Urban just can’t quit Tebow! (Update - Cut by Jags)

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

His dream was over years ago.  Now he's just a carnival act, getting paid to sell merch and put butts in seats while the games don't count- to the detriment of actual aspiring pro football and baseball players. He's a selfish prick and always has been.

C’mon Gugs, that’s just objectively wrong. You don’t even need to like the guy to appreciate what his foundation is helping to combat in this world and the very real lives he’s helped touch for good and support along the way. 

https://www.timtebowfoundation.org/ministries/anti-human-trafficking

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

C’mon Gugs, that’s just objectively wrong. You don’t even need to like the guy to appreciate what his foundation is helping to combat in this world and the very real lives he’s helped touch for good and support along the way. 

Perhaps you didn't see his link to Robert Jeffress.  Good people do bad things, just like bad people do good things.  He's a scumbag.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Perhaps you didn't see his link to Robert Jeffress.  Good people do bad things, just like bad people do good things.  He's a scumbag.

Again, he’s objectively not that, based on his actions for good. But if you want to cancel him because you disagree with a random speaking engagement venue, that’s your prerogative. I’m not hating on you, I’m just telling you that taking the measure of a man means taking in the big picture, and on balance it’s really difficult to find fault with what he’s accomplished off the field. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

One of the insiders on the Buckeye site I pay way too much money for said things are not going well so far at all for Urban in Jax. Take it for what it’s worth but this guy knows a lot about the situation down there and sees him flaming out. You seem excited so I hope he’s wrong. I personally only care about beating them this season. 

Don’t get me wrong, I am a Bills fan above even the Buckeyes, so I hope the Bills beat them this year. I am impressed with Urbans track record, and after reading his autobiography I appreciate why he has been successful. He believes in personal accountability, not excuses or blaming others , and I suspect McD has similar traits. Football is a team sport more than any other and we are seeing te benefits of a good culture in Buffalo and Jax has been struggling for the same time period. Just as the Pegulas struggled until they hit the right combination, the Jax owner has been lost from a football standpoint. He is good at developing real estate, expanding the NFL’s reach to London etc, but he has been a dismal failure understanding NFL football team culture. (If flaming out, or difficulty  in dealing with the owner is what’s frustrating, I would get that. Yet Urban has dealt with boards, athletic directors, conference and NCAA commissioners etc before)  I live in a small suburb of Jax, Ponte vedra, but my medical practice involved all the hospitals in Jax. Jax was a real redneck area before they got a big boost from the JaGS/NFL, and now have attracted medical powerhouses like MAYO and MD ANDERSON.  So I would like to see the NFL stay and only based on what I’ve seen and read about Urban, I think the owner here may finally be willing to give more control to someone like him. 

I’m sure he will need to adjust, but I don’t see him quitting before developing a winner like he has in his prior stops. Urban is an Ohio guy, was born at the Toledo hospital I did my residency at, and being a small town Ohio guy I can have some empathy for him as he is up against a huge challenge.  I was lucky enough to be around the initial Jacksonville ownership group ( one of the leaders was a chain smoking cardiologist good ol’ boy who cut me a great deal in his building where I built my first office at) who finally convinced Wayne Weaver to be the big money and final piece landing  the Jags here in Jax, so I’ve seen a lot with a little inside view from the beginning down here. This community will never be great supporters like in Buffalo , or Pittsburgh because most people ,like myself, grew up as fans of other teams long before the Jags existed, yet I have watched the area benefit since the NFL arrived.  If someone like Urban can’t get this thing back on track, then there may not be much hope for the Jags long term in Jax.   

I appreciate your knowledge of all things Buckeye , yet I don’t see how someone could accurately tell you  he is struggling ( I’m sure he is a harsh self critic) at this point. He has a Franchise QB, by most accounts they did well with the draft, and haven’t lost any games yet! What exactly do people mean by saying he will “ flame out”? To me that means walking away or never having a winning season before quitting. Given his history, that seems unlikely.  It’s going to be a struggle ( see all the coaches after coughlin here in Jax), it’s the NFL  & not the Big Ten so change will take some seasons like it did in Buffalo. No re- loading year to year in the NFL like he did in college, so that will be a different struggle, or just normal NFL life. Urban seems like he has readjusted his priorities in life according to his writing, so I am just rooting for him as a fellow Ohioan, and human being. It would be a good story about second chances in life, and maybe the last shot Jax has to keep progressing as a community culturally should they lose the NFL.  It’s a human interest story for me and small facets of it have intertwined with my own 63 year story. My love of the Bills will always win out over anything the Jags do to share my attention!  Thx for the info, greatly respect your knowledge , and always glad to hear more if you feel like sharing!  I think there are a lot of haters out there, probably some scorned Gator or Buckeye alumni who are hoping he fails, plus all those jealous people from up north! 😀😂

9 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

He also does Night to Shine, providing a prom experience for special needs kids all over the world.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

My issue is the fact that Tebow has done nothing to earn all of these opportunities. He’s a 33 year old QB bust who was given the chance to play AAA baseball, and now play TE in the NFL. The dude hadn’t played baseball since high school, and didn’t even earn the right to go up to AAA. He’s never shown that he’s a good pro athlete, and is the only dude in the world who’d be given this chance. 

