Kim Jones gets choked up talking about Bills culture on NFL Network

Logic

2 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

I’d add Frank Reich to your list. As the Eagles offensive coordinator he out-coached Bill Belichick in the Super Bowl. He’s done an equally good job as head coach. 

I have Reich in the list that is comparable. If I had Reich I probably wouldn't swap him for McDermott, but equally the same applies the other way around. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

That's about what I was thinking, too.

The one omission that merits discussion is Mike Tomlin. Even though I don't personally like Mike Tomlin very much, it's worth noting that he hasn't had a losing season in 14 years, has a Super Bowl win on his resume, and currently has a better career win percentage than Bill Cowher or Chuck Noll. 

Thanks for adding Tomlin to the list.  I think that with him, the list is complete.  The thing is those guys are all much more experienced.  McDermott sometimes fails at game management, but much less now that he used to.  If he can keep improving himself, that will get sorted.

The overlooked factor in our McBeane love is the contributions of veteran players like Lorax and Kyle Williams.  Once the cancers had been removed, these guys really stepped up and taught the younger guys how to win.  They both deserve to be on the Bills' Wall for what they did at the end of their careers

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

"why I think the Bills aren't going anywhere when it comes to contending"?  lol  

She really didn't sell the "I'm about to cry" hard enough though--I was left wanting more.  She needs to work on that.

I do read your posts sometimes WEO and think you are as stone hearted as I am. I think we are kindred spirits in that sense. Emotions irritate me. 

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

Thanks for adding Tomlin to the list.  I think that with him, the list is complete.  The thing is those guys are all much more experienced.  McDermott sometimes fails at game management, but much less now that he used to.  If he can keep improving himself, that will get sorted.

The overlooked factor in our McBeane love is the contributions of veteran players like Lorax and Kyle Williams.  Once the cancers had been removed, these guys really stepped up and taught the younger guys how to win.  They both deserve to be on the Bills' Wall for what they did at the end of their careers

Tomlin fails at game management plenty too. I think Tomlin might be the best motivator in the league and he is a good developer of talent (again given good talent by a good front office). But I don't think he is a great Xs and Os guy or a great game strategist. His record does speak for itself though. The test for him comes when he doesn't have Big Ben. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do read your posts sometimes WEO and think you are as stone hearted as I am. I think we are kindred spirits in that sense. Emotions irritate me. 

Tomlin fails at game management plenty too. I think Tomlin might be the best motivator in the league and he is a good developer of talent (again given good talent by a good front office). But I don't think he is a great Xs and Os guy or a great game strategist. His record does speak for itself though. The test for him comes when he doesn't have Big Ben. 

Genuine emotion is ok.  Hers was pretty suspect.   Daryl Williams's contract and a player saying the team was like family really put her over the edge!

She was as close to actually crying as Ertz is to being traded to the Bills.  When they re-sign Josh, she will be (almost) completely hysterical...

Cheers!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have Reich in the list that is comparable. If I had Reich I probably wouldn't swap him for McDermott, but equally the same applies the other way around. 

I’d argue that Reich is one of the best X’s and O’s coaches in the NFL, and is superior to McDermott in that aspect. Both McDermott and Reich are very good at providing leadership and at creating a winning culture. 

1 minute ago, Arm of Harm said:

I’d argue that Reich is one of the best X’s and O’s coaches in the NFL, and is superior to McDermott in that aspect. Both McDermott and Reich are very good at providing leadership and at creating a winning culture. 

You'll find out if this is true this year...

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

I disagree. I think McDermott is one of the top 3 defensive Xs and Os guys in the entire NFL. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Genuine emotion is ok.  Hers was pretty suspect.   Daryl Williams's contract and a player saying the team was like family really put her over the edge!

She was as close to actually crying as Ertz is to being traded to the Bills.  When they re-sign Josh, she will be (almost) completely hysterical...

Cheers!

She’s not my type either physically or in terms of personality. As for the latter: hers seems to be a businesswoman personality, or at least that’s how she comes across. By that I mean a woman personality which is logical, confident, and ambitious, but lacking in gentleness, warmth, vulnerability, or nurturing instinct. For someone with a businesswoman personality to seemingly get all choked up over a player’s contract extension does indeed come across as insincere. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Well let's leave the Hoodie aside for obvious reasons.... I think John Harbaugh is the best coach not name Belichick in the league. 13 seasons, 9 playoff years, 1 losing record, and a Superbowl win and his Quarterbacks have been Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson. Commendable players both, but neither is close to an elite guy. Andy Reid will go to the HoF so probably him two great runs with two different franchises. After that.... possibly Sean Payton although I think he should have more than 1 ring with the talent he has had in New Orleans. That might be my list. 

What are your thoughts on Frank Reich?

2 hours ago, Logic said:

That's about what I was thinking, too.

The one omission that merits discussion is Mike Tomlin. Even though I don't personally like Mike Tomlin very much, it's worth noting that he hasn't had a losing season in 14 years, has a Super Bowl win on his resume, and currently has a better career win percentage than Bill Cowher or Chuck Noll. 

The Steelers have to be one of the most stable organizations in sports. Chuck Noll 1969-91, Bill Cowher 1992-06, Mike Tomlin 2007-present. Just 3 head coaches in 52 years, 8 Super Bowl appearances, 6 Lombardi's. 

3 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

She’s not my type either physically or in terms of personality. As for the latter: hers seems to be a businesswoman personality, or at least that’s how she comes across. By that I mean a woman personality which is logical, confident, and ambitious, but lacking in gentleness, warmth, vulnerability, or nurturing instinct. For someone with a businesswoman personality to seemingly get all choked up over a player’s contract extension does indeed come across as insincere. 

Oy vey.

The over-analysis of a 90-second talking head clip in this thread his hilarious.

And what the ***** does the bolded have to do with anything?

Nevermind, I don't even really want to hear an answer.

Jones was emotionally affected because a large, imposing athlete in a sport where brutality and violence and tough guy stoicism are encouraged felt secure and supported enough in his environment to open up and be himself and be vulnerable. EGADS! Sound the alarms! An overly emotional (and maybe insincere, and definitely not some people's cup of tea, appearance-wise) woman is blabbering about vulnerability. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree. I think McDermott is one of the top 3 defensive Xs and Os guys in the entire NFL. 

There are times when he seems that way. I remember a game against the Patriots a year or two ago when the Bills defensive plan resulted in a near compete shutdown of Brady and the Patriots offense.

On the other hand the defensive game planning against the Chiefs was suspect both games this past year. In the postseason the Chiefs offense cut through the Bills defense like a hot knife through butter. The Chiefs offense was far more successful against the Bills than it was in either of its other two postseason games. 

1 minute ago, Arm of Harm said:

There are times when he seems that way. I remember a game against the Patriots a year or two ago when the Bills defensive plan resulted in a near compete shutdown of Brady and the Patriots offense.

On the other hand the defensive game planning against the Chiefs was suspect both games this past year. In the postseason the Chiefs offense cut through the Bills defense like a hot knife through butter. The Chiefs offense was far more successful against the Bills than it was in either of its other two postseason games. 

Yep. We do not match up well defensively with what the Chiefs want to do offensively and while people seem to think it is easy to just throw out the fundamentals of your entire scheme for one game it really isn't. They need to tweak the personnel on that side and make some tweaks to their scheme with the Chiefs especially in mind. But when you are the defense the Bills are you can't suddenly become something else just for one week no matter how good an Xs and Os guy you are. The first plan against the Chiefs was hard to watch but it wasn't actually a bad plan. The offense was the problem that day. Indeed in both games against the Chiefs our protection scheme on offense was much of a problem as the defense. 

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Oy vey.

The over-analysis of a 90-second talking head clip in this thread his hilarious.

And what the ***** does the bolded have to do with anything?

Nevermind, I don't even really want to hear an answer.

Jones was emotionally affected because a large, imposing athlete in a sport where brutality and violence and tough guy stoicism are encouraged felt secure and supported enough in his environment to open up and be himself and be vulnerable. EGADS! Sound the alarms! An overly emotional (and maybe insincere, and definitely not some people's cup of tea, appearance-wise) woman is blabbering about vulnerability. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!

For the 1st bolded, it seemed she really wasn't, but announced that she was.  That's ok though---she's an entertainer.

The 2nd  bolded, good for Williams and his success, but he's a football player using a time honored cliche to say he is satisfied where he is.   Also, "tough guy stoicism" went out the window with the advent of social media....

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Sometimes in life you just have a moment that turns everything around for you. Sport is the same. The moment Terry and Kim Pegula decided to hire Sean McDermott the future of this franchise changed. I like Kris Richard (who we interviewed in that cycle) I believe he could be a good head coach someday. I like Anthony Lynn as a guy.... but we would still be spinning our wheels had we hired either of them. Everything changed the moment McDermott walked into the building. Give the Pegulas credit for hiring him, give Beane credit for working alongside him so carefully, give credit to Josh Allen for working his tail off to get better and better. But it starts with Sean McDermott. The number of coaches in football I'd swap him for is extremely small. 

I'm not sure I'd swap him for anyone. He seems to be getting better and better as time goes on. He could be here for a very long time. I remember tearing my hair out at all the times he used to punt with 4th and short, at around midfield. Now you can see the creativity and analytical savvy percolating in his brain as time goes on.

I might have said Kyle Shanahan at one point before I discovered that he hatches assassination plots on his own players. Andy Reid is obviously still an amazing coach, and I think the NFL should mandate that he wear a face shield every game even when Covid spread is a minor consideration, but I want a guy who's gonna take this team places for a long, long time.