saw that post and looked like the cat in your picture

Love Peart and think he's excellent technically, but Bonham just had that feel and power that may never be matched

Agreed with what you said about Bonham's feel and power. Neil also had power for sure, but his all around drumming (jazz for instance) gives him the top spot for me.