RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

57 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I mean montez sweat is 6'6 260 and ran a verified 440 at the combine 

And put up stats

In fairness, when Sweat was 19 he was a complete non-factor bench player at Michigan State.

He's a better athlete and by the time he was 21-22 he was putting up some numbers but his nose for the ball lagged behind that athleticism..........he left a lot on the table.

He's been pretty good as a pro but his size/speed screams NFL DPOY candidate but going into his year 25 season he's not really there yet.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ColeB said:

My thoughts exactly.  JOK was being mocked in late teens to early 20s and he drops in your lap at 30 and you don’t take him?!  He is the perfect athlete to add to deal with the Chiefs speed.  Kiper and the ESPN panel were critical that Roussea’s 15 sacks in 2019 mainly were coverage sacks and QBs running into him.  Most were from him playing the nose, not on the edge.  I liked Tryon better.  I would’ve also been happier with A. Samuel Jr.

My first reaction grade: C

according to beane’s post draft interview he knows how to get to the quarterback. Like a sixth sense and using his length to push the blocker and reach for the ball. Faster players can run fast but less results. 

it almost seemed like he was talking about Rousseau compared to Jason Oweh who went the pick after to the ravens. 4.36 40 and no sacks. Plenty of pressures but no sacks due to his eyes being on the blocker instead of the QB. 

I wanted Oweh recently but Rousseau was a pipe dream even three months ago 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He has the traits. This team believes in that approach. Draft traits over production and develop the player. Could be the steal of the draft.

He had production though.  If they simply wanted traits Oweh was there for the taking.

13 minutes ago, ColeB said:

My thoughts exactly.  JOK was being mocked in late teens to early 20s and he drops in your lap at 30 and you don’t take him?!  He is the perfect athlete to add to deal with the Chiefs speed.  Kiper and the ESPN panel were critical that Roussea’s 15 sacks in 2019 mainly were coverage sacks and QBs running into him.  Most were from him playing the nose, not on the edge.  I liked Tryon better.  I would’ve also been happier with A. Samuel Jr.

My first reaction grade: C

aaand another thing I like JOK a lot but Rousseau has a similar floor if you consider future snap count. This was a true BPA-long-term-selection. 

Just now, purple haze said:

I didn't hear.  What did he say?

Someone posted it on this board but he kept emphasizing instincts and length and the ability to push the o-line away and get to the QB. As opposed to straight line speed guys who get pressure and no results. Also mentioned strip sack ability 

4 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I didn't hear.  What did he say?

• Like (+1) 2

Here is what SI’s senior draft analyst said about him

Rousseau is an extremely long edge defender who wins through blockers at extension with his hands rather than with speed and bend. He is a solid run defender and a solid athlete. As a player that is young, new to the position and still filling out his frame, he is very raw and will need a multi-year development plan before he can reach his very high ceiling. Rousseau projects as a developmental pass rusher who could possibly be dominant by his second or third year in the league as he has unblockable written all over him due to his power and length if he can learn how to convert speed to power. He is a risky pick who will not be a contributor out of the gate, but could pay off massively for the team that drafts him down the line.

So based on our anemic pass rush I am OK with having a guy that can be lined up to rush from all over the defensive line that can cause some havoc and has a long reach and is athletic enough to chase QBs down... it’s a risky pick but certainly no worse than AJ was last year.
Now let’s get us a CB2 and a future Center/ Guard on day 2. 

• Like (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I've said it before.........name one running back that the Bills passed on that went in round 1 in the last 25 years that anyone regrets not getting.

It's doesn't happen.

Running backs used to be a dime a dozen.........now they are still a half dozen for a dime but their impact on the game has been greatly diminished.

First round picks are for players that you will have to pay upwards of $20M per year to on their second contract if they reach their ceilings.

Bills can win with what they have or find their version of James Robinson later.    RB's are still easy to find.

Rousseau is a gamble ill admit, but the pay off of a good edge rush on a rookie deal vs a good rb on a rookie deal is not even close. The steelers took Harris, he will start, will he be good? Probably. And everyone will say " see taking an rb isn't bad" but they don't realize the value of the pick and the 5th year option, and what they could have had with that pick. taking an rb in the first is becoming a thing of the past. And I'm glad the bills didn't take an rb.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like how Beane said, “you don’t luck your way to 15.5 sacks.”

I’ve read that his competition wasn’t great and that he had an unfortunate pro day, but it really seems like we went with someone who has great instincts.

Many of his sacks were trips and underrated moves, and lord knows we really could have used some of that at times last year.

My bold prediction is that even though he seems more raw than AJ who we really eased in, we’ll see more of Greg and we’ll rush him inside on obvious pass plays to create mismatches with guards.

He might have a lot to work on technically to become a starter and every down guy — but we run a rotational unit and he’ll fit right in.

• Like (+1) 3

https://caneswarning.com/2021/04/28/why-is-miami-hurricanes-de-greg-rousseau-plummeting-on-nfl-draft-big-boards/

So basically scouts grew worried after he opted out a year, then showed up to his pro day heavier, not as explosive as he used to be, and wasn't looking like he used to.

Fair enough, but at the same time I'd be shocked if anyone could take a year off from actually playing football & not gain weight. Even if you're constantly working out, that doesn't just mean you'll stay at your playing weight. Only having that 1 good season worries me more than the rest, but I'm not knocking the pick.

Definitely risky, but I don't think pro day numbers matter nearly as much as his tape. How he plays in a game matters much more than his shuttle time or vertical jump.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Scorp83 said:

Gregory Rousseau is going to be Mario Williams 2.0 the kid just turn 21yrs old April 5th, he runs a 4.67 at 6'7 265lbs... in 2-3yrs he going to grow & probably be 6'9 285lbs & will dominate this league especially with McDermott...he's going to make him better. 
Love this pick!

I don’t see him growing 2 inches at age 21. Typically when I see players have growth spurts in the NBA they are around 19 or 20. 

The Bills roster is at a point that there's not many picks who will instantly walk in and be a starter. I know people love to hate Edmunds and Wallace, but it's not like any rookie on the board at that point was going to walk in and just push them out. I'd have gone a different direction, but I don't think gambling on a boom or bust prospect who has a lot of talent and has been a solid worker is crazy. 

He may need a year to get there, but that's right on time to replace a couple of the older guys currently on the roster.

25 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

https://caneswarning.com/2021/04/28/why-is-miami-hurricanes-de-greg-rousseau-plummeting-on-nfl-draft-big-boards/

So basically scouts grew worried after he opted out a year, then showed up to his pro day heavier, not as explosive as he used to be, and wasn't looking like he used to.

Fair enough, but at the same time I'd be shocked if anyone could take a year off from actually playing football & not gain weight. Even if you're constantly working out, that doesn't just mean you'll stay at your playing weight. Only having that 1 good season worries me more than the rest, but I'm not knocking the pick.

Definitely risky, but I don't think pro day numbers matter nearly as much as his tape. How he plays in a game matters much more than his shuttle time or vertical jump.

He gained weight intentionally. And his 40 time at his pro day is on par with elite pass rushers. 

When we look back on this pick we may release that we got a top 10 talent because he slipped on a three cone drill and fell on his vertical. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Could have traded down and still selected him... Beane's weakness seems to be selecting D-Linemen.

I dont get the smugness of some of you.

You dont even know that you could have traded down and got him.   Paye goes off the board.......a start on edge rushers happened.....if the bills wanted greg they COULD NOT have traded down because the teams very well could have had Greg as their next best available.

People need to realize they dont know ***** just because they saw something on a mock draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3