Urban just can’t quit Tebow! (Update - Cut by Jags)

Just chiming in here.  I know there has been some debate in NFL circles about Tebow getting a shot before Kapernick.  I am not here to stoke that fire.  Just putting in some thoughts.  I recall hearing Kapernick having a demanding price to play.  Which probably means he feels he is worth more than a team was offering him.  Maybe that part isn't true.  I am not sure.  

Tebow signed for minimum.  Which means he is trying out and no guarantee to make the team.   https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-signed-te-tim-tebow-for-one-year-minimum-920k-deal

I can honestly see Tebow running down the filed to cover kicks.  Maybe he lucks out and gets some Taysom Hill type reps.  But it looks like it is a genuine try to make the team as a TE.  Will be interesting.  He is an athlete and I could see him pulling it off at a 3rd TE/practice squad player.  

I can't envision Kapernick being willing to play a different position.  Maybe next season he tries that route? IDK.  But I think that is the epitome of what the difference is between the two situations.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/20/2021 at 11:51 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Normal for a bottom of the roster guy who probably won’t make the team, right?

Yeah.  He's making the team meaning a more deserving player won't get a spot.  I get it though from a financial perspective especially in a market like Jacksonville.  It's a risk when your backup TE/FB/QB(whatever he'll be) will get more media attention than your star players in the locker room.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  He's making the team meaning a more deserving player won't get a spot.  I get it though from a financial perspective especially in a market like Jacksonville.  It's a risk when your backup TE/FB/QB(whatever he'll be) will get more media attention than your star players in the locker room.

You have to know your locker room, and aside from Jax not really having any pre-draft stars, I highly doubt Trevor Lawrence or Travis Etienne care if people obsess over Tebow.  

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Agree. Tebow is almost as big as God in North Florida. The Jags have already won from a marketing prospective for sure. That’s why I’ve said time and time again on this topic, I’ve got nothing against Tebow, but there are plenty of non football reasons the Jags have Tebow on the roster. The jersey sales prove that. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Not sure why they’d ever put in Tebow over Lawrence.  Lawrence is more than capable of running RPO’s.  Jags might as well invite Kaepernick to training camp too.  Apparently Meyer enjoys the circus.  

Capable? yeah for sure. 
But Tebow is an all-time great at doing that , and you wouldn’t have to hold your breath like we do whenever Josh tries to jam it in from the 2 yd line. 

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

Agree. Tebow is almost as big as God in North Florida. The Jags have already won from a marketing prospective for sure. That’s why I’ve said time and time again on this topic, I’ve got nothing against Tebow, but there are plenty of non football reasons the Jags have Tebow on the roster. The jersey sales prove that. 

Well, a lot of players have changed their venue... Michael Jordan's jersey with the Wizards must be a real collectors item nowadays. Only difference is that Jordan was a superstar, Timmy not so much. 

• Like (+1) 1

Love it! Great signing for Jacksonville. They get a Super High Character person that could bring a lot to the locker room. No one can deny Teebow is a class act off the filed, if he can prove it on the field this is a home run for Jacksonville. Let’s see if he makes the team, I suspect he does and contributes on the field and definitely off the field. I’ll be watching Jacksonville this year for sure with Lawrence and Teebow. Should be entertaining….. The fact that his jersey became the #1 item in NFL Shop online 1 day after signing the contract says a lot about how people love Teebow. 

Edited by wppete
  • Agree 1

Tim Tebow would join Doug Flutie with record nine-year gap between NFL games

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/22/tim-tebow-would-join-doug-flutie-with-record-nine-year-gap-between-nfl-games/

In the unlikely event that Tim Tebow actually plays for the Jaguars this season, he’ll return to the field nine years after playing his last NFL game. In doing so, he’d be doing something not seen since Doug Flutie.

Have not seen the betting odds recently but PFT is known for being poor at picking odds.

Tebow is very different from Flutie, who spent his intervening nine years actually playing football at a high level, albeit in a different league. And there is no players’ strike this year. So what the Jaguars are giving Tebow a chance to do is basically unprecedented in NFL history.

13 hours ago, wppete said:

Love it! Great signing for Jacksonville. They get a Super High Character person that could bring a lot to the locker room. No one can deny Teebow is a class act off the filed, if he can prove it on the field this is a home run for Jacksonville. Let’s see if he makes the team, I suspect he does and contributes on the field and definitely off the field. I’ll be watching Jacksonville this year for sure with Lawrence and Teebow. Should be entertaining….. The fact that his jersey became the #1 item in NFL Shop online 1 day after signing the contract says a lot about how people love Teebow. 

Yeah, it's going to be freakin hilarious when the rookie Lawrence has a couple of down games (like all rookies do) and the Jag/Tebow fans turn against their 1st overall pick.

There are more Tebow fans than Jag fans, and they're going to eat Lawrence alive.  😆

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, wppete said:

Love it! Great signing for Jacksonville. They get a Super High Character person that could bring a lot to the locker room. No one can deny Teebow is a class act off the filed, if he can prove it on the field this is a home run for Jacksonville. Let’s see if he makes the team, I suspect he does and contributes on the field and definitely off the field.

