RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is not a fast twitch guy. But great length, good hands, wins with leverage and productive in college. 

I like the pick although I do have a couple if niggling doubts 1. Having sat out the year turning up at his pro day not in top shape was a bad look. 2. I just worry with he and Epenesa we have two guys who would look great opposite that quick twitch guy who can fly off the edge and that is after spending two premium picks at the spot.

He ran fast at his pro day, that is one good thing. Do you think Obada is quick twitch?

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He ran fast at his pro day, that is one good thing. Do you think Obada is quick twitch?

Pretty average in that regard. We do have a clear sense of what they like at edge by now though. They love length and they value that more than that explosive first step, although as Brandon referenced Rousseau's first 10 split in the 40 was pretty good. I don't think Rousseau has a bad get off, just that it isn't the thing that stands out to you on his tape. It is length, understanding of leverage and his hands. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Boxcar said:

I believe that Brandon Beane and the rest of the FO are better at football stuff than everyone who posts here combined

You don’t know anything ! 🤣

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why is that?

Because he’s an idiot?😳🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

Except that every sack ESPN just showed of him were not coverage sacks at all. 

Did you research that yourself or just taking Mel Kiper's word for it?

Took Kiper’s word, Duh.. Everyone knows @BillsMafi$ can’t read!

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Pretty average in that regard. We do have a clear sense of what they like at edge by now though. They love length and they value that more than that explosive first step, although as Brandon referenced Rousseau's first 10 split in the 40 was pretty good. I don't think Rousseau has a bad get off, just that it isn't the thing that stands out to you on his tape. It is length, understanding of leverage and his hands. 

Yes they certainly have a “type”. I feel like a lot of what I read about Rousseau pre-draft is that he’s really a DT/Edge. I expect they want to use him rushing inside as well 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

There's been a number of comments related to playing weight - in the PC Beane was asked that specifically and he said - with the caveat they obviously would have to get him in and do an actual detailed assessment to make the final determination - that he saw him playing "in the 60's", which is where he is at now.  Also some of that weight obviously may be re-distributed under NFL strength and conditioning

We didn’t give up anything to get him, and it’s not like anyone there at 30 is a sure thing. Low, calculated risk with great potential upside. Plus he seems like a great kid. 

Let’s Geau Buffaleau!

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Calais Campbell is a fan

"Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

Apr 20

#Miami DE Greg Rousseau is one of the Draft's most challenging evals. One scout called him a “skinny little guy” on tape, but he showed up at his Pro Day 25 pounds heavier. Some wondered about the athleticism, but he’s much bigger now. Plus, he was an opt-out. Lots of questions.

Calais Campbell

@CalaisCampbell

Replying to

@RapSheet

I wonder what the scouts were saying when I was coming out? Not athletic enough? Not strong enough? I am not a scout and I know they have a tough job. But I hope they don’t overthink this one.

@Greg_R5 can play football. He is a playmaker! Shows up in both the run and pass game"

https://caneswarning.com/2021/04/28/why-is-miami-hurricanes-de-greg-rousseau-plummeting-on-nfl-draft-big-boards/

Notably Calais Campbell also played for Da U.  He’s got the back of another U player.  Nothing wrong with it, but don’t read too much into it. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, stevewin said:

There's been a number of comments related to playing weight - in the PC Beane was asked that specifically and he said - with the caveat they obviously would have to get him in and do an actual detailed assessment to make the final determination - that he saw him playing "in the 60's", which is where he is at now.  Also some of that weight obviously may be re-distributed under NFL strength and conditioning

Exactly it is more than the pure number. It is making sure all that extra weight is functional. I don't think it is a hard thing to fix.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the poor pro day was mostly around the vertical and bench and 3 cone but someone said he slipped in the 3 cone and no way is he going to bench a lot with those crazy long arms. His speed was very impressive for his size.

He put up 22 reps on the benchHe put up 22 reps on the bench

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not a huge fan of the pick, but his length is really impressive.  If he is successful in the NFL that’s going to be a huge factor.  Not only is it useful keeping blockers off of him, it makes his tackle radius huge.  I can see a role for him here if his head is on right.  I was just hoping for better at 30.  I’m really trying to warm up to it.  Wait and see I guess. 

57 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In terms of Rousseau himself, he's very similar to Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds

I don't think Edmunds is the right comparison. Edmunds was a pure athletic freak with no instincts. That lack of instincts has held him back so far in his career. Rousseau is the opposite. He isn't the most athletic edge rusher but he has natural instincts and a nose for the ball. I think in his first season, at the very least he will be great at setting the edge for us and helping our run defense. By year 2 ideally he'll have developed some pass rush moves and he'll start to reach his ceiling. If he ever becomes consistent at getting into the back field, look out. Because once he's there he has a knack for finding the QB and taking him to the ground.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Not a huge fan of the pick, but his length is really impressive.  If he is successful in the NFL that’s going to be a huge factor.  Not only is it useful keeping blockers off of him, it makes his tackle radius huge.  I can see a role for him here if his head is on right.  I was just hoping for better at 30.  I’m really trying to warm up to it.  Wait and see I guess. 

His highlight reel shows him keeping lineman at bay and leaving them to tackle RBs. This is something we desperately need. The QB pressures are a bonus. 

15.5 sacks at The U...if he had that last year, he's gone before pick 10. Only thing that got him to 30 was taking a year off to skip Covid play. 

Someone said he's a "one year wonder." Sure, but that's a hell of a one year and at Miami no less. He's no Zach Wilson. 

He's not a Day One starter but I'd be coaching him up to be a big time year 2 contributor and a solid situational contributor in year 1. 

Edited by Sundancer