2021 NFL Draft Round 1 talk - Official thread

23 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You keep talking about "solid" LTs. If Penei Sewell was just a "solid" LT prospect I might agree. But as a certain Portuguese soccer manager once said - he is not just one from the bottle, he is special. There are more WR1s in the league than there are elite left tackles.

I'm glad he fell to the Lions. If any fan base deserves some good karma after all of the suffering, it's that one.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You keep talking about "solid" LTs. If Penei Sewell was just a "solid" LT prospect I might agree. But as a certain Portuguese soccer manager once said - he is not just one from the bottle, he is special. There are more WR1s in the league than there are elite left tackles.

But its easier to get by with a solid LT rather than elite one, than it is a WR2 instead of a WR1.

Exhibit A : The Buffalo Bills with Diggs.

If you downgraded Diggs but upgraded Dawkins it would make the Bills worse. 

7 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Anyone else think 8pm is WAY too late to start the draft?

Not really. It's 1am or 2am in Europe. It was getting light when the Bills picked. 

Just now, Mountain Man said:

But its easier to get by with a solid LT rather than elite one, than it is a WR2 instead of a WR1.

Exhibit A : The Buffalo Bills with Diggs.

If you downgraded Diggs but upgraded Dawkins it would make the Bills worse. 

True, it would but the Bills are not a team whose #1 overall franchise Quarterbacks managed precisely 9 games before having his knee ligaments torn to shreds because they can't block. They haven't been able to block in forever. Stupid franchise, that made a stupid move and failed to fix its most fatal flaw. They will regret that pick, even though Chase will be really good. $25 dollars right now to anyone who wants to take it - Joe Burrow will miss at least 1 start in 2021 due to injury. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

True, it would but the Bills are not a team whose #1 overall franchise Quarterbacks managed precisely 9 games before having his knee ligaments torn to shreds because they can't block. They haven't been able to block in forever. Stupid franchise, that made a stupid move and failed to fix its most fatal flaw. They will regret that pick, even though Chase will be really good. $25 dollars right now to anyone who wants to take it - Joe Burrow will miss at least 1 start in 2021 due to injury. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. For me, based on this draft, and what was available they made absolutely the best decision,and the way round 1 played out, with less OTs going than expected only reinforced that

2 hours ago, Sweats said:

The whole AFC got a lot better after that first round.

No they didn't. History has shown a decent percentage of the picks will be busts. And I think it would be a statistical astonishment if those confined only to the NFC

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Pats can have Jones. I don't think he's dynamic and has limited upside. He doesn't scare me one bit. 

Dynamic? Ran a 4.58 40 yard dash but isn’t considered Mobil, broke records for accuracy but it’s all his surrounding cast.

Meanwhile they say he is the first in and the last out for practice, his tapes show a QB with great pocket presence, and he throws it quickly and accurately. 

also IMO most QBs who are busy is because of the coaches who draft them sorta kinda stink!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Dynamic? Ran a 4.58 40 yard dash but isn’t considered Mobil, broke records for accuracy but it’s all his surrounding cast.

Meanwhile they say he is the first in and the last out for practice, his tapes show a QB with great pocket presence, and he throws it quickly and accurately. 

also IMO most QBs who are busy is because of the coaches who draft them sorta kinda stink!

Let me guess you had a write up for Fields also 😜

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It would be fine if the NFL announced the pick when it was in instead of making sure they get the programming in from the prior pick. Seemed like it was an hour too long, full of production value.

Starts at 5:00 in California. I’m good! 😎

55 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Well he does have a Bradyesque physic ;)

He better be  accurate because that arm isn't going to scare anyone in the NFL ;)

10 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It would be fine if the NFL announced the pick when it was in instead of making sure they get the programming in from the prior pick. Seemed like it was an hour too long, full of production value.

3 hours of primetime baby ;)

Its all about those advertising dollars.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Well he does have a Bradyesque physic ;)

He better be  accurate because that arm isn't going to scare anyone in the NFL ;)

3 hours of primetime baby ;)

Its all about those advertising dollars.

Sad, yet so very true, money, above everything else, is the NFLs god, it’s what they worship. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really don't understand the big nickel obsession here with the Notre Dame guy. There is just no value in taking a player like that in the first round. If he is there in the 2nd, great. Whether or not you like Rousseau is one thing, but getting hung up on this big nickel idea doesn't make sense. They tried beating KC by trying to cover everyone and it didn't work. They tried beating Brady that way for years and did not work.  The only way to beat them is to get to the QB, and they need to try to do that rushing only 4 at times. That's what they are trying to do here.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

Time will tell. The QB had two elite WRs, offense line men, and a RB all picked in the 1st round of the draft. Go ahead and minimize his supporting staff. I think you and I had a good chance to succeed in Alabama. I think he will be serviceable but nothing screams elite or franchise to me. I can't wait for the Bills to beat down the Pats this year. 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I really don't understand the big nickel obsession here with the Notre Dame guy. There is just no value in taking a player like that in the first round. If he is there in the 2nd, great. Whether or not you like Rousseau is one thing, but getting hung up on this big nickel idea doesn't make sense. They tried beating KC by trying to cover everyone and it didn't work. They tried beating Brady that way for years and did not work.  The only way to beat them is to get to the QB, and they need to try to do that rushing only 4 at times. That's what they are trying to do here.  

I don't really view JOK as a big nickel; he's just a really good football player where ever you line him up and one of those places you could line him up is as the nickel. To me, he's the best LB in the draft.

Having said that, I'm not heartbroken we didn't take him, but I was hoping he or Elijah Moore would be the pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Congrats on getting the 5th best QB in the draft.

Do you know why his tapes show great pocket presence?  He had the best line in football. No one got near him.  When a defender occasionally did, he threw off his back foot and his accuracy dropped by double digits.

I'm thrilled the Patriots got Jones instead of Fields or Garroppolo.  Absolutely thrilled.  They'll have to invest at least 2-3 years in him now, and the chances he's "the guy" to replace the GOAT are probably less than 10%.

Some random thoughts on the first round:

• 49ers made the right call (at least between he and Mac) and I'm in the money so that's always nice
  • Not really a fan of Miami taking Waddle but not surprising they went that way and I get it, just isn't what I would have done. Phillips was a potentially great pick though.
  • Chicago could be scary good
  • Almost always a fan of trading down, but I wouldn't have taken Parsons in the Cowboys' shoes
  • Hopefully this won't bite me in the future but so happy to see Mac end up being New England's guy
  • I love Kadarius Toney and love the trade down, but I think offensive weapons was the least of the Giants' issues
  • The Jaguars have spent so many top picks on RBs recently and the best RB they've had is the undrafted guy from last year lol

Kinda nuts that Elijah Moore and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah are still on the board to start Day 2, as is my #5 QB in the class (though that isn't surprising).

4 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Lmao that clip never gets old for me

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1