Maybe this is a way for owner to get someone to give spirited speeches which are covered in salary cap.

The whole thing reminds me of him going back to play baseball.

https://www.thewrap.com/tim-tebow-baseball-mlb-quarterback-arizona-florida-state/

College football legend-turned-failed NFL quarterback Tim Tebow is actively pursuing a return to the field. However, his new goal is to wind up on a baseball field, not football.

“This may sound like a publicity stunt, but nothing could be further from the truth. I have seen Tim’s workouts, and people inside and outside the industry – scouts, executives, players and fans – will be impressed by his talent,” Brodie Van Wagenen

Van Wagenen continued: “As an agent, I have a genuine respect for how hard it is to succeed at the game of baseball and a true admiration for those who possess the talent to play it at the Major League level

1 hour ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

This might be a sneaky good move by slick old Urban Meyer.

Everyone is talking about Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow right now, very little about Trevor Lawrence.

This move might be cheap media bait to deflect attention from Lawrence in his rookie offseason?

Deflect attention?  All of northern and central Florida are going to be calling for Tebow to start at QB.  Lawrence is going to be under a microscope with every mistake being vilified.

The Jag message boards are going to be a toxic swamp of Tebow supporters calling for wholesome Tebow to start ahead of the long-haired rookie freak.

If Tebow gets a roster spot, Jacksonville will be a more toxic environment for Lawrence than New York was for Darnold.

2 hours ago, Perry Turtle said:

Yeah, it's going to be freakin hilarious when the rookie Lawrence has a couple of down games (like all rookies do) and the Jag/Tebow fans turn against their 1st overall pick.

There are more Tebow fans than Jag fans, and they're going to eat Lawrence alive.  😆

Should be very interesting that’s for sure. But Jags have 2 super high character guys at QB now 😂

On 5/21/2021 at 11:47 AM, Fred Slacks said:

Just chiming in here.  I know there has been some debate in NFL circles about Tebow getting a shot before Kapernick.  I am not here to stoke that fire.  Just putting in some thoughts.  I recall hearing Kapernick having a demanding price to play.  Which probably means he feels he is worth more than a team was offering him.  Maybe that part isn't true.  I am not sure.  

Tebow signed for minimum.  Which means he is trying out and no guarantee to make the team.   https://www.nfl.com/news/jaguars-signed-te-tim-tebow-for-one-year-minimum-920k-deal

I can honestly see Tebow running down the filed to cover kicks.  Maybe he lucks out and gets some Taysom Hill type reps.  But it looks like it is a genuine try to make the team as a TE.  Will be interesting.  He is an athlete and I could see him pulling it off at a 3rd TE/practice squad player.  

I can't envision Kapernick being willing to play a different position.  Maybe next season he tries that route? IDK.  But I think that is the epitome of what the difference is between the two situations.

If you don't know if something is true or not, it's best not to lead your post with it. 

'Lucks out and gets some Taysom Hill type reps', ?  It certainly wouldn't be because of his last 9 years of QB play, which is non existent.

It's a farce that he's being given this opportunity. He hasn't earned it. It's because he's neighbors and good friends with the head coach. No other 34 year old player out of football for 6 years and never having played the position at any level would be given this opportunity.

17 minutes ago, wppete said:

Should be very interesting that’s for sure. But Jags have 2 super high character guys at QB now 😂

Who's the other one besides Lawrence?

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I know every one that talks about Teabow never has much good to say about him i think that is more based on his religious convictions for some reason than his play . And is based some what on a world that had more of the cancel culture in it when he played than we realized .

Sure his numbers at QB in the NFL aren't real pretty but the one year he was the starter he had a winning season . I looked at his high light real the dude was a weapon no matter what anyone thinks . Check it out for your self .

If there was or is a team that would have done what Baltimore has done with Jackson and change the offense to fit the player i believe he could have done the same thing as Lamar but the short sightedness at the time he was drafted to not play to his strengths was pretty apparent !

Teabow is first a HUGE competitor and a great person/motivator & team guy and will do what ever it takes for the team to succeed i think Urban Myer knows that better than any one and will use him in many different ways to prove his worth .

Plus he knows because of that and his moral convictions he will be a great mentor to the young players on the team not only to show them how to be a great team/NFL player on the field but how to be a great human being off the field to make them really good people in a world that is so screwed up and a couple more that would act a bit more like a Tim Teabow would be a welcome in this world  for sure ...

Edited by T master

On 5/22/2021 at 12:55 PM, Perry Turtle said:

Good thing nobody shows up to Jags games, Lawrence won't hear anyone booing.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/22/2021 at 2:33 PM, Perry Turtle said:

Deflect attention?  All of northern and central Florida are going to be calling for Tebow to start at QB.  Lawrence is going to be under a microscope with every mistake being vilified.

The Jag message boards are going to be a toxic swamp of Tebow supporters calling for wholesome Tebow to start ahead of the long-haired rookie freak.

If Tebow gets a roster spot, Jacksonville will be a more toxic environment for Lawrence than New York was for Darnold.

My opinion differs with yours. That is cool. I think it's been very clear from day 1 he is not being brought in to QB, but to try TE.