Urban just can’t quit Tebow! (Update - Cut by Jags)

2 hours ago, H2o said:

I don't know why some people are so up in arms over this. He may not make it out of the preseason on the roster. They are allowed to have 90 players going into it, right? How many guys do a lot of teams have on their roster right now that we all pretty much know are not going to make it? He was a good athlete, though now a bit long in the tooth at 33. Even still, his body hasn't taken the punishment of a typical 33 year old football player. Who knows, he may surprise some people. Or he may not. Either way, who actually cares?

Agree he’s fighting for a back up TE role on a bad team. Has great leadership qualities that his former coach likely thinks are valuable. That is it, oh forgot. He is religious and does good things for others. If he doesn’t help the team win he will get cut. 

22 hours ago, klos63 said:

He's an entitled opportunist, in my opinion. That's what I dislike about him. I don't hate him personally, but just don't trust people like him.

I don't think Kaep was attempting to be controversial, as he quietly knelt a few games before someone made an issue of it. If he wanted controversy, he would have spoke up before his first time kneeling. I'm sure he understood that it likely would be controversial, but not sure he was looking for it.

I don't remember the Ray Lewis deal, but I disliked him since he was involved in that murder in Atlanta and helped cover it up. It was terrible that he got a job broadcasting after he retired.

He's obviously a tremendous athlete, but are there better options out there for the position he's trying to win? Of course there is.

Kaepernick was looking for attention and he got what he wanted. He knew what he is doing and knew that people would be outraged by it.

If he wasn't looking to be controversial by kneeling during the playing of the national anthem, then he certainly was when he was wearing the pig socks.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

He never showed pop during his charade with the Mets.  He sucked from day one.  Not quite Michael Jordan bad, but damn close.

He's not trying to elongate his career.  He is selfishly blocking others' opportunities because he craves the attention and is getting paid to generate buzz for the team (Mets and Jags).

I think most former players have more pride than that and know when it's over/when to give others a chance to make their mark.

He's not a long shot.  He's a no shot.  Everyone, including him and Urban Meyer, knows that.

This is on Meyer. I do not think Tebow is being selfish so much. Taking an opportunity perhaps?
Urban looks like the fool imho

5 hours ago, Boxcar said:

So who cares?! If you really think that Tim freaking Tebow is going to be taking opportunities away from actual good NFL calibre tight ends, I dunno what to tell you.

Obviously, you have your opinion, and I'm not sure what he did to you. Whatever, I guess.

Its a Mets thing   :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Kaepernick was looking for attention and he got what he wanted. He knew what he is doing and knew that people would be outraged by it.

If he wasn't looking to be controversial by kneeling during the playing of the national anthem, then he certainly was when he was wearing the pig socks.

He wore the socks once. And that was being polite to some of the cops out there.  I think if he was looking for controversy, he would have said something about his actions instead of going a few weeks before someone made it an issue. 

I'm sure he was looking for attention, but being black, he should have assumed it would be controversial.  Even though quietly kneeling for 30 seconds hardly sounds controversial.

36 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Now Tebow will try to go back to U of Florida.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He wore the socks once. And that was being polite to some of the cops out there.  I think if he was looking for controversy, he would have said something about his actions instead of going a few weeks before someone made it an issue. 

I'm sure he was looking for attention, but being black, he should have assumed it would be controversial.  Even though quietly kneeling for 30 seconds hardly sounds controversial.

Wearing the socks once was enough. Same thing goes for him wearing the Castro shirt. He knew it would put him in the spotlight.

Kaepernick succeeded in getting himself attention. I still have yet to see him do anything meaningful to bring any change.

To this day I have not seen Kaepernick do anything to really help fix the problems he's concerned with. Yeah, he's given to charities and he gives speeches, but what about meeting with city, state, and federal officials on this matter?

Something that really counts.

Kneeling doesn't change a thing.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

Wearing the socks once was enough. Same thing goes for him wearing the Castro shirt. He knew it would put him in the spotlight.

Kaepernick succeeded in getting himself attention. I still have yet to see him do anything meaningful to bring any change.

To this day I have not seen Kaepernick do anything to really help fix the problems he's concerned with. Yeah, he's given to charities and he gives speeches, but what about meeting with city, state, and federal officials on this matter?

Giving millions doesn't count. Jesus christ.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Giving millions doesn't count. Jesus christ.  

I live in California, year after year this state pours millions and millions into our schools and infrastructure and battling against pollution.

Despite that, very little to nothing gets accomplished.

Money alone, does not solve the problem, and will not solve this problem.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

We can only do what we can, right? Is it within Kaep's wheelhouse to be talking to officials? Or is he leaving that part of it in better hands? Honest question because I don't know.

