What player can the Bills realistically get that will most directly lead to a SB THIS year?

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Would love it if the Bills sign Justin Houston post draft. Definitley on board with drafting a dynamic CB high. Still can't count out adding a home run hitting play maker on O. ETN, Gainwell... 

Sure, huge steps forward for Epenesa and Gave Davis and Motor and/ or Moss would go a long way. 

I wouldn't hate the RB idea but I think pass rush plus a solid CB opposite Tre would be a better fit here. I trulydont think we have a bad tandem with Singletary and Moss.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I wouldn't hate the RB idea but I think pass rush plus a solid CB opposite Tre would be a better fit here. I trulydont think we have a bad tandem with Singletary and Moss.

I wouldn't hate trading back into the early 2nd and waking away with a dynamic RB, CB2, Edge and Wr/Kr in the first 3 rounds. 

3 hours ago, wvbillsfan said:

We couldn’t stop KC either time we played them. 
Im going defense this draft. Edge 

corner 

IDL. 

we need to pressure 

Get more speed and stop

the run. 

We also really didn't score much on offense against them.

It was pretty clear that they were the better team both times. Hopefully we can get a player or two to tip the scales!

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I think LG or CB2 are the weakest positions on the team. If Teven Jenkins is there I would run to the podium. Landon Dickerson if the injury isn’t a concern. 

Edge would be nice but there aren’t any polished players and it’s already a crowded room this year. More of a future need unless we trade Addison post 6/1 to save 5mil.  I like Ossai in the 2nd, maybe have to trade up for him. He has played LB and edge in college and ran 4.4 40 at pro day. 

For CB2 I’m ok waiting until the 2nd or even 3rd round for a guy with speed that can play man coverage at times to confuse opposing QBs. Take advantage of McDermotts specialty and get a guy with raw talent you can coach up. Ben St Juste or Ambry Thomas could be there in the 3rd

you don’t think a G/T or G/C prospect could be an upgrade over Cody Ford?

Not in a way that will cause a super bowl win, no. 

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

If the Draft fell in a way that we get say: 

RD1 - Jaelen Phillips/Gregory Rousseau/Jason Oweh

RD2 - Eric Stokes/Tyson Campbell/Asante Samuel/Ifeatu Melifonwu

RD3 - Bobby Brown/Tyler Shelvin/Alim McNeil/Tedarrel Slaton

I don't think that it's that out of the realm of possibilities to think this Defense could be absolutely filthy next year.  

Etienne is easily the biggest upgrade we could add on Offense, and he immediately provides us with a 2nd option when someone goes all out against our QB/WR passing attack.

I also like DE but have concerns over the 3 you mentioned. I might flip-flop and go CB (Stokes or Samuel) at 30. Then maybe Tryon ,Ossai,in 2nd if they last.

Edited by Georgie

Whatever combination that allows us to get pressure on the passer and stop the run more with our front 4 so the back 7 can cover all the weapons we struggle to stop when facing the more elite offensive teams and/or allows us to match up better when teams go the physical running route (thinking Titans here and our first meeting with KC).

If and when we meet up with the Titans again I don't think they fair as well against Allen with their 2 and 3 deep zone coverage. Everyone tried to play him the same way down the stretch and he started seeing the field better and hitting things before the sticks - his shoulder injury from the Raiders game could still have been hampering his throwing motion as well.

Biggest struggle for Allen will always be his desire to hit the home run and  holding the ball too long against those defenses committed to those zone shell looks. The longer a QB holds the ball the more likely your receivers are blanketed by added deep safeties. Especially if you do not have two burners that can stress the deep safety cover 1 or 2 looks or a running game that forces one of them back into the box. Allen's completion percentage bears this out as it drops the longer he holds the ball.

Against the Chiefs 4-1-6 look they often trotted out 4 safeties from their roster so they could still give those 2-deep split safety looks yet keep more size on the field to stop the run (if we did that effectively) and play more physical with our banged up receivers.

It is a testament to Allen's growth mindset that defensive coordinators continue to have to throw new wrinkles at him as he matures his game. Early on, a lot of cover-0 man looks and near constant blitzes, Allen started tearing those up. Then single high safety with man and still a healthy does of blitzing Allen started feasting on those.

Now he sees more 2 or 3 deep safety looks with a smattering of fire zone/zone dog blitzes to try to get him out of rhythm and to hold the ball longer - just the next obstacle that I am confident Allen will learn to overcome. Our interior line has to hold up better and it will help if our roster is not broken pieces of players down the stretch.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

I've said it before and I will say it again.....

If lightning could strike twice and we could get a CB tonight that could come in and be as good as Tre was his rookie year, then that would have the biggest impact on this team.  The reason for this is because a second shutdown CB would not only help to cover guys better, but it immediately would help the pass rush because the front 7 would have that extra second or 2 to get to the passer.  I think a second shutdown CB would honestly help the pass rush more than any Edge in this draft would.

There are a bunch of good ones in this draft and I would even take 2 of them.  My guy in the range we are picking is Asante Samuel Jr., but I could see him going earlier than our pick.  I know some think he may sneak through until the 2nd, but if I were drafting, unless something completely wacky happens, he's my guy.

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

End of first almost 2nd round gives you the 5th year option for a potential stud RB. I wouldn't oppose the pick at all and he could be another game changer.

Who is the stud RB - you have 2 guys that are being looked at as late 1st rd picks for a reason. 

ETN is faster, but still not elite RB speed and has been way overused.  He is a lesser RB than Harris and can’t catch or block as well.

Harris is an excellent RB in the mold of other recent Alabama RBs like the guys 2 guys in NE that neither are a difference maker.  If he was faster than ETN then he might be a stud, but he is barely faster than Moss - he is not a break away threat - he is a pound the rock 25 times and hit him on a few screens.

