RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

9 minutes ago, Process said:

We now have the following on the d line:

2018 3rd rounder

2019 1st rounder

2020 2nd rounder

2021 1st rounder

And a 2018 first round pick at MLB.

Add in another LB we just signed to a big contract. 

No more excuses. Defense needs to take a big step next year or we will need to really start questioning if Beane knows what he is doing on that side of the ball. 

Add to that our franchise corner was a first rounder as well 

He's a guy that won't blow people off the edge, but he wins in different ways. 

He does a great job winning on the inside during pass rush situations and I would expect him to get a lot of opportunities inside this year.  The other thing he does well is when he does get up field off the edge is setting up the tackle he's matched up again.  He gets to the QB depth and does a great job of shedding blocks and crashing down inside limiting the QBs ability to step up and escape. 

I am not sure he will ever be a guy that will get 10-15 sacks just because he lacks the elite first step, but he has a chance to be a very solid player.  To those bashing the pick, you need to give it some time.  He's only played 1 year of college ball and that was 2 years ago.  So, I can understand why some don't like it.  As good as he was in 2019, there wasn't that follow-up season so solidify what he did so there just isn't a lot to go by.  He has a lot of the traits you can't teach with his height and length.  Like I said.....he may never win off the edge, but there are other ways to win and he has the tools to do so.  It may take a year or two, but I think he'll be playing a lot.  I see him, at worst, as a better version of Shaq Lawson which isn't the worst thing in the world.  It will take some time, though, but along the way, you'll see some flashes.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, sven233 said:

He's a guy that won't blow people off the edge, but he wins in different ways. 

He does a great job winning on the inside during pass rush situations and I would expect him to get a lot of opportunities inside this year.  The other thing he does well is when he does get up field off the edge is setting up the tackle he's matched up again.  He gets to the QB depth and does a great job of shedding blocks and crashing down inside limiting the QBs ability to step up and escape. 

I am not sure he will ever be a guy that will get 10-15 sacks just because he lacks the elite first step, but he has a chance to be a very solid player.  To those bashing the pick, you need to give it some time.  He's only played 1 year of college ball and that was 2 years ago.  So, I can understand why some don't like it.  As good as he was in 2019, there wasn't that follow-up season so solidify what he did so there just isn't a lot to go by.  He has a lot of the traits you can't teach with his height and length.  Like I said.....he may never win off the edge, but there are other ways to win and he has the tools to do so.  It may take a year or two, but I think he'll be playing a lot.  I see him, at worst, as a better version of Shaq Lawson which isn't the worst thing in the world.  It will take some time, though, but along the way, you'll see some flashes.

this is great insight. I think McDermott and beane really value strength over speed for defensive ends. How the league is trending is quicker passes.  That’s why  everyone on this board was banging the table for Ed Oliver. You need pressure up the middle. If you loop around regardless of how fast, you’re too late usually. 

I do like Oweh, but three weeks ago I was hoping Rousseau would fall to us. 

I think both will be good and break the drought of late first round DEs panning out. 

Does anyone know where to find snap percentages for our DL during the 2018/19/20 seasons? I ask because I know McD prefers to have his defensive linemen cycle a lot, which I find interesting. 

Beane seems to like taking DL early (looking at Carolina's record while he was there and now here in Buffalo). With premium picks being used up on players that rotate in/out all the time, I would hope/expect for more sacks due to them being "fresh" during games.

That doesn't seem to be the case over the last few of seasons, so hopefully it starts coming together this year with Star back in the fold. Otherwise this is a lot of draft capital (1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd) and money (3rd most in the league) tied up in a group that can be pretty underwhelming at times.

Edited by junior12thman92

32 minutes ago, LEBills said:

He will be practicing and all the other things a football player does but I wouldn’t expect a ton of opportunities with Hughes, Addison and AJ ahead of him and with Obada and DJ getting reps at DE as well. They brought AJ along slowly last year

they kind of had to bring AJ along slowly due to the situation. No OTA's, training camp was a wash, no preseason games. He wasn't ready to play NFL football early on. He did come on at the end though after he got a feel for the game. We'll see how this off season goes. That'll go a long way in determining Rousseau's progress. If he's allowed to learn from the players mentioned and get some decent hands on coaching early on. He might be a quick learner if the past is any indicator. 

35 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

If we traded up with Minnesota for Etienne... we'll be talked about winning the Superbowl right now. Etienne would have elevated us so much...man that was such a bad pick by the Jags...James Robinson is a beast! They didn't need another back with Robinson on their roster. It's like cutting your nose to spite your face. That's why they're the Jags!

I've said it before.........name one running back that the Bills passed on that went in round 1 in the last 25 years that anyone regrets not getting.

It's doesn't happen.

Running backs used to be a dime a dozen.........now they are still a half dozen for a dime but their impact on the game has been greatly diminished.

First round picks are for players that you will have to pay upwards of $20M per year to on their second contract if they reach their ceilings.

Bills can win with what they have or find their version of James Robinson later.    RB's are still easy to find.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I hate it. Should have been JOK. 

My thoughts exactly.  JOK was being mocked in late teens to early 20s and he drops in your lap at 30 and you don’t take him?!  He is the perfect athlete to add to deal with the Chiefs speed.  Kiper and the ESPN panel were critical that Roussea’s 15 sacks in 2019 mainly were coverage sacks and QBs running into him.  Most were from him playing the nose, not on the edge.  I liked Tryon better.  I would’ve also been happier with A. Samuel Jr.

My first reaction grade: C

• Dislike 3