9 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Don’t get me wrong, I am a Bills fan above even the Buckeyes, so I hope the Bills beat them this year. I am impressed with Urbans track record, and after reading his autobiography I appreciate why he has been successful. He believes in personal accountability, not excuses or blaming others , and I suspect McD has similar traits. Football is a team sport more than any other and we are seeing te benefits of a good culture in Buffalo and Jax has been struggling for the same time period. Just as the Pegulas struggled until they hit the right combination, the Jax owner has been lost from a football standpoint. He is good at developing real estate, expanding the NFL’s reach to London etc, but he has been a dismal failure understanding NFL football team culture. (If flaming out, or difficulty  in dealing with the owner is what’s frustrating, I would get that. Yet Urban has dealt with boards, athletic directors, conference and NCAA commissioners etc before)  I live in a small suburb of Jax, Ponte vedra, but my medical practice involved all the hospitals in Jax. Jax was a real redneck area before they got a big boost from the JaGS/NFL, and now have attracted medical powerhouses like MAYO and MD ANDERSON.  So I would like to see the NFL stay and only based on what I’ve seen and read about Urban, I think the owner here may finally be willing to give more control to someone like him. 

I’m sure he will need to adjust, but I don’t see him quitting before developing a winner like he has in his prior stops. Urban is an Ohio guy, was born at the Toledo hospital I did my residency at, and being a small town Ohio guy I can have some empathy for him as he is up against a huge challenge.  I was lucky enough to be around the initial Jacksonville ownership group ( one of the leaders was a chain smoking cardiologist good ol’ boy who cut me a great deal in his building where I built my first office at) who finally convinced Wayne Weaver to be the big money and final piece landing  the Jags here in Jax, so I’ve seen a lot with a little inside view from the beginning down here. This community will never be great supporters like in Buffalo , or Pittsburgh because most people ,like myself, grew up as fans of other teams long before the Jags existed, yet I have watched the area benefit since the NFL arrived.  If someone like Urban can’t get this thing back on track, then there may not be much hope for the Jags long term in Jax.   

I appreciate your knowledge of all things Buckeye , yet I don’t see how someone could accurately tell you  he is struggling ( I’m sure he is a harsh self critic) at this point. He has a Franchise QB, by most accounts they did well with the draft, and haven’t lost any games yet! What exactly do people mean by saying he will “ flame out”? To me that means walking away or never having a winning season before quitting. Given his history, that seems unlikely.  It’s going to be a struggle ( see all the coaches after coughlin here in Jax), it’s the NFL  & not the Big Ten so change will take some seasons like it did in Buffalo. No re- loading year to year in the NFL like he did in college, so that will be a different struggle, or just normal NFL life. Urban seems like he has readjusted his priorities in life according to his writing, so I am just rooting for him as a fellow Ohioan, and human being. It would be a good story about second chances in life, and maybe the last shot Jax has to keep progressing as a community culturally should they lose the NFL.  It’s a human interest story for me and small facets of it have intertwined with my own 63 year story. My love of the Bills will always win out over anything the Jags do to share my attention!  Thx for the info, greatly respect your knowledge , and always glad to hear more if you feel like sharing!  I think there are a lot of haters out there, probably some scorned Gator or Buckeye alumni who are hoping he fails, plus all those jealous people from up north! 😀😂

I haven’t seen, met or heard any Buckeye fans who hope he fails or feel scorned. Maybe if he had gone to another big college program that would compete in recruiting or on the field with Ohio state, but not this. He’s revered in Columbus and by Buckeye fans in general. He’s opening his second restaurant here on Saturday. His son in law is the QB coach at OSU.  He’s still attached to the program. It’s his oldest daughter’s livelihood. It’s why he took one of “his guys” with him to Jax from Ohio state , he didn’t want to hurt the program. People love him for that. And naturally Buckeye fans are VERY happy with the Ryan Day era so that helps too. I can’t speak for Florida fans, I know things didn’t end well there and there was a lot of bitterness there. As you know that was not the case here and though I was never a huge urban fan myself, I respect his program building and recruiting prowess  in particular.

regardless the insider isn’t just a Buckeye “fan” so to speak, he’s a recruiting insider by trade with a ton of connections. He tells it like he hears it and knows it. Does not sugar coat. Concisely, he said —. People in the organization don't like him.he’s also hearing that there is trouble with the GM which doesn't surprise him. The strength coach deal was a disaster. Signing Tebow is stupid. If he takes a roster spot from a real player the guys on that team won't like it. I'm not going to be surprised if he flames out. —-

He’s extremely hard to work for but people do it because he wins. They see a path for themselves hitching to him. If that path dissolves, it’s not worth it. If they aren’t winning, his approach is just going to wear on people more. He swings a huge stick and that can work on college where he’s respected and proven. That doesn’t work where he’s unproven. The only two people he knows who actually liked working for him are Chris ash and a player who is on the insider board who also coached for him briefly... now THAT guy thinks everything urban does walks on water and he’s very close to the family so never says a negative thing. He thinks he will be great. So there you go. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

58 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

My issue is the fact that Tebow has done nothing to earn all of these opportunities. He’s a 33 year old QB bust who was given the chance to play AAA baseball, and now play TE in the NFL. The dude hadn’t played baseball since high school, and didn’t even earn the right to go up to AAA. He’s never shown that he’s a good pro athlete, and is the only dude in the world who’d be given this chance. 