Does Tebow talk to officials? Did Tebow's kneeling change anything?

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

We can only do what we can, right? Is it within Kaep's wheelhouse to be talking to officials? Or is he leaving that part of it in better hands? Honest question because I don't know.

Yes, we can only do what we can. That being said, Kaepernick has a much bigger platform than most people do.

Is it within Kaepernick's wheelhouse? Absolutely! He brought the attention to this issue, did he not? Does he really want things to change and get better for people in the black community? Talking to officials or leaders in communities, people with real clout would show leadership.

Reaching out to leaders in the cities and states and communicating with chiefs of police to discuss the problems in these communities would go a long ways in attempting to bring change.

President Trump invited Kaepernick to the White House to discuss these issues, and Kaepernick turned him down.

Even if he had accepted Trump's offer and nothing positive came of it, the attempt to discuss the issues with him, would have spoke volumes to me and I think many other people, but he didn't.

Which makes me wonder, does Kaepernick really want things to change in the black community?

Leaving it in better hands? To me that would be a cop out(no pun intended). Don't start what you can't finish, and don't leave all the heavy lifting to those who support you.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Does Tebow talk to officials? Did Tebow's kneeling change anything?

I don't know if Tebow does this or not.

The only thing that came from Tebow's kneeling was anger and rage from anti-religious boors.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Yes, we can only do what we can. That being said, Kaepernick has a much bigger platform than most people do.

Is it within Kaepernick's wheelhouse? Absolutely! He brought the attention to this issue, did he not? Does he really want things to change and get better for people in the black community? Talking to officials or leaders in communities, people with real clout would show leadership.

Reaching out to leaders in the cities and states and communicating with chiefs of police to discuss the problems in these communities would go a long ways in attempting to bring change.

President Trump invited Kaepernick to the White House to discuss these issues, and Kaepernick turned him down.

Even if he had accepted Trump's offer and nothing positive came of it, the attempt to discuss the issues with him, would have spoke volumes to me and I think many other people, but he didn't.

Which makes me wonder, does Kaepernick really want things to change in the black community?

Leaving it in better hands? To me that would be a cop out(no pun intended). Don't start what you can't finish, and don't leave all the heavy lifting to those who support you.

The only thing that came from Tebow's kneeling was anger and rage from anti-religious boors.

A lot of people protest without doing much more else towards the cause. Honest people know their limits. Your assertion of what someone else should or should not do seems hypocritical.

That's not the only thing that came from Tebow's kneeling. Both acts of kneeling caused a wide range of reactions for different reasons. It's kind of interesting, to me at least, to consider the act and its different meanings when comparing the situations of these two players.

9 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

A lot of people protest without doing much more else towards the cause. Honest people know their limits. Your assertion of what someone else should or should not do seems hypocritical.

That's not the only thing that came from Tebow's kneeling. Both acts of kneeling caused a wide range of reactions for different reasons. It's kind of interesting, to me at least, to consider the act and its different meanings when comparing the situations of these two players.

Hypocritical in what way?

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Former President Trump inviting Kaepernick to discuss race relations is right up there with Rodman meeting Kim Jong Un to discuss world peace.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofLeonLett

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Former President Trump inviting Kaepernick to discuss race relations is right up there with Rodman meeting Kim Jong Un to discuss world peace.

As I said, the act alone would have shown Kaepernick's willingness to discuss matters with an authority figure.

You may not like the person or people you are working with, but if you can find common ground on an issue and get to work on negotiating said issues, that would be progress, and would show leadership. 

Kaepernick chose not to do any of this. Which makes me wonder just how much he really wants things to change.

On 5/11/2021 at 11:15 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I haven’t seen, met or heard any Buckeye fans who hope he fails or feel scorned. Maybe if he had gone to another big college program that would compete in recruiting or on the field with Ohio state, but not this. He’s revered in Columbus and by Buckeye fans in general. He’s opening his second restaurant here on Saturday. His son in law is the QB coach at OSU.  He’s still attached to the program. It’s his oldest daughter’s livelihood. It’s why he took one of “his guys” with him to Jax from Ohio state , he didn’t want to hurt the program. People love him for that. And naturally Buckeye fans are VERY happy with the Ryan Day era so that helps too. I can’t speak for Florida fans, I know things didn’t end well there and there was a lot of bitterness there. As you know that was not the case here and though I was never a huge urban fan myself, I respect his program building and recruiting prowess  in particular.

regardless the insider isn’t just a Buckeye “fan” so to speak, he’s a recruiting insider by trade with a ton of connections. He tells it like he hears it and knows it. Does not sugar coat. Concisely, he said —. People in the organization don't like him.he’s also hearing that there is trouble with the GM which doesn't surprise him. The strength coach deal was a disaster. Signing Tebow is stupid. If he takes a roster spot from a real player the guys on that team won't like it. I'm not going to be surprised if he flames out. —-

