Houston DE Payton Turner to go higher than expected: a sign of things to come?

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have learned to live with high draft picks I’ve never heard of. Happens pretty often, it seems. 🤷‍♂️

I bet there are a lot of "wild" picks this year.  With players dropping and some coming out of nowhere.  Medical concerns and other issues that fans usually find out about at the combine or something will have a bigger impact than usual I bet. 

Edited by Gregthekeg
  • Like (+1) 3

I like Payton Turner, A LOT. And as I mentioned in another thread, he really seems like a "Process" guy. He may not be elite at anything, but he's good at everything. He gets after the QB and he plays the run well also. Former teammate of Ed O @ Houston. 

• Like (+1) 1

I was late in watching Payton Turner. But I was impressed by what I saw. He plays at a different speed than others around him. This is always something I look for when watching college d-linemen. I'll be interested in seeing what kind of pro he turns into.

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Meh. 

He reminds me of an overgrown version of former Bills OLB Gabe Northern.     Very stiff........which negates a lot of his length.   Mobile QB's tend to make guys like that miss and put them on highlight reels.   You gotta' be a BEAST to be that stiff and make plays.   

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

He reminds me of an overgrown version of former Bills OLB Gabe Northern.     Very stiff........which negates a lot of his length.   Mobile QB's tend to make guys like that miss and put them on highlight reels.   You gotta' be a BEAST to be that stiff and make plays.   

I suspect Gabe Northern is long before my time but I agree on Turner playing stiff. Honestly 2 weeks ago when he started getting some buzz I hadn't even watched him he was not on my radar at all. Maybe I haven't watched the games where he shines but what I have seen I don't get it. Like at all.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I suspect Gabe Northern is long before my time but I agree on Turner playing stiff. Honestly 2 weeks ago when he started getting some buzz I hadn't even watched him he was not on my radar at all. Maybe I haven't watched the games where he shines but what I have seen I don't get it. Like at all.

Yeah the Bills drafted Northern in round 2 in 1996..........he was a beast on special teams and had his moments as a pass rusher..........but he always looked like he was too upright and stiff to tie his shoes.      I had my fingers crossed for a DL named Brady Smith in round 2.   Smith wasn't great but had a nice career.   I liked Gabe but in like round 5.    This was a common theme with John Butler.    I was big on Erik Flowers in round 6 all during the draft process..........just a moldable piece to develop.......my jaw about dropped off my head when he went to Buffalo in round 1.     For a guy running a 3-4 forever he was not great at evaluating OLB's.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Seems like a classic "reach on position" trap.

Would rather have Etienne. And I've been pounding the drum to build the DL since last offseason.

I think Turner will go be mid 2nd at latest, else I would want to trade up for him in 2nd.  Could see why someone could pull the trigger tonight, but it would be a mild surprise.

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think Turner will go be mid 2nd at latest, else I would want to trade up for him in 2nd.  Could see why someone could pull the trigger tonight, but it would be a mild surprise.

He is so tall with long arms and pretty good power with ability to rush inside and disrupt passing lanes with his long arms and height.

Not banging the table for him, but if they want DE take your pick of a lot of players who all have questions or holes.