49ers tried to trade 3rd overall pick and a bunch of other stuff for Aaron Rodgers, Packers said no

Logic

Shows what they think of Love. 

If you truly believe he is the heir apparent and QB of the future. You take the 3rd overall pick, keep your other 1st round pick, and begin to build around him. Take Kyle Pitts at 3, now you have Adams and Pitts. 

I think them turning this trade down shows they don't think Love is ready.  

To be absolutely fair, I think Rodgers is the best QB to ever grace a football field and he's still currently the best playing. However, if you truly believe Love is your guy, this could set you up for 10 years and not have to deal with Rodgers contract yearly for the next 4-6. 

Edited by warrior9
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

Hm, Maybe try reading it again? Lmao. 

I don't think they should trade Rodgers. 

I did read it again.  What am I missing?  There is zero indication that they intend to trade Rodgers...

1 hour ago, Brennan Huff said:

The Packers should have jumped on it. Then trade the pick to a QB needy team. They drafted Jordan Love last year so obviously they’ve already started the post Rodgers plan. 

That was their thinking a year ago.  Maybe after a year watching Love, they realized he isn't what they hoped.  And so, with a team last year that almost made it to the SB, the Packers have to decide whether to ride Rodgers another season and hope for the best, or step back a bit and let the future come to them.  It's a tough choice, but the key factor is the Packers understanding what they've got with Love.

• Disagree 1

33 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The 49ers don’t have a 1st round pick next year. They traded their 1st in 2022 and 2023 to move up to 3.

Rodgers may be 37 but he’s one of the best in the league. Losing him would take the Packers from being a SB contender to a mediocre team at best. 

Garoppolo is not an exciting replacement either and I doubt the 49ers are willing to part with any of their best players as part of this deal. 

There’s really not much to consider here. 

the dude your opinion GIF

(I forgot about the "no 1st round pick next year" bit. You're probably right overall, but I'll never wave the white flag because I'm a stubborn sonofabitch)

33 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The 49ers don’t have a 1st round pick next year. They traded their 1st in 2022 and 2023 to move up to 3.

Rodgers may be 37 but he’s one of the best in the league. Losing him would take the Packers from being a SB contender to a mediocre team at best. 

Garoppolo is not an exciting replacement either and I doubt the 49ers are willing to part with any of their best players as part of this deal. 

There’s really not much to consider here. 

You are right, and that’s a problem! The Packers haven’t built a Super Bowl caliber team around Rodgers. If you have arguably the best QB ever, and if he’s 37, there needs to be a serious plan in place to either a) win the Super Bowl now, or b), trade him away and use the picks to build for the future. Instead of either of those choices, the Packers have evidently opted for c) use Rodgers’ greatness to elevate an otherwise mediocre team to be almost, but not quite, good enough to win a Super Bowl. Option c is what the Packers have chosen pretty much Rodgers’ whole career. 

2 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

I’m wondering if they can’t trade Jimmy G this weekend are they just going to have him killed? Seems like they really don’t want him on the roster...

I’m certain Bill Belichick knows someone who can take care of that for them...

18 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

so, the packers get a TON of picks, plus Gimmy J, and they said no.  Then why on earth did they draft a QB in the first round last year?  Just Packers are wtf.  

Well to be fair, they didn't know he wouldn't have it when they drafted him.  I think they assumed that they would always just be able to replace one HOF with another, and so on...

3 hours ago, Brennan Huff said:

The Packers should have jumped on it. Then trade the pick to a QB needy team. They drafted Jordan Love last year so obviously they’ve already started the post Rodgers plan. 

Nah, the NFC is ripe fir the taking, good shot at a SB appearance this year with Rodgers, pretty unlikely with Love or Jimmy G.  Also, if they thought love was ready to take them to the promised land, I’m sure it would have been an option, but you are asking them to give up one of the top 3 QBs in the game right now for one of the top 3 QBs (no clue which ones) in this draft,  would you? Not this guy.

I could see Rodgers just retiring and hosting Jeopardy 

He's got plenty of $$ and Green Bay just refuses to actually go for it all, preferring to halfway everything. 

Drafting Love was totally, completely stupid. If Love was a 3rd rounder or less, OK then MAYBE it makes sense. But for a team in the NFC, where there are only a few real contenders, to not use your high picks on playmakers to WIN something now is totally indefensible. 

The plan is to have Love for the QB "in a few years" and they use prime assets to get that guy in when they can't quite seem to get over the NFC Title Game hump?

Drafting Love was guaranteed to anger Rodgers, plus they get nothing for that 1st round pick for years. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Agree 1