Except it's entirely reasonable to think Tebow is the type of locker room presence the new FO is looking for.  And Tebow's work ethic and attitude is what they want to instill in the development of their young team.

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Except it's entirely reasonable to think Tebow is the type of locker room presence the new FO is looking for.  And Tebow's work ethic and attitude is what they want to instill in the development of their young team.

I have no issues with Tebow as a person but I think nfl vets would respect a locker room presence who displays the work ethic, attitude, culture, practice habits expected by urban if this player had actually played in the NFL currently or exec recently. There is already backlash from players wondering why he’s getting this chance when he’s never played the position at any level or grinded in the league for nearly a decade. He would have been better off trading for one of his old players who could help build the culture he wants. This was unnecessary on many levels. But he gets his team talked about and Shaka khan gets his gator fans on board. Truly, he should have just hired him as a coach or consultant.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have no issues with Tebow as a person but I think nfl vets would respect a locker room presence who displays the work ethic, attitude, culture, practice habits expected by urban if this player had actually played in the NFL currently or exec recently. There is already backlash from players wondering why he’s getting this chance when he’s never played the position at any level or grinded in the league for nearly a decade. He would have been better off trading for one of his old players who could help build the culture he wants. This was unnecessary on many levels. But he gets his team talked about and Shaka khan gets his gator fans on board. Truly, he should have just hired him as a coach or consultant.

I fully agree, this isn’t about Tebow the person, it’s about being the type of move a bad franchise makes. Tebow as a TE provides nothing from a football prospective. It’s a move that could lose a team. There’s no worse culture in any workplace than one that demonstrates no need to earn your position. I wouldn’t aspire to running my franchise/team like the NY Mets, who were the only baseball team that would have made Tebow AAA player. I just struggle understanding what football related positive comes from this. 

14 hours ago, Gugny said:

His dream was over years ago.  Now he's just a carnival act, getting paid to sell merch and put butts in seats while the games don't count- to the detriment of actual aspiring pro football and baseball players. He's a selfish prick and always has been.

Is this a joke? How does ONE guy affect aspiring players? If a player is good enough, he plays. His fate has nothing to do with Tebow.

Is there an age limit for when it's mandatory to give up? Your stance is so ridiculous.

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

He also does Night to Shine, providing a prom experience for special needs kids all over the world.    

Wow, what a self centered douche

1 minute ago, Boxcar said:

Is this a joke? How does ONE guy affect aspiring players? If a player is good enough, he plays. His fate has nothing to do with Tebow.

Is there an age limit for when it's mandatory to give up? Your stance is so ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is that people actually thought the Mets "invited him to training camp," because he was really a legitimate prospect.  What's more ridiculous is that people actually believe that Urban Meyer thinks Tebow, who's been out of the NFL for NINE YEARS and has never played TE, is a legitimate prospect.

He's a sideshow.  And his presence is absolutely keeping a REAL football player from being there.

• Agree 3

Just now, Gugny said:

What's ridiculous is that people actually thought the Mets "invited him to training camp," because he was really a legitimate prospect.  What's more ridiculous is that people actually believe that Urban Meyer thinks Tebow, who's been out of the NFL for NINE YEARS and has never played TE, is a legitimate prospect.

He's a sideshow.  And his presence is absolutely keeping a REAL football player from being there.

Probably to their benefit, considering the Jags are awful, and seem to be run by idiots.

You're placing blame in the wrong places. You're absolutely right, Tim Tebow being signed as a TE after being out of football for so long and never having played the position is ridiculous. Ultimately, that's what the Jaguars decided to do, whether it's because of his work ethic, locker room presence, or because they are stupid morons (likely). If you're blaming Tebow for wanting to play in the NFL, idk what to tell you. He's not the one who decides if he gets signed or not.

Who, developmentally, did Tebow hurt with the Mets? Some org guy? Every team at every level has 30+ year old guys there who basically act as filler, from short season to AAA. Tebow was basically just a more notable version. Again, the Mets decided to try him. He showed some pop, they figured, why not? Worst case, he sucks and they eventually cut ties with little risk.

I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would be upset with Tebow for trying to do whatever he can to elongate his career in pro sports. It's not like the Mets signed him as their starting LF. He had to start in low A. Here, he's basically a long shot in training camp on a ***** team. Where's the harm?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2