2021 NFL Draft Round 1 talk - Official thread

1 minute ago, Playoffs? said:

I’m indifferent. I guess I gotta trust the process. However I’ve been somewhat underwhelmed by Oliver, Edmunds and AJ... so I’m really hoping I’m wrong about them or Rousseau is a stud. 

just wonder if we could’ve traded back a few spots and gotten him there..

but if he was their guy, he was their guy. 

i agree with Edmunds. The others I’m still I wait and see mode. 

but Rousseau is exactly what McDermott and beane like in a DE going back to Carolina. Heavy handed, power rusher with the length to cause some fumbles and stop the run. 

8 minutes ago, beerme1 said:

I've heard Beane say yes the mentality is bpa. However, if bpa is close to the biggest need on the team he is willing to shift. He is a man of his word. 

Respect Brandon Beane.

I hope you’re right, I really do.  But when a dynamic top 15 player with no med or character issues falls to 30 and we can still pick up an edge rusher in the 2nd who we can coach up (JOK’s talent isn’t coachable) I think of the havoc Milano and JOK could cause (as Tremaine wanders around confused until they fix the scheme to use his uncoachable talents and maybe JOK would have caused the scheme fix).  

Now tomorrow we need to get a CB, DT, OL, WR and a shot in the dark TE (I’d say BPA but need is where we went last time so...).  And, I know Rousseau was a top edge rusher and we need one but this was a weak year and isn’t that based on one year’s production?  Many teams have been down that road before. 

Trust me I hope I’m wrong, I want Rousseau to be a stud and will root for him.  Long emotional day! Excuse me gents...

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, mjdotson said:

Awful selection.  Slow, stiff DE with no suddenness or explosion, so we take him ahead of one of the most explosive and athletic ILB’s in the draft and who is still on the board (JOK).  Complete *****-the-bed pick that screams “*****, everyone we wanted is gone, so let’s go full-Buffalo and draft another D-lineman.”  Very uninspiring. Arguably the worst Buffalo pick since McCargo.

James Hardy and Jeff Tuel.  But they weren’t first round picks when we’re one game away from the SB.  BPA.  BPA.  BPA. Can’t coach what JOK has and has shown on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, mjdotson said:

Awful selection.  Slow, stiff DE with no suddenness or explosion, so we take him ahead of one of the most explosive and athletic ILB’s in the draft and who is still on the board (JOK).  Complete *****-the-bed pick that screams “*****, everyone we wanted is gone, so let’s go full-Buffalo and draft another D-lineman.”  Very uninspiring. Arguably the worst Buffalo pick since McCargo.

LOL, I doubt it's McCargo, either way.  But love the fire'y-hot take you dished up!  I don't know why, but I giggle at people like you.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, mjdotson said:

You suck.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think Miami upgraded in general, but we countered tiny Tua with a giant edge presence. Almost seems like both Miami and Buffalo were laser focused on each other considering their Jaelen Phillips pick, which I do really like. I think that could be the most impactful pick against us so far, especially in the short term.

But Tua, man. How are you going to make that work? Miami's got to know this, right? Could they try to swing a QB in the next couple of days? He's 6 foot maybe and wasn't good last year, I'm more interested to see what Miami does than I've been in a decade at least.

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

I think Miami upgraded in general, but we countered tiny Tua with a giant edge presence. Almost seems like both Miami and Buffalo were laser focused on each other considering their Jaelen Phillips pick, which I do really like. I think that could be the most impactful pick against us so far, especially in the short term.

But Tua, man. How are you going to make that work? Miami's got to know this, right? Could they try to swing a QB in the next couple of days? He's 6 foot maybe and wasn't good last year, I'm more interested to see what Miami does than I've been in a decade at least.

I think Miami did great.  I mean it is hard to screw up on day 1 with those high picks.

At the end of the day Tua will make or break this team. 

41 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I've continually heard Rousseau compared to Calais Campbell as a prospect...Some believe he'll be best gaining weight and rushing from the inside exclusively on obvious passing downs. Beane just mentioned he would move inside in the Nickle D...But Beane also said he figured Rousseau would stay around 260-270...

This is definitely a trust the process pick...I doubt very much he would have been available at #30 had he played last year...Maybe it would have been 15-25 and not top 10 like some had him after 2019...But probably not 30...B-)

I will say this...........as a Miami fan.........Jaelan Phillips was a POOR substitute for Greg Rousseau.    

Rousseau opting out was a dagger to the program.   

Rousseau had barely ever played DL in a game prior to the 2019 season and then did what he did while not being a starter until half way thru the season.

Phillips is the better athlete but he just didn't make NEARLY enough plays.   And I don't know how the narrative came out that Phillips was a player against the run..........but nope.  It was pass rush or fail for Phillips.   That's not the case with Rousseau. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mjdotson said:

As I've said before..........let me know when a 6'1" 216# "big nickel" with tiny hands does everything this mythical creature is purportedly capable of.

He won't actually cover a top TE in the NFL effectively........he sure as hell won't cover a slot WR like Cole Beasley.........so wtf is the point of taking a CB off the field for him and making yourself worse in coverage?       

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Rumors they are trying to trade for deshaun.

Hopefully they do then he gets in his head about all the rapes and loses his mojo 

37 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Hopefully they do then he gets in his head about all the rapes and loses his mojo 

Mojo won't matter if he is on the commissioner's exempt list.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a great OT draft. But Sewell is a special prospect. And that team has been so bad on the oline for so long. I can't be convinced on this. They will regret passing on him, as good as Chase will be. 

It's absolutely the opposite. You don't pass on WR1s, they are in massive short supply in the league. There are maybe 10,if that. There a lot more solid LTs about. 

2 hours ago, mjdotson said:

so we take him ahead of one of the most explosive and athletic ILB’s in the draft and who is still on the board (JOK).  

Yet curiously wasn't selected despite a significant number of teams late in round 1 having a need for him. 

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

If I was Miami, I'd offer a 3rd for Jimmy G. Sure he's not elite, but he can win with a great defense. 

4 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

It's absolutely the opposite. You don't pass on WR1s, they are in massive short supply in the league. There are maybe 10,if that. There a lot more solid LTs about. 

You keep talking about "solid" LTs. If Penei Sewell was just a "solid" LT prospect I might agree. But as a certain Portuguese soccer manager once said - he is not just one from the bottle, he is special. There are more WR1s in the league than there are elite left tackles.