I just think both of these guys (and running backs in general) are use them up commodities and having the 5th year option doesn’t help much as that is typically more than if you pick up a street FA. 

31 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Who is the stud RB - you have 2 guys that are being looked at as late 1st rd picks for a reason. 

ETN is faster, but still not elite RB speed and has been way overused.  He is a lesser RB than Harris and can’t catch or block as well.

Harris is an excellent RB in the mold of other recent Alabama RBs like the guys 2 guys in NE that neither are a difference maker.  If he was faster than ETN then he might be a stud, but he is barely faster than Moss - he is not a break away threat - he is a pound the rock 25 times and hit him on a few screens.

I just think both of these guys (and running backs in general) are use them up commodities and having the 5th year option doesn’t help much as that is typically more than if you pick up a street FA. 

Allow me to put in bold lettering the player I think that can have the biggest impact on the Buffalo Bills reaching the Superbowl. ;  ) 

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

ETN has averaged 14 carries a game the last three seasons. He’s sat out plenty of fourth and third quarters. Please stop with the overused baloney.

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

Etienne can't catch as well? To me, he was more effective catching the ball against teams like Bama, OSU, A&M and ND. Harris is a poor man's D.Henry. Big, but not as much speed. I'd wait for Javonte Williams if he gets to us in RD 2. Edge rusher, CB (Samuel) or a trade down for Day 2 picks. 

I think an EDGE rusher would help us the most to possibly reach the SB

6 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The window theory is a suckers game to be a flash in the pan.  Being a consistently good team for a period of time is a better bet. 

A lot of luck/injuries go into each season.  For instance Cleveland was real close to knocking off KC which would have resulted in the Bills being in the Superbowl.

Spot on...

7 hours ago, bills6969 said:

I would say our biggest weakness is our dline.  So any picks there will fill a hole.  But, an explosive RB would make our offense unstoppable. 

Disagree.  I think explosive RB loses 1/2 yard less when met in backfield as Moss and Singletary were.  Speed at RB is overrated, in my opinion.  Yes, occasionally a fast guy can break a big run where a slower guy makes only a good gain.  Still, most runs require good blocking, RB vision and make-you-miss ability- not necessarily raw speed.

tyreke had 172 yards against us in that title game. we could use a db that can cover him or another guy so we can lock down those chiefs and bucs wide receivers.  if we can cover the wr's an extra second our d ends can get those coverage sacks. 

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

If the Draft fell in a way that we get say: 

RD1 - Jaelen Phillips/Gregory Rousseau/Jason Oweh

RD2 - Eric Stokes/Tyson Campbell/Asante Samuel/Ifeatu Melifonwu

RD3 - Bobby Brown/Tyler Shelvin/Alim McNeil/Tedarrel Slaton

I don't think that it's that out of the realm of possibilities to think this Defense could be absolutely filthy next year.  

Etienne is easily the biggest upgrade we could add on Offense, and he immediately provides us with a 2nd option when someone goes all out against our QB/WR passing attack.

Respectfully disagree.  Etienne is fast, maybe not AS fast as advertised, but I think his receiving skills are a tad overblown and I don’t think he has special power or elusiveness.

I don’t hate him as a prospect, but he is half used up (imho) and good not great.  If the argument is that he is a dynamic receiver, then I prefer Elijah Moore who is at least as fast, has better hands and route running and will play in the league longer.  Don’t get me wrong, I am not sold on Moore, either.  Likely slot receiver only and undersized, but still more of an immediate upgrade and long-term contributor in my view.

4 hours ago, foreboding said:

End of first almost 2nd round gives you the 5th year option for a potential stud RB. I wouldn't oppose the pick at all and he could be another game changer.

Both of these heavily used RBs will be declining by year 4, so 5th year is not very helpful.

20 minutes ago, buffaloaggie said:

Etienne can't catch as well? To me, he was more effective catching the ball against teams like Bama, OSU, A&M and ND. Harris is a poor man's D.Henry. Big, but not as much speed. I'd wait for Javonte Williams if he gets to us in RD 2. Edge rusher, CB (Samuel) or a trade down for Day 2 picks. 

I think an EDGE rusher would help us the most to possibly reach the SB

The poster doesn’t know what he’s talking about. You want a DE, WR or CB, ok, but Etienne is undoubted class. I’ve seen him throw the halfback option pass on a rope 25 yards down the field to Tee Higgins. He is also a very good blocker; Dabo made him work on it his last two seasons.

Edited by Soylent Green

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Realistically, I don't think there is a rookie in this class that wins us a Super Bowl this year. If we do win a Super Bowl, it's because of improvements from players already on the team.

I guess maybe one of the corners would be my choice if I had to pick a prospect.

Agree.

How soon we forget the folly of the "off the bus starters" draft of 2016 on this board.

IMO a future LT who can be good at guard as a rookie would be the most helpful addition but a good CB would be too.    Not sure how deep into the draft we can EXPECT to get a CB who will beat out Levi Wallace and Dan Jackson though.     If said rookie makes mistakes,  it won't matter if he runs like hell,  he won't play ahead of Levi.

7 hours ago, foreboding said:

We are in the window and came damn close. Did we lose because of defense or an inability to score enough? When in the window you ought not be overly patient. Get it done!

So, who then gets us there, this year? One player on defense will not give us the BUCS level of play, not happening this year.

Isn't it Etienne? I feel like we need something back there and our guys never seem able to run through an arm tackle.

I don’t see any player buffalo drafts will be a major impact player.  RB is one position rookie can step in and impact. Any other position there are uncertainties of them stepping in and starting.