Urban just can’t quit Tebow! (Update - Cut by Jags)

Just now, Boxcar said:

Probably to their benefit, considering the Jags are awful, and seem to be run by idiots.

You're placing blame in the wrong places. You're absolutely right, Tim Tebow being signed as a TE after being out of football for so long and never having played the position is ridiculous. Ultimately, that's what the Jaguars decided to do, whether it's because of his work ethic, locker room presence, or because they are stupid morons (likely). If you're blaming Tebow for wanting to play in the NFL, idk what to tell you. He's not the one who decides if he gets signed or not.

Who, developmentally, did Tebow hurt with the Mets? Some org guy? Every team at every level has 30+ year old guys there who basically act as filler, from short season to AAA. Tebow was basically just a more notable version. Again, the Mets decided to try him. He showed some pop, they figured, why not? Worst case, he sucks and they eventually cut ties with little risk.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would be upset with Tebow for trying to do whatever he can to elongate his career in pro sports. It's not like the Mets signed him as their starting LF. He had to start in low A. Here, he's basically a long shot in training camp on a ***** team. Where's the harm?

He never showed pop during his charade with the Mets.  He sucked from day one.  Not quite Michael Jordan bad, but damn close.

He's not trying to elongate his career.  He is selfishly blocking others' opportunities because he craves the attention and is getting paid to generate buzz for the team (Mets and Jags).

I think most former players have more pride than that and know when it's over/when to give others a chance to make their mark.

He's not a long shot.  He's a no shot.  Everyone, including him and Urban Meyer, knows that.

12 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Don’t get me wrong, I am a Bills fan above even the Buckeyes, so I hope the Bills beat them this year. I am impressed with Urbans track record, and after reading his autobiography I appreciate why he has been successful. He believes in personal accountability, not excuses or blaming others , and I suspect McD has similar traits. Football is a team sport more than any other and we are seeing te benefits of a good culture in Buffalo and Jax has been struggling for the same time period. Just as the Pegulas struggled until they hit the right combination, the Jax owner has been lost from a football standpoint. He is good at developing real estate, expanding the NFL’s reach to London etc, but he has been a dismal failure understanding NFL football team culture. (If flaming out, or difficulty  in dealing with the owner is what’s frustrating, I would get that. Yet Urban has dealt with boards, athletic directors, conference and NCAA commissioners etc before)  I live in a small suburb of Jax, Ponte vedra, but my medical practice involved all the hospitals in Jax. Jax was a real redneck area before they got a big boost from the JaGS/NFL, and now have attracted medical powerhouses like MAYO and MD ANDERSON.  So I would like to see the NFL stay and only based on what I’ve seen and read about Urban, I think the owner here may finally be willing to give more control to someone like him. 

I’m sure he will need to adjust, but I don’t see him quitting before developing a winner like he has in his prior stops. Urban is an Ohio guy, was born at the Toledo hospital I did my residency at, and being a small town Ohio guy I can have some empathy for him as he is up against a huge challenge.  I was lucky enough to be around the initial Jacksonville ownership group ( one of the leaders was a chain smoking cardiologist good ol’ boy who cut me a great deal in his building where I built my first office at) who finally convinced Wayne Weaver to be the big money and final piece landing  the Jags here in Jax, so I’ve seen a lot with a little inside view from the beginning down here. This community will never be great supporters like in Buffalo , or Pittsburgh because most people ,like myself, grew up as fans of other teams long before the Jags existed, yet I have watched the area benefit since the NFL arrived.  If someone like Urban can’t get this thing back on track, then there may not be much hope for the Jags long term in Jax.   

I appreciate your knowledge of all things Buckeye , yet I don’t see how someone could accurately tell you  he is struggling ( I’m sure he is a harsh self critic) at this point. He has a Franchise QB, by most accounts they did well with the draft, and haven’t lost any games yet! What exactly do people mean by saying he will “ flame out”? To me that means walking away or never having a winning season before quitting. Given his history, that seems unlikely.  It’s going to be a struggle ( see all the coaches after coughlin here in Jax), it’s the NFL  & not the Big Ten so change will take some seasons like it did in Buffalo. No re- loading year to year in the NFL like he did in college, so that will be a different struggle, or just normal NFL life. Urban seems like he has readjusted his priorities in life according to his writing, so I am just rooting for him as a fellow Ohioan, and human being. It would be a good story about second chances in life, and maybe the last shot Jax has to keep progressing as a community culturally should they lose the NFL.  It’s a human interest story for me and small facets of it have intertwined with my own 63 year story. My love of the Bills will always win out over anything the Jags do to share my attention!  Thx for the info, greatly respect your knowledge , and always glad to hear more if you feel like sharing!  I think there are a lot of haters out there, probably some scorned Gator or Buckeye alumni who are hoping he fails, plus all those jealous people from up north! 😀😂

I don’t dislike him because I’m jealous.  I don’t dislike him because I’m a scorned fan.  Believe it or not, there are other reasons to dislike him.  

