Kim Jones gets choked up talking about Bills culture on NFL Network

Logic

Awesome. It is sometimes hard to believe what an amazing turnabout the Bills organization has made from those terrible drought years to today. They are a shining example of what can happen when you bring in the right people. The culture is real and we are at the top of the mount and are here to stay for quite some time.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Just now, ChevyVanMiller said:

Awesome. It is sometimes hard to believe what an amazing turnabout the Bills organization has made from those terrible drought years to today. They are a shining example of what can happen when you bring in the right people. The culture is real and we are at the top of the mount and here to stay for quite some time.

It really is amazing. Just four short years ago, the words "toxic" and "dumpster fire" were being used to describe the Bills culture. Now? Players signing for less, talking openly about loving each other and loving this team and city, and reporters getting choked up talking about how great it is.

Talk about a turnaround!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

It really is amazing. Just four short years ago, the words "toxic" and "dumpster fire" were being used to describe the Bills culture. Now? Players signing for less, talking openly about loving each other and loving this team and city, and reporters getting choked up talking about how great it is.

Talk about a turnaround!

Sometimes in life you just have a moment that turns everything around for you. Sport is the same. The moment Terry and Kim Pegula decided to hire Sean McDermott the future of this franchise changed. I like Kris Richard (who we interviewed in that cycle) I believe he could be a good head coach someday. I like Anthony Lynn as a guy.... but we would still be spinning our wheels had we hired either of them. Everything changed the moment McDermott walked into the building. Give the Pegulas credit for hiring him, give Beane credit for working alongside him so carefully, give credit to Josh Allen for working his tail off to get better and better. But it starts with Sean McDermott. The number of coaches in football I'd swap him for is extremely small. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Sometimes in life you just have a moment that turns everything around for you. Sport is the same. The moment Terry and Kim Pegula decided to hire Sean McDermott the future of this franchise changed. I like Kris Richard (who we interviewed in that cycle) I believe he could be a good head coach someday. I like Anthony Lynn as a guy.... but we would still be spinning our wheels had we hired either of them. Everything changed the moment McDermott walked into the building. Give the Pegulas credit for hiring him, give Beane credit for working alongside him so carefully, give credit to Josh Allen for working his tail off to get better and better. But it starts with Sean McDermott. The number of coaches in football I'd swap him for is extremely small. 

Well stated.

And even though it's entirely beside the point, I'd be curious to know which coaches those would be.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Well stated.

And even though it's entirely beside the point, I'd be curious to know which coaches those would be.

Well let's leave the Hoodie aside for obvious reasons.... I think John Harbaugh is the best coach not name Belichick in the league. 13 seasons, 9 playoff years, 1 losing record, and a Superbowl win and his Quarterbacks have been Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson. Commendable players both, but neither is close to an elite guy. Andy Reid will go to the HoF so probably him two great runs with two different franchises. After that.... possibly Sean Payton although I think he should have more than 1 ring with the talent he has had in New Orleans. That might be my list. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Can’t believe it’s pretty much the opposite over at the KeyBank Center. Best culture in the league for the Bills and hockey heaven turned into hockey ***** show for the Sabres

It is a shame but this also shows how hard it is to find the right person to truly shift a culture. 

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Logic said:

Everyone loves the Bills because weve been terrible, not a threat to anyone, eventually the hate will make its way here.  My point is I cant stand this lady!  Its just these typical PR fluff pieces or her trying to turn the NFL into anything other than actual football 🤮.  I hate politics in football, but understand its a small part of it and is never going away.  Shes trying to turn it into 90% off field/10% football, and can kick rocks.  Leave our beloved sport alone and quit with the soap opera narratives 🤮🤮🤮

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 9
  • Sad 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Well let's leave the Hoodie aside for obvious reasons.... I think John Harbaugh is the best coach not name Belichick in the league. 13 seasons, 9 playoff years, 1 losing record, and a Superbowl win and his Quarterbacks have been Joe Flacco and Lamar Jackson. Commendable players both, but neither is close to an elite guy. Andy Reid will go to the HoF so probably him two great runs with two different franchises. After that.... possibly Sean Payton although I think he should have more than 1 ring with the talent he has had in New Orleans. That might be my list. 

That's about what I was thinking, too.

The one omission that merits discussion is Mike Tomlin. Even though I don't personally like Mike Tomlin very much, it's worth noting that he hasn't had a losing season in 14 years, has a Super Bowl win on his resume, and currently has a better career win percentage than Bill Cowher or Chuck Noll. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I've said a million times to everyone everywhere pre-McBeane what she said...I believe in leadership and intellect over scheme. The analytics dorks on WGR55 and elsewhere in this town who want numbers to be all the matters when it comes to football and hockey fail miserable to consider that people are not robots, they react to different things differently and that like any walk of life, human psychology impacts performance. Period. We've all worked in jobs with bad bosses and bad leadership that either impacted our performance or performance of others negatively. To assume that because it's a "man's game" and players have to suck it up and do their best is such a neanderthal assumption and leads to a faulty understanding of how an organization impacts play on the field. I said it here over and over.... draft and sign intelligent, hardworking, team-focused talent. For every athletic freak this teams has drafted in round 1 the last 20 years who fell on his face, there were players at their position drafted later who were better PEOPLE with a better outlook on the game and who were clearly more motivated, disciplined, and dedicated to the team-first concept. From Mike Williams to Aaron Maybin to Marcel Dareus to Sammy Watkins this team loved the wrong players because it prioritized quantifiable attributes over qualitative attributes. 

And my entire livelihood is centered on quantitative analysis but it's faulty and limits our understand of complex systems, like a football team. True analysis of organizations means a mixed methods approach that combines the quantitative with the qualitative to create a robust data-driven decision making framework for success.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Rebuilding that defense after Ray Lewis and Ed Reed was amazing. Ozzie Newsome is probably a top 3 executive in the history of the league. I talked about sustainability earlier, that's what makes greatness. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rebuilding that defense after Ray Lewis and Ed Reed was amazing. Ozzie Newsome is probably a top 3 executive in the history of the league. I talked about sustainability earlier, that's what makes greatness. 

For sure he has been supported by one of the best front offices in the league and an ownership group that in 20 odd years have had two head coaches. It is a very well run franchise. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

For sure he has been supported by one of the best front offices in the league and an ownership group that in 20 odd years have had two head coaches. It is a very well run franchise. 

Bills are set up similarly in the front office, but with a franchise QB. I think the Bills have 3-4 GM candidates. 

A couple of weeks ago I was at my local Mom & Pop owned Sports Bar (Good Company) here in Colorado Springs in the afternoon.

I've been going there forever and know just about everyone.  Of course they all know I'm a Bills fan.

A bunch of friends who are Bronco and Patriots* fans were talking football at the bar.

I let it go for a few minutes and waited for a short pause in the conversation and then said, "What about that Josh Allen" loudly.

I swear everyone looked at me and just bowed their heads and slowly shook them.

A younger girl Kelly that I know was the only one to comment and she said, "Tim, the Bills fans and Josh Allen deserve each other".

Everyone looked at me and nodded their heads.  I must admit I got a little choked up from that.

The football conversation ended.

Brandon and Sean have put together something special and even fans from other teams know it.

• Like (+1) 5