What player can the Bills realistically get that will most directly lead to a SB THIS year?

We are in the window and came damn close. Did we lose because of defense or an inability to score enough? When in the window you ought not be overly patient. Get it done!

So, who then gets us there, this year? One player on defense will not give us the BUCS level of play, not happening this year.

Isn't it Etienne? I feel like we need something back there and our guys never seem able to run through an arm tackle.

• Eyeroll 4

If the Draft fell in a way that we get say: 

RD1 - Jaelen Phillips/Gregory Rousseau/Jason Oweh

RD2 - Eric Stokes/Tyson Campbell/Asante Samuel/Ifeatu Melifonwu

RD3 - Bobby Brown/Tyler Shelvin/Alim McNeil/Tedarrel Slaton

I don't think that it's that out of the realm of possibilities to think this Defense could be absolutely filthy next year.  

Etienne is easily the biggest upgrade we could add on Offense, and he immediately provides us with a 2nd option when someone goes all out against our QB/WR passing attack.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

The window theory is a suckers game to be a flash in the pan.  Being a consistently good team for a period of time is a better bet. 

A lot of luck/injuries go into each season.  For instance Cleveland was real close to knocking off KC which would have resulted in the Bills being in the Superbowl.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

7 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The window theory is a suckers game to be a flash in the pan.  Being a consistently good team for a period of time is a better bet. 

A lot of luck/injuries go into each season.  For instance Cleveland was real close to knocking off KC which would have resulted in the Bills being in the Superbowl.

That’s the formula for being forever a bridesmaid, never a bride.  Teams are aggressive in today’s NFL.  Hoping the Chiefs get knocked off by the Browns isn’t a strategy.  This is a great team that currently has some fatal flaws.  If there’s a chance to fix them, no price is too high.  You can’t win multiple championships until you win one.  Get the first one when you can and then figure out the rest when that time comes.

The Rams are a perfect example of a team that shot their shot and came up short.  Three years later, they’re among the favorites.  It didn’t set them back a decade.  They took their medicine for a couple years and rebuilt.

• Like (+1) 1

The only position where a rookie can be expected to make a significant contribution their rookie campaign, and the only position that we could upgrade immediately with a rookie is the RB position.  If we are trying to win now, we grab Harris or Etienne.

If Beane was being truthful about taking a long term, not short term outlook on the draft, we won't use our 1st on a RB.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The only position where a rookie can be expected to make a significant contribution their rookie campaign, and the only position that we could upgrade immediately with a rookie is the RB position.  If we are trying to win now, we grab Harris or Etienne.

If Beane was being truthful about taking a long term, not short term outlook on the draft, we won't use our 1st on a RB.

End of first almost 2nd round gives you the 5th year option for a potential stud RB. I wouldn't oppose the pick at all and he could be another game changer.

• Vomit 1

I think LG or CB2 are the weakest positions on the team. If Teven Jenkins is there I would run to the podium. Landon Dickerson if the injury isn’t a concern. 

Edge would be nice but there aren’t any polished players and it’s already a crowded room this year. More of a future need unless we trade Addison post 6/1 to save 5mil.  I like Ossai in the 2nd, maybe have to trade up for him. He has played LB and edge in college and ran 4.4 40 at pro day. 

For CB2 I’m ok waiting until the 2nd or even 3rd round for a guy with speed that can play man coverage at times to confuse opposing QBs. Take advantage of McDermotts specialty and get a guy with raw talent you can coach up. Ben St Juste or Ambry Thomas could be there in the 3rd

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

you don’t think a G/T or G/C prospect could be an upgrade over Cody Ford?

I think the question this thread begs is: Which positions are in most need of an upgrade?

In my opinion, the needs at upgrade would fall in the following order:

1. D-line (run defense and pass rush)
  2. Running game (not all on the running backs)
  3. Tight ends
  4. Defensive backs
  5. Line backers
  6. K/P return
  7. Interior O-line
  8. Everything else...

I think the truth is that there is no position in this draft that changes much of anything.

You want a different outcome - let’s play it out with an easier schedule this year, maybe all 5 of our WRs are injured with broken fibula’s and torn oblique muscles.  

There are lots of ways to impact outcomes - a late first round pick should not be the difference.

The Bills are in a great position - the team and the staff are learning and growing together.  

Let the season progress and just draft a guy that will be with the team long term - therefore unless he is by far the best value - avoid a RB as the difference between a late 1st round guy, an undrafted guy, and a guy you can pick up mid season - is fairly minor as was shown by KC last year.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

43 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

I think LG or CB2 are the weakest positions on the team. If Teven Jenkins is there I would run to the podium. Landon Dickerson if the injury isn’t a concern. 

Edge would be nice but there aren’t any polished players and it’s already a crowded room this year. More of a future need unless we trade Addison post 6/1 to save 5mil.  I like Ossai in the 2nd, maybe have to trade up for him. He has played LB and edge in college and ran 4.4 40 at pro day. 

For CB2 I’m ok waiting until the 2nd or even 3rd round for a guy with speed that can play man coverage at times to confuse opposing QBs. Take advantage of McDermotts specialty and get a guy with raw talent you can coach up. Ben St Juste or Ambry Thomas could be there in the 3rd

you don’t think a G/T or G/C prospect could be an upgrade over Cody Ford?

We honestly don’t know what we have at guard in Ford.  He played mostly tackle his rookie year and finally moved to guard year two, which seems like his natural position, and got hurt.  I’m not ready to say he’s a weak link on the line yet.  There’s no guarantee anyone we draft will be better as a rookie.  Rookie RBs can have monster seasons.  Less likely for a lineman to do that.

• Agree 1

Realistically, I don't think there is a rookie in this class that wins us a Super Bowl this year. If we do win a Super Bowl, it's because of improvements from players already on the team.

I guess maybe one of the corners would be my choice if I had to pick a prospect.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, foreboding said:

We are in the window and came damn close. Did we lose because of defense or an inability to score enough? When in the window you ought not be overly patient. Get it done!

So, who then gets us there, this year? One player on defense will not give us the BUCS level of play, not happening this year.

Isn't it Etienne? I feel like we need something back there and our guys never seem able to run through an arm tackle.

So when Patrick Mahomes is lighting us up again we'll just have to hope we can outscore them? How about sign Justin Houston and add another CB or pass rusher in round 1? Then we have a whole rotation of deadly people to kill Mahomes. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

So when Patrick Mahomes is lighting us up again we'll just have to hope we can outscore them? How about sign Justin Houston and add another CB or pass rusher in round 1? Then we have a whole rotation of deadly people to kill Mahomes. 

Would love it if the Bills sign Justin Houston post draft. Definitley on board with drafting a dynamic CB high. Still can't count out adