49ers tried to trade 3rd overall pick and a bunch of other stuff for Aaron Rodgers, Packers said no

Logic

20 minutes ago, Logic said:

Aaron Rodgers is 37, and his relationship with the team is tenuous. They're not exactly in a happy marriage at the moment.

If the 49ers were offering, say, the 3rd overall pick, next year's 1st and other picks, Garrapolo, and another player or two of worth from their roster...

I'm just saying it would be worth at least taking a moment's pause to consider. Yes, it would hurt them in the next 1-3 years, but it could also potentially set their team up for long term success.

The 49ers can't send next year's 1st. They spent that to get to #3. And the year after that, too.

How do you make that trade??

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Lol what's your point? Or are you trying to help make mine?

They had two of the best QBs in NFL history over a 30 year span. One who is probably top 5. 

And they have two Superbowls to show for it. 

You wondered what they were thinking. I suggested the last time they had a HOF qb and a backup drafted high might be a place to look for answers. Winning super bowls is a team effort, and quite often requires some amount of luck. We're talking about transitioning from a high level qb here.

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Lol what's your point? Or are you trying to help make mine?

They had two of the best QBs in NFL history over a 30 year span. One who is probably top 5. 

And they have two Superbowls to show for it. 

... and 3 losing seasons in 29 years, 3 SB appearances, and 9 conference championship games. They are a great franchise. NE's success skews everyone's outlook. Only Denver and Dallas have 3 SB victories in that same time span. And Dallas hasn't been to even a conference championship game since 1995.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

The 49ers can't send next year's 1st. They spent that to get to #3. And the year after that, too.

How do you make that trade??

Jiminy Crickets, I had already forgotten the details of that trade. THREE 1sts, and not for the #1 or even the #2 overall! Horrible trade. And with the Dolphins no less. Ugh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

If I remember correctly Rodgers signed a second contract before he was a starter.

No, he signed it midway through his first season as a starter.  Which was his fourth in the NFL.

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Would you guys trade Josh Allen to the Jags for the #1 overall pick?  This is a tongue and cheek hypothetical and I feel like having people mad at me for suggesting it.

I might think about it 13 years from now when Josh is 37 :)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Process said:

1. This is hard to believe. Seems like a pretty random guy that's claiming this. 

2. If it's true and the Packers said no, it makes one of the worst picks in history in Love even worse. What the heck is their plan with him? 

I guess best case for the Packers is rodgers gets hurt and has to miss a few games, love lights it up, and they can trade him for a first round pick. 

What a stupid franchise. 

Totally agree, if the Packers truly believe Love is their guy you make this trade without thinking twice.  

1 hour ago, Process said:

1. This is hard to believe. Seems like a pretty random guy that's claiming this. 

2. If it's true and the Packers said no, it makes one of the worst picks in history in Love even worse. What the heck is their plan with him? 

I guess best case for the Packers is rodgers gets hurt and has to miss a few games, love lights it up, and they can trade him for a first round pick. 

What a stupid franchise. 

So you're saying the Packers are a "stupid franchise" based in large part on them turning down a trade offer you don't believe was actually made?  Most illogical...

Packers said "no thanks, we are determined to waste the remainder of Rodgers career."

32 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

I might think about it 13 years from now when Josh is 37 :)

Brady only had 3 SB rings at age 37. 

Josh might just be getting warmed up!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Aaron Rodgers is 37, and his relationship with the team is tenuous. They're not exactly in a happy marriage at the moment.

If the 49ers were offering, say, the 3rd overall pick, next year's 1st and other picks, Garrapolo, and another player or two of worth from their roster...

I'm just saying it would be worth at least taking a moment's pause to consider. Yes, it would hurt them in the next 1-3 years, but it could also potentially set their team up for long term success.

The 49ers don’t have a 1st round pick next year. They traded their 1st in 2022 and 2023 to move up to 3.

Rodgers may be 37 but he’s one of the best in the league. Losing him would take the Packers from being a SB contender to a mediocre team at best. 

Garoppolo is not an exciting replacement either and I doubt the 49ers are willing to part with any of their best players as part of this deal. 

There’s really not much to consider here. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

So you're saying the Packers are a "stupid franchise" based in large part on them turning down a trade offer you don't believe was actually made?  Most illogical...

Hm, Maybe try reading it again? Lmao. 

I don't think they should trade Rodgers.