He’s extremely hard to work for but people do it because he wins. They see a path for themselves hitching to him. If that path dissolves, it’s not worth it. If they aren’t winning, his approach is just going to wear on people more. He swings a huge stick and that can work on college where he’s respected and proven. That doesn’t work where he’s unproven. The only two people he knows who actually liked working for him are Chris ash and a player who is on the insider board who also coached for him briefly... now THAT guy thinks everything urban does walks on water and he’s very close to the family so never says a negative thing. He thinks he will be great. So there you go. 

Thx for the information. Hey I just listened to the cris collinsworth podcast and he did the whole thing with Urban!  It’s a good listen.  My impressions are this guy has a detailed vision regarding winning in the NFL. He signed Tebow to a 1 year , no guarantee  deal and frankly he may just find a position inthe organization for  him as urban said the assistant coaches were responsible for suggesting Tebow who  , apparently is in phenomenal shape ( funny enough I have watched Tebow as he played HS football at Nease HS here in my hometown of Ponte vedra Fl.; it’s a small world  and while he was not an NFL QB, he is a phenomenal athlete. Urban said he was not present at Tebows workouts so who knows? )  Urban is something like 180-12 , ( 12 -3 bowl game record) as a football coach, so while it’s his initial NFL season, it’s still football and it’s his life long passion. As an analogy , I am board certified in Family practice, a specialty now. However , medicine fields have a lot of overlap so I have done fam practice, run an inpatient eating disorder unit, run a chemical dependacy and rehab unit, worked in ER’s , been a Med director for a workmans Comp organization, and most enjoyably , was. NE Florida Med director for urgent care clinics named Solantic, owned by Senator ( prior governor of Fl ) Rick Scott.( who is an utter ass, criminal , terrible human who I witnessed  fire or not hire people based on body weight. I know lots of bad things about him, but enough people are “fans” who voted for him!).    My point is to a big degree medicine  is medicine and you can adjust to subtleties on the fly! I won’t ever be a NEURO or cardiac surgeon , but any dr can do multiple things if you have passion for it. 

Urban has the expertise , passion, past success, and hey,,,,it is football snd not rocket science or neurosurgery.  He LOOKED RELAXED AND HAPPY during the podcast.  He stated his relationship with the OWNER is good and he is being provided with what he needs. Jax is apparently bottom 5 in the league with soft tissue injuries, so that might explain his bad judgement regarding the strength guy)  I would love to meet or know more about you as I respect your work here , know your Bills passion, know now you are a Columbus, Ohio State person , and I would guess you have had a successful career ( sorry I don’t know more).  Based on that , I would bet you know that when you are as successful As Urban, as a leader his ultimate measurement of success is not based on being liked, it’s about the ROI, how much you win, national titles etc.  It’s rare to reach his level of success without bypassing others, hurting some feelings , and driving a vision he was the architect of which will make enemies along the way! ( hey , Rick Scott hates me and vice versa as I fought against him defrauding Medicare of millions, but ultimately he smeared and stepped on me , and LoL, look who is a rich Fl senator now!). Urban has a vision of team building for success, and all I am saying is I wouldn’t bet against guys like him who have no significant history of failure wherever they coached. 

The other side of the analogy or spectrum as we both know is a guy like REX RYAN!    Guy knew football, but I think we would agree , that was the definition of flaming out!  Fired after only 2 seasons while utilizing nepotism on his way out of the league!   I would argue as a leader it’s better to not be liked by those under you while achieving goals, in contrast to being a popular guy with the press; apparently being liked but ultimately never respected, and in the end having never won any major titles or goals.  If you have time ( 30 min) check out that podcast and afterwards see if you really believe Urban will  “ flame out” like a so called proven NFL coach Ryan actually managed.  While fans may revere Urban , it’s no surprise some working with him will say bad things at times. It’s the nature of getting to be one of only 32 people in the world at a given time with his job title. He has a vision he clearly articulates and I am just saying I bet he has more success than many prior so called NFL coaches. I would be shocked if he leaves the league before becoming a winning coach. It may be too big a task to win a SB here in Jax , but hey , we have had no better success in Buffalo YET, and I bet he ends up with a better final NFL win % than some of the bozos we have had as coaches of the Bills!  😀😊😂

Best wishes Yolo; how great is it to open at home against the Steelers!?  Winning that opener is a big moral boost , esp for us fans. So glad we did not open on the road against Brady as I think our team will need to build up over a few games to challenge Him and his 20 years of Bills dominance!