2021 NFL Draft Round 1 talk - Official thread

22 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Some random thoughts on the first round:

• 49ers made the right call (at least between he and Mac) and I'm in the money so that's always nice
  • Not really a fan of Miami taking Waddle but not surprising they went that way and I get it, just isn't what I would have done. Phillips was a potentially great pick though.
  • Chicago could be scary good
  • Almost always a fan of trading down, but I wouldn't have taken Parsons in the Cowboys' shoes
  • Hopefully this won't bite me in the future but so happy to see Mac end up being New England's guy
  • I love Kadarius Toney and love the trade down, but I think offensive weapons was the least of the Giants' issues
  • The Jaguars have spent so many top picks on RBs recently and the best RB they've had is the undrafted guy from last year lol

Kinda nuts that Elijah Moore and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah are still on the board to start Day 2, as is my #5 QB in the class (though that isn't surprising).

Lmao that clip never gets old for me

Add to that list Trevon Moehrig and Christian Barmore. I was iffy on Moore going in the first, but I thought JOK, Moehrig, and Barmore would all be long gone.  

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

Add to that list Trevon Moehrig and Christian Barmore. I was iffy on Moore going in the first, but I thought JOK, Moehrig, and Barmore would all be long gone.  

Supposedly there's medical questions that caused JOK's slide. Can't really speak to the others aside from the general consensus being that this is a weak safety and DT class and I think there's a lot of questions about Barmore's mental makeup.

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Dynamic? Ran a 4.58 40 yard dash but isn’t considered Mobil, broke records for accuracy but it’s all his surrounding cast.

Meanwhile they say he is the first in and the last out for practice, his tapes show a QB with great pocket presence, and he throws it quickly and accurately. 

also IMO most QBs who are busy is because of the coaches who draft them sorta kinda stink!

I hate to say it, but Jones is one of the most underrated guys in the draft.  He looks like a pudgy white frat bro, but he can absolutely play.  He was a better college QB than Tua, who went number 5 overall last year.  And Belichick didn’t panic and trade up after the other QBs were off the board...

2 hours ago, Success said:

Congrats on getting the 5th best QB in the draft.

Do you know why his tapes show great pocket presence?  He had the best line in football. No one got near him.  When a defender occasionally did, he threw off his back foot and his accuracy dropped by double digits.

I'm thrilled the Patriots got Jones instead of Fields or Garroppolo.  Absolutely thrilled.  They'll have to invest at least 2-3 years in him now, and the chances he's "the guy" to replace the GOAT are probably less than 10%.

I am not comparing him to the GOAT. No one is ever going to be Brady. He is definitely a huge step up from Newton. 

Fields - 3 games with less than 200 yards, and had his worse game in both championship games. 

Trey Lance - played inferior competition and numbers were good not great. 

Wilson - One good year and also not elite competition.

Jones — had a stacked WR core a good O line. Broke records for completion percentage in NCAA History, had one of the best TD to INT ratio. Also made quick decisions and went three reads quickly. Also stepped up in the pocket and still delivered a clean ball when being hit.  He put up better numbers than Burrows who’s entire O is also in the NFL now. 

outside of Lawrence, NONE of them are sure things but Jones is the best one to plug into the system the Pats like to run and they didn’t give up draft capitol to get him.

• Eyeroll 1

20 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am not comparing him to the GOAT. No one is ever going to be Brady. He is definitely a huge step up from Newton. 

Fields - 3 games with less than 200 yards, and had his worse game in both championship games. 

Jones — had a stacked WR core a good O line. Broke records for completion percentage in NCAA History, had one of the best TD to INT ratio. Also made quick decisions and went three reads quickly. Also stepped up in the pocket and still delivered a clean ball when being hit.  He put up better numbers than Burrows who’s entire O is also in the NFL now. 

outside of Lawrence, NONE of them are sure things but Jones is the best one to plug into the system the Pats like to run and they didn’t give up draft capitol to get him.

I still think we have 2 best QBs in AFC East right now.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I don't really view JOK as a big nickel; he's just a really good football player where ever you line him up and one of those places you could line him up is as the nickel. To me, he's the best LB in the draft.

Having said that, I'm not heartbroken we didn't take him, but I was hoping he or Elijah Moore would be the pick.

Yeah I liked Moore a lot actually. I get the JOK love. I just don't see where he would play in a defense that is mostly pretty conventional. If we didn't re-sign Milano I would love it. JOK is perfect in a place like Baltimore, NE, Miami, places with more Amoeba type defenses. Maybe Atlanta next to Deion Jones. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m sorry I can’t stop 

The Zach Wilson thing is just hilarious. Someone needs to get him on the Subway in the south Bronx and film it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

I still think we have 2 best QBs in AFC East right now.

Definitely have the best QB without a doubt in the East I say top 5 in the NFL.  After that in the East it can be any of the 3, I will say Newton starts the year for NE and Jones replaces him half way threw.  I think Jones will be the clear 3nd by years end just based off of better coaching. (And Devante Smith considers him better than Tua lol) 

all and all it was the right pick at 15. Bust or boom it was correct.

Jones, Tua & Wilson 

Could see any of them being the best of the trio.  

Wilson has the most potential, with a bust floor, and Tua/Jones with a lower ceiling but organized talent around them.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I will never get enough 

good lord who's dog died.....wait

bill-belichicks-dog.jpg

Is that why he's not there?

55 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Hey he is like 90 it was way past his bedtime man was exhausted. Lol

Yeah but everyone in the room looked like they wanted to be doing anything else. Like I mean the round table of are you good with this. It was like "Well if we have to."

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

It would be fine if the NFL announced the pick when it was in instead of making sure they get the programming in from the prior pick. Seemed like it was an hour too long, full of production value.

You are coming at it as an Eastern time zone denizen.  8 PM east is 5 PM in the West.   They want as many people watching as possible.   I lived in SF when in the Army in the mid 80s.  Watching football at 10 in the morning stunk.  

42 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

good lord who's dog died.....wait

bill-belichicks-dog.jpg

Is that why he's not there?

Yeah but everyone in the room looked like they wanted to be doing anything else. Like I mean the round table of are you good with this. It was like "Well if we have to."

The best was when they made sure to consult with old Matty Patty. What could go wrong? 

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I feel like you may have a crush on Jones considering all the other QB’s received a one sentence description. Jones received 5 🤔 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I will never get enough 

I like that Belichick asked about ten times if everyone was good with the pick and unenthusiastically says “yeah I’m good with it”. It’s like they were forced.