Deep Dive into 3 First Round DE Prospects: Who should we pick?

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

All’s I can say is we’ve now invested significantly in Oliver, Epinesa and Reuasseau. We’d better start seeing some major production from our D Line in 2021. Sack City? 

Wonder if Star in the middle will have an effect?

And s/o to the OP - killed it on this one!

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gordong said:

last year inches young ran 4.94 40 Rousseau ran a 4.68 at his pro day.  NOT slow

If I remember correctly, Chase Young did not run the 40. That was supposedly some time from his high school days. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

If I remember correctly, Chase Young did not run the 40. That was supposedly some time from his high school days. 

regardless 4.68 for a DE is not slow.  AJ ran 5.05

Edited by gordong

1 hour ago, gordong said:

last year #2 pick in the draft chase young ran 4.94 40 Rousseau ran a 4.68 at his pro day.  NOT slow

We can agree to disagree.  I just don't see great burst or closing speed when watching Rousseau.

Again, I'm not complaining about the pick.  Just pointing out my observations.

When you see a guy with his build (tall and skinny), you expect to see tape that resembles Azeez Ojulari.  Constantly beating tackles around the corner with speed.  But when you watch Rousseau, his best production is actually beating Guards inside like a 3-Tech Defensive Tackle.  

Anytime you see a player with odd characteristics, it makes them tough to rank (especially one who hasn't played football in over 12 months).

On 4/29/2021 at 3:05 PM, GunnerBill said:

I agree with all that. It is more a character thing. You haven't played for a year people are going to be looking at how you show up on your pro day you would want to come in the best shape possible, right? It was less how he performed and more how he looked. There were reports he was carrying extra weight and looked sluggish. That makes me think what is he going to do with NFL money in his pocket in the offseason? Will he stay in shape or will he Karlos Williams it? 

I would be pretty happy with him at #30, but that is a legit nagging doubt.

I don't think there was any truth to charecter concerns issues after all, and he wasn't out of shape at the pro day. The gained weight was because he's going to need to play in the 260's in the NFL. 

I wonder how rumors start that make top 15 picks fall to the end of round 1?

Great analysis OP. That got me even more excited about the pick than I already was! Huge upside.

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

But when you watch Rousseau, his best production is actually beating Guards inside like a 3-Tech Defensive Tackle.  

And I’ve also seen him win on the edge. Shouldn’t that versatility be a good thing?

45 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I don't think there was any truth to charecter concerns issues after all, and he wasn't out of shape at the pro day. The gained weight was because he's going to need to play in the 260's in the NFL. 

Hmm. Brandon Beane said they want to get his body fat ratio checked. Not all that extra weight is functional weight. Not a big issue and easily tackled with a pro sports science team working with him.

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm. Brandon Beane said they want to get his body fat ratio checked. Not all that extra weight is functional weight. Not a big issue and easily tackled with a pro sports science team working with him.

My wife keeps complaining about my ‘functional weight’. 😂 I’ll tell her to see the team training staff.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

The only "character" issues I've seen is that the guy took a year off and then showed up to his one and only opportunity to show for that last year's work and didn't exactly wow people. He did *fine*, so I can certainly see people hand-waiving it away as not the biggest deal in the world, but he tested below what most folks expected of him. To me -- that's THE BIGGEST QUESTION that needs answering. 

Us schlubs can only sit back and watch and read, so -- just like injury concerns -- we're at an extreme disadvantage relative to actual NFL teams. I've taken some solace in our relationship with the UM coaching staff, clearly Bean & co. trust Manny Diaz and his staff's word on Rousseau's drive and work ethic. That's really all we can ask for with regards to the "character" stuff. So I guess it all just goes back to trusting the staff?

Obviously "Rouse" has a lot of physical traits to get excited about, and given that he's only played DE for 1 year, still feels as though his upside is pretty immense, but I do think ANY expectations of him doing anything of significance on the field next year are probably optimistic at best.

I'm seeing a pattern with Beane. He just kept adding players to the OL until it was fixed. The OL took a bit of a step back with injuries this year, but the passing game still launched into the stratosphere. He's doing the same thing with the DL. The great thing about the way he is doing it is that most of them are not being paid big money. The contracts for Star, Mitch and Dion are fairly hefty but overall, he's keeping the money spent under control. I think the DL will be markedly improved this year. I think sacks, tackles for a loss, will increase significantly. We needed youth on the DL and I think they are going to let it rip.