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

He never showed pop during his charade with the Mets.  He sucked from day one.  Not quite Michael Jordan bad, but damn close.

He's not trying to elongate his career.  He is selfishly blocking others' opportunities because he craves the attention and is getting paid to generate buzz for the team (Mets and Jags).

I think most former players have more pride than that and know when it's over/when to give others a chance to make their mark.

He's not a long shot.  He's a no shot.  Everyone, including him and Urban Meyer, knows that.

So who cares?! If you really think that Tim freaking Tebow is going to be taking opportunities away from actual good NFL calibre tight ends, I dunno what to tell you.

Obviously, you have your opinion, and I'm not sure what he did to you. Whatever, I guess.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It doesn’t matter what Tebow’s objectives are. How can you fault a person who is trying to play, whether you think it’s legitimate or not is irrelevant. It isn’t your team, it isn’t your league. Pegula could hire Barney the dinosaur as our LT, and there isn’t a damn thing anyone here could do about other than not to be financially engaged with the product. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It doesn’t matter what Tebow’s objectives are. How can you fault a person who is trying to play, whether you think it’s legitimate or not is irrelevant. It isn’t your team, it isn’t your league. Pegula could hire Barney the dinosaur as our LT, and there isn’t a damn thing anyone here could do about other than not to be financially engaged with the product. 

Barney might do better than Ford, so I'd be okay with kicking those tires.

I just don't like Tim Tebow as a person.  That's all this is about.  He hasn't been good at anything since he left college.  He needs to go the hell away.  He's not a professional athlete in any sport.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I just don't like Tim Tebow as a person.  That's all this is about.  He hasn't been good at anything since he left college.  He needs to go the hell away.  He's not a professional athlete in any sport.

Which is fine, you are entitled to your opinion regardless how any of us feel about it. You can be mad, I’m not going to stop you. All I’m saying is there is nothing we can do about it. We can be mad all we want. It isn’t our team. We are merely spectators, and all we can do is boycott. I personally have no qualms towards Tebow. 

• Like (+1) 1

Apparently Tebow has enough social currency to convince some team’s management to give him a shot. I can’t fault anyone from doing anything they can to be employed. 

I mean we had a special TE here that had enough social currency to keep him around lol 

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

My issue is the fact that Tebow has done nothing to earn all of these opportunities. He’s a 33 year old QB bust who was given the chance to play AAA baseball, and now play TE in the NFL. The dude hadn’t played baseball since high school, and didn’t even earn the right to go up to AAA. He’s never shown that he’s a good pro athlete, and is the only dude in the world who’d be given this chance. 

He started in single A ball like any other long shot. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tebow

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

One of the greatest college football players ever 🤬

Dedicates much of his free time to helping out impoverished people in third world countries 🤬🤬

Fights against human trafficking 🤬🤬🤬

Hosts a worldwide event for high schoolers with special needs 🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Dedicates much of his free time to helping out impoverished people in third world countries 🤬🤬

Associates with Robert Jeffress ... until he gets caught.  🙂

I don't know why some people are so up in arms over this. He may not make it out of the preseason on the roster. They are allowed to have 90 players going into it, right? How many guys do a lot of teams have on their roster right now that we all pretty much know are not going to make it? He was a good athlete, though now a bit long in the tooth at 33. Even still, his body hasn't taken the punishment of a typical 33 year old football player. Who knows, he may surprise some people. Or he may not. Either way, who actually cares?

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

He started in single A ball like any other long shot. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tebow

True, but he didn’t earn a spot in AAA. The Mets used him to generate interest. I really don’t care, it’s just clear that Tebow gets opportunities few other athletes are granted. I’m not upset by Tebow living his life, but I also don’t understand why some are offended by others pointing out the fact Tebow hasn’t really earned any of this. I’m willing to listen when Tebow becomes a productive tight end. I’m also willing to admit I’m wrong at that point. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Michael Jordan was a better baseball player than Tim Tebow. Didn't Terry Francona manage him and said he would have made the majors? Nor as a star, or every day player, but he would have been worth an MLB roster spot with more time. Fortunately for me as a Bulls fan, he decided to come back to the NBA instead.

31 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

True, but he didn’t earn a spot in AAA. The Mets used him to generate interest. I really don’t care, it’s just clear that Tebow gets opportunities few other athletes are granted. I’m not upset by Tebow living his life, but I also don’t understand why some are offended by others pointing out the fact Tebow hasn’t really earned any of this. I’m willing to listen when Tebow becomes a productive tight end. I’m also willing to admit I’m wrong at that point. 

Debating the merits of his roster spot are open game.  The personal attacks are pretty disgusting. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

And then there’s Kaep…. still waiting. :)