It's draft day morning, and I've never seen everyone have LESS of an idea of who or even what position the Bills will be drafting

Logic

First of all, happy Second Football Christmas to all of you! 

Happy Woman GIF by Kraken Images

Second, it's been a really fun run-up to the draft this year.

Through a combination of the Bills picking so late in round one, their having few huge needs (or several, depending who you ask), and draft boards being all over the place due to COVID opt-outs and no combine...no one seems to have any damned clue who the Bills will be picking!

Just this morning, I've been reading every national and local reporters' big, super serious, highly researched, one and only FINAL MOCK DRAFT...and the've got the Bills all over the map. I've seen DT, Edge, CB, RB, trade up, trade down. I've seen Onwuzireke, Phillips, Rousseau, Samuel Jr, Etienne, Barmore. It's nuts. 

I can't ever remember everyone collectively having less of an idea who, or even what position, the Bills are likely to draft. And I am HERE for it!

Enjoy the next three days, everybody. After that, it's a long few months before we get any more football fix. And remember, whenever the Bills pick a player, even if you've never heard of them -- ESPECIALLY if you've never heard of them -- you have to pick a role and lean into it with all your might: Either Beane is an idiot because he didn't pick your favorite DII Super Sleeper tight end and he should be fired, or he's a wizard and a genius and *Sunglasses picture* and he should be arrested for robbery. These are your only options.

See ya on the other side!

Game On GIF by memecandy

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Cheers to that! (Although Draft Day Afternoon now)

I agree tough to tell, but if we stay at 30 I think it'll be Vera-Tucker, Barmore, or one of the CBs.

Many will have their pro-or-anti-Beane-pick role picked out well before draft time...

I'm on the west coast. Still drinking my cup of coffee.

The good news is that I only have to wait until 5pm my time for the draft, rather than 8pm.

• Like (+1) 3

I've said for a couple of days and continue to feel stronger and stronger about this... We'll trade up for whoever we want -- probably in the early 20s. Best guess of players (in a rough/guessed priority order: Phillips, Paye, Jok, Farley Newsome). 

1 minute ago, Logic said:

I'm on the west coast. Still drinking my cup of coffee.

The good news is that I only have to wait until 5pm my time for the draft, rather than 8pm.

I love being on the WC for the draft, it lines up so nicely with my day

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, glazeduck said:

I've said for a couple of days and continue to feel stronger and stronger about this... We'll trade up for whoever we want -- probably in the early 20s. Best guess of players (in a rough/guessed priority order: Phillips, Paye, Jok, Farley Newsome). 

I love being on the WC for the draft, it lines up so nicely with my day

1. Seems like a good year to trade up. It's a shallow pool of players, and the guys you're getting in rounds 5-7 are reasonably likely not to make this roster. Might as well use some of that ammo to move up and get who you want.

2. When it comes to football fandom, west coast is the best coast. Games at 10am and 1pm. Night games at 5:20pm. Draft at 5:00pm. It's especially great this year, because the Bills pick so late. No need to stay up until 11:30pm to see the Bills pick.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Strange year because of Covid and opt-outs, but a big part of the uncertainty is that we have not drafted around this spot in a long time, so we have no idea what players will be available to us by the time we draft (unless we want to trade up).

As usual, I'm ready for anything. It's always better to not have set expectations on draft day, and just roll w/ it.

That said, I'll probably be a bit more excited if they go pass rush in the 1st. I'd really like to see them snag an impact player at that position, given some of our aging vets in that group.

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

1. Seems like a good year to trade up. It's a shallow pool of players, and the guys you're getting in rounds 5-7 are reasonably likely not to make this roster. Might as well use some of that ammo to move up and get who you want.

2. When it comes to football fandom, west coast is the best coast. Games at 10am and 1pm. Night games at 5:20pm. Draft at 5:00pm. It's especially great this year, because the Bills pick so late. No need to stay up until 11:30pm to see the Bills pick.

This is also why 1:00 est games are the absolute best, 😁👍

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

IF Pitts drops low enough Bills WILL trade up for him, thats my bet of the day!

If the pick to secure him was available for our 1st, 2nd and 2022 1st, I would pull the trigger with no hesitation. 

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If the pick to secure him was available for our 1st, 2nd and 2022 1st, I would pull the trigger with no hesitation. 

This years 2nd too? Ballsy but I dont hate it. Dude has megatron measurables, and speed.

I agree with the OP.  I don't think it's a real surprise that this is the case.  This is the deepest and most talented roster the Bills have had in many years, if ever.  That combines with Beane's philosophy of filling as many holes as possible in free agency so the Bills are are in a position to take the BPA without being tempted to draft a poor value due to need.  Draft position also contributes to that state.  At #30 there will not be a player with a full slate of elite traits without red flags.  Unless you know exactly what Brandon Beane's level of risk aversion is, you can't know what red flags he's going to be willing to overlook.  Caleb Farley's back?  Jaelen Phillips' concussions?  Rumors about Christian Barmore's coachability?  Jayson Oweh's disturbing lack of production?  

I think with the roster the Bills have in place, they will simply stand pat and take the best player available on their board, and by #30 that could be any of a lot of dudes. Later-round picks will not be valued as much this year, so I don't expect much upward movement for the Bills or anyone else.

I've been saying for a month that the Bills are drafting for the future.  That's what Beane said in an interview just now.  He's figured out what holes he'll have to address in 2022 and 2023, not in 2021 when he's got starters he likes all across the board already.  

My personal choice, one that I see no one else mentioning, is a safety, to learn from Hyde and Poyer and to be prepared to step in when either of them loses the step that we all know they will lose eventually.  

• Like (+1) 2