Urban just can’t quit Tebow! (Update - Cut by Jags)

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

So many have done the exact same thing (coming back to a camp in a last ditch effort to play). What's different about this that people haven't seen before? Unless you're talking about his whole football career....

What's different about Tebow? Star college QB -> poor NFL starter who had a magical run -> left football to try to make it in baseball and started at the very bottom. Advanced to AA? Ultimately didn't make it. -> tries to return to the NFL as Taysom Hill on the wrong side of 30.

Please tell me where you've seen this before, because I haven't.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

What's different about Tebow? Star college QB -> poor NFL starter who had a magical run -> left football to try to make it in baseball and started at the very bottom. Advanced to AA? Ultimately didn't make it. -> tries to return to the NFL as Taysom Hill on the wrong side of 30.

I’ve seen a lot of older players try to make a comeback after being out of football.  But they never seem to get anything more than a try out, if that.  And the only one I recall who tried a position switch at the time of the attempted come back is Kelvin Benjamin.  He tried to go from WR to TE and literally didn’t make it through warm ups in the first practice. 

i’ve said it 100 times.  It’s not Tebow, it’s the throng of rabid supporters who fawn over him and defend him at every turn.  No matter how poor his play or how ridiculous a comeback attempt, it’s the same thing.  His spot on JAC should’ve gone to someone with an outside shot at the roster. I lost respect for Urban Meyer for even bringing him in and creating such a sideshow.  But, hey, they sold some jerseys. 

Edited by BarleyNY

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont see it as desperation at all.   The guy doesnt have to play sports to make money, and he has enough cash not to have to work at all.   He may want to play sports, but he certainly doesnt have to.

Does he really?

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

So many have done the exact same thing (coming back to a camp in a last ditch effort to play). What's different about this that people haven't seen before? Unless you're talking about his whole football career....

Have any of the others publicly supported churches that promote gay conversion therapy? If they have I will add them to the list of people I have zero respect for alongside Tim Tebow.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

So you're talking about his whole career then...

Off the very top of my head, the baseball thing reminds me of Jordan, just different circumstances. But I'm sure there are many examples of players swapping sports. Hogan, too lol, with lacrosse. They just aren't promoted like Jordan or Tebow. You think he made it on baseball skills alone?

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Have any of the others publicly supported churches that promote gay conversion therapy? If they have I will add them to the list of people I have zero respect for alongside Tim Tebow.

Not that I know of.

Tebow did his rounds here at the big churches in Arizona, too. I listened to his sermon and it was just him talking about/promoting himself. People call that "evangelizing" I guess.

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Why all the Tebow hate?  All this guy ever did was want to play football and baseball.  It may have been smoke and mirrors, but he actually won a playoff game as a QB 10 years ago.  By all reports, a good guy and a good teammate, lives clean, so why the hate?  Rae Carruth didn't get this much hate.  I don't understand it.

Yeah, I've never understood it either.

Weird.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boxcar said:

Taysom and Tebow are both great football players

• Haha (+1) 1

The hatred of Tebow is so toxic.  It’s funny how some on Twitter with references to empathy, tolerance, and equality on their profile have not problem bashing Tebow for his religious views.  

Whether you agree with that view or not, he’s regarded as someone with high character that has helped others in need.  Unlike other athletes, no one has ever accused of him or being performative or not genuine. 

The fact that his old college coach gave him an extended tryout should’ve be surprising.  You see nepotism happen all the time in the NFL.  

As far as his playing ability, it’s clear he never had the skill to play QB at a high level.  Watching teams like NO try to use Taysome Hill does make you think that a coach like Sean Payton could’ve found a way to use Heisman Tebow from 2009.

Edited by JohnNord
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Dean said:

It definately is. As is the blind devotion to him, IMO.

There’s way more lot of hate than “blind devotion.”  I don’t think people like Tebow only for his religion.  It’s because he was so likable and fun to watch in college.  

On the other hand, I feel a lot of the hate comes from people who just want to hate on him because he’s open with his religion.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnNord said:

There’s way more lot of hate than “blind devotion.”  I don’t think people like Tebow only for his religion.  It’s because he was so likable and fun to watch in college.  

On the other hand, I feel a lot of the hate comes from people who just want to hate on him because he’s open with his religion.  

Not sure about any of that.. But here in Florida Tebow IS a religion. And make no mistake about it, his public Christianity is one major reason for it. 

IMO his religion shouldn't be a reason to like or dislike him. But that's just me.

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Not sure about any of that.. But here in Florida Tebow IS a religion. And make no mistake about it, his public Christianity is one major reason for it. 

IMO his religion shouldn't be a reason to like or dislike him. But that's just me.

I’ll agree with you on the latter point.  I’m gauging the comments on Twitter - many of which come from performative users who are so concerned about treated others better but still go out of their way to slam Tebow’s.  It just comes off as intolerant and ultimately hypocritical. I guess that’s Twitter though. 

There are plenty of football-related issues that you could knock Tebow for.   His faith shouldn’t be one of them.  

35 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

It is because he aligns himself with religious groups with some pretty toxic views of their own.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

I bought a mango tree that isn't very good just because a nursery rebranded it as the Tebow Mango:wub:

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He personally, no, but he has spoken on platforms and supported events by certain organisations with some pretty distasteful views. 

That’s a hell of a stretch to justify the hatred and vitriol I’ve seen on Twitter

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1