Urban just can’t quit Tebow! (Update - Cut by Jags)

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Urban just can’t quit Tebow! (Update - Jags sign to 1 year deal as TE)
On 5/12/2021 at 1:46 AM, Mark Vader said:

Yes, we can only do what we can. That being said, Kaepernick has a much bigger platform than most people do.

Is it within Kaepernick's wheelhouse? Absolutely! He brought the attention to this issue, did he not? Does he really want things to change and get better for people in the black community? Talking to officials or leaders in communities, people with real clout would show leadership.

Reaching out to leaders in the cities and states and communicating with chiefs of police to discuss the problems in these communities would go a long ways in attempting to bring change.

President Trump invited Kaepernick to the White House to discuss these issues, and Kaepernick turned him down.

Even if he had accepted Trump's offer and nothing positive came of it, the attempt to discuss the issues with him, would have spoke volumes to me and I think many other people, but he didn't.

Which makes me wonder, does Kaepernick really want things to change in the black community?

Leaving it in better hands? To me that would be a cop out(no pun intended). Don't start what you can't finish, and don't leave all the heavy lifting to those who support you.

I don't know if Tebow does this or not.

The only thing that came from Tebow's kneeling was anger and rage from anti-religious boors.

Things changing for the better would hurt Kaepernick's bottom line. I see him as a total grifter tbh. I remember those "workouts" he was holding where he didn't want to follow any of the rules and then complained that he didn't get signed. He doesn't want to play in the NFL, he's making way more money complaining about things.

I mean, Madden is including him in their game as a good QB, even though he sucks. If he shut up and played football, he'd be a 3rd string QB with no Nike deal and little social capital, making league min.

• Agree 1

On 5/11/2021 at 3:17 PM, SirAndrew said:

True, but he didn’t earn a spot in AAA. The Mets used him to generate interest. I really don’t care, it’s just clear that Tebow gets opportunities few other athletes are granted. I’m not upset by Tebow living his life, but I also don’t understand why some are offended by others pointing out the fact Tebow hasn’t really earned any of this. I’m willing to listen when Tebow becomes a productive tight end. I’m also willing to admit I’m wrong at that point. 

He won the Heisman trophy, won two national championships, was a 2x First-team All-American, and was a 2x SEC Player of the Year, and... was out of the NFL after just 3 seasons (apart from a couple of off-season tryouts for a couple teams). This is after going 8-6 as a starter, having a 17:9 TD to Int ratio, and winning a playoff game. Plus he had 6 comeback wins and 6 game winning drives in just those few starts.

I would say he has been afforded a normal opportunity given his wild success as a college QB. He is clearly a gifted athlete and has shown that even at the NFL level.

I don't think Tebow is a good QB. He just simply isn't a good passer of the football. But to act like he has received special treatment and has been given opportunities he doesn't deserve is just absolutely ridiculous to claim. He was only in the league for 3 seasons. He played some minor league baseball. Are you kidding me?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

NFL coaches bring their favorite old players in all the time.  The difference here is the coach has never been in the NFL before, so he brought in a player who is a hard worker, will do anything the coach asks & is among the coach's favorite former players.  

The Bills have a history of doing this as well.  Think of all the ex-Panthers McDermott has brought in.  For us older guys think back to the late 70s & early 80s when Chuck Knox brought a bunch of ex-Rams to Orchard Park.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

He won the Heisman trophy, won two national championships, was a 2x First-team All-American, and was a 2x SEC Player of the Year, and... was out of the NFL after just 3 seasons (apart from a couple of off-season tryouts for a couple teams). This is after going 8-6 as a starter, having a 17:9 TD to Int ratio, and winning a playoff game. Plus he had 6 comeback wins and 6 game winning drives in just those few starts.

I would say he has been afforded a normal opportunity given his wild success as a college QB. He is clearly a gifted athlete and has shown that even at the NFL level.

I don't think Tebow is a good QB. He just simply isn't a good passer of the football. But to act like he has received special treatment and has been given opportunities he doesn't deserve is just absolutely ridiculous to claim. He was only in the league for 3 seasons. He played some minor league baseball. Are you kidding me?

Not extremely different to the time the Bills brought a failed 36 year old QB back into the NFL for another try.  Now the player had been great in the CFL during his 8 seasons away from the NFL but he was not changing positions & was not playing football again for the 1st time in years, but it worked out.  You never know.  

• Like (+1) 1

I am truly confused by the hate on the guy- he is a truly great athlete who has done nice things for many people. Bringing him in is no different than us having Christian Wade on our team at the worst. He is unlikely to make the team but all the teams have training camp bodies, he is simply more famous.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Not extremely different to the time the Bills brought a failed 36 year old QB back into the NFL for another try.  Now the player had been great in the CFL during his 8 seasons away from the NFL but he was not changing positions & was not playing football again for the 1st time in years, but it worked out.  You never know.  

Yes you will

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

NFL coaches bring their favorite old players in all the time.  The difference here is the coach has never been in the NFL before, so he brought in a player who is a hard worker, will do anything the coach asks & is among the coach's favorite former players.  

The Bills have a history of doing this as well.  Think of all the ex-Panthers McDermott has brought in.  For us older guys think back to the late 70s & early 80s when Chuck Knox brought a bunch of ex-Rams to Orchard Park.  

Will those who have waxed poetic upthread about Tebow taking up a roster spot (from some as yet unknown but more deserving candidate), care to opine on how the freshly signed as TE Kelvin Benjamin somehow also occupies an NFL roster spot despite Tebow’s selfishness? 🤔

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I’m actually happy for Tebow, I’m not trying to bring anyone down. It’s just clear that Meyer is doing Tebow a favor by giving him a chance. Tebow bust out of the league as a QB, and is now 33 years old. How many guys have returned at a new position after failing as an NFL QB. A 33 year old former QB learning to play TE doesn’t seem very practical. I also have no issue with his attempt at minor league baseball. I just think it’s disingenuous to say he was a AAA level player. The Mets needed publicity, and Urban Meyer thinks he’s an asset. There’s nothing inherently wrong with those things, but I also think it’s fair to point them out. 

• Like (+1) 2

IF Tebow makes the team and actually plays, I’m assuming it’ll be as QB or maybe RB in an RPO situation.  Short yardage and goalline. 

would anyone be shocked if he actually had some success in that role?  The dude has proven he knows how to get a couple tough yards when necessary.

I picked-up my son from college this past weekend.  We've been playing Madden once a day since then.  He told me he can't wait to download the latest rosters with Tebow at TE.  I laughed.

The funny thing is he wasn't a football fan when Timmy was last in the league, not that it would have registered much since he was 9.  But he knows who he is now.  

11 minutes ago, Chuck Schick said:

IF Tebow makes the team and actually plays, I’m assuming it’ll be as QB or maybe RB in an RPO situation.  Short yardage and goalline. 

would anyone be shocked if he actually had some success in that role?  The dude has proven he knows how to get a couple tough yards when necessary.

Not sure why they’d ever put in Tebow over Lawrence.  Lawrence is more than capable of running RPO’s.  Jags might as well invite Kaepernick to training camp too.  Apparently Meyer enjoys the circus.  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow, well appears he still has many fans....lol would be a shame if he gets cut after all those ppl spent all that $$ on his merchandise. Although some wouldn't care and would be collectible to them or whatnot. But anyways....

• Agree 1