RD 1, Pick 30: Greg Rousseau, Edge (Miami) Public Poll Added

SDS

Draft Pick Approval   

362 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion of the selection?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/06/2021 at 10:50 PM

I think this year will be a kind of redshirt year for Rousseau with a lot of healthy scratches, similar to AJ last year. They will let him come in, meet the dietician, hit the weights and then will be expected to be ready for 2022. Beane was true to his words of thinking long term in his team building with this pick.

Hopefully day two brings a CB2 and NT or iOL

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I’m with Daniel Jeremiah and Calais Campbell. He’s a lot better than many seem to give him credit for. He’s a versatile defender who can bring pressure up the middle or off the edge. He can also set the edge and play the run. Maybe because he is so tall he appears to have great vision of whats going on in the backfield. I think thats actually why Beane and others say he has a nose for the QB. He’s got decent power and exceptional lateral agility, not to mention incredible length. He looks like a guy who plays with passion and has an excellent motor. He will benefit from the Bills strength and conditioning programme. 

Whats not to like? This was a good pick. The kid has the makings of a really good player.

He looks so tall and thin and then you see them using him over center, or 3-T beating doubles. He uses those long arms and good leverage working against blocks with his head-up eyes always upfield, disciplined setting the edge, when he closes he just uncoils that long body and finishes. A project just in terms of experience, but the cupboard is not empty.

Excited to see what this kid could morph into.

• Like (+1) 4

Gregory Rousseau is going to be Mario Williams 2.0 the kid just turn 21yrs old April 5th, he runs a 4.67 at 6'7 265lbs... in 2-3yrs he going to grow & probably be 6'9 285lbs & will dominate this league especially with McDermott...he's going to make him better. 
Love this pick!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Rousseau 6’7

Epenesa 6’6

Obada 6’6

Johnson 6’6

Tua - very small

Zach Wilson - hmm only 6' 3" nice

Mac Jones - also only 6' 3", presumably slow due to slight potato shape

• Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I think this year will be a kind of redshirt year for Rousseau with a lot of healthy scratches, similar to AJ last year. They will let him come in, meet the dietician, hit the weights and then will be expected to be ready for 2022. Beane was true to his words of thinking long term in his team building with this pick.

Hopefully day two brings a CB2 and NT or iOL

So he doesn’t play football for 2 years now?  

Dislike this pick even more.   I really hope I’m wrong. 

• Eyeroll 1

GREGORY ROUSSEAU

EDGE RUSHER MIAMI

YEAR RS SOPHOMORE

AGE 20

HEIGHT 6'7"

WEIGHT 265

SHADES OF:

MONTEZ SWEAT

Buffalo Bills

2019 STATS

Based on 13 games played

Tackles

54TKLS

Tackles For Loss

19.5TFL

Sacks

15.5SACKS

BUFFALO BILLS

Rousseau isn’t super twitched-up or bendy as a pass rusher, but he brings incredible length and plenty of people-moving power. He helps add some youth to Buffalo’s defensive line and, paired with last year’s second-rounder, A.J. Epenesa, could give the Bills a pair of long-term power rushers who can wear down opposing tackles, collapse the pocket, and create disruption. 

Grade: B

TALL, ATHLETIC EDGE DEFENDER with rare length and tremendous closing speed; still raw in his techniques but boasts limitless upside.

Pro-Ready Frame

Pass-Rush Talent

Infinite Upside

SCOUTING REPORT

Rousseau has a long, athletic frame with vines for arms. A former wide receiver and safety who didn’t play the edge spot until his senior year of high school, the Hurricanes star is a bit unrefined and lacking in experience, but it’s tough to ignore his extraordinary size and movement skills. He uses his reach effectively, striking opposing linemen and holding on to control the rep, converting speed to power on bull rushes, or using pull-rip moves to shoot past opponents. Rousseau has excellent closing speed; he covers ground like a gazelle to make a sack or chase down the ballcarrier or quarterback. 

Rousseau lines up all along the defensive line, though he primarily plays on the edge. He’s effective and disruptive as a nickel rusher both from the three-technique and nose-tackle spots, showing the quickness to bound from gap to gap on stunts and the ability to swim- or rip-move into the backfield. Interior offensive linemen struggle to match up with the Hurricanes star’s first step, and it’s tough to get into his chest and stalemate him because of his length. Rousseau is a pain in the ass at read-option mesh points―where the combination of his huge wingspan and cobra-strike short-area burst help him play both the give and the keep. He makes things difficult for teams who leave him as the unblocked option on the back side of run plays. 

A second-team All American in 2019, Rousseau racked up 15.5 sacks (second nationally) and 19.5 tackles for a loss. He opted out of the 2020 season. The Miami playmaker plays with maximum hustle but needs to expand his repertoire of moves at the next level. There are times when he locks horns with opposing linemen but struggles to disengage or make a second move. He plays with good leverage, but he’s very tall and could struggle to anchor well against powerful interior linemen in the NFL.

WHY HE COULD RISE

Rousseau has all the traits to develop into a dominant pass rusher at the next level, combining a long frame with athleticism and a motor that runs hot.

WHY HE COULD FALL

He’s a work in progress as a relative newcomer to the position, and may need time to develop in the pros.

https://nfldraft.theringer.com/draft-grades?_ga=2.153147320.1679192313.1619759189-1148052034.1610764209

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

Gregory Rousseau is going to be Mario Williams 2.0 the kid just turn 21yrs old April 5th, he runs a 4.67 at 6'7 265lbs... in 2-3yrs he going to grow & probably be 6'9 285lbs & will dominate this league especially with McDermott...he's going to make him better. 
Love this pick!

Good lord he could just reach over the line and pick up the QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsfaninSB said:

If you're on an NFL roster, I'm assuming you're playing some football. Even if you don't dress, you are still playing football.

24 minutes ago, MJS said:

I was kind of hoping for Oweh after the good corners were all gone. I figured, heck, why not go for the generational size / speed combo?

I'm good with this pick, though. Edge is a need and this guy is a finisher. Excited to see him play.

REALLY glad we didn't trade up for a freaking running back.

If we traded up with Minnesota for Etienne... we'll be talked about winning the Superbowl right now. Etienne would have elevated us so much...man that was such a bad pick by the Jags...James Robinson is a beast! They didn't need another back with Robinson on their roster. It's like cutting your nose to spite your face. That's why they're the Jags!

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

Just now, BillsfaninSB said:

He will be practicing and all the other things a football player does but I wouldn’t expect a ton of opportunities with Hughes, Addison and AJ ahead of him and with Obada and DJ getting reps at DE as well. They brought AJ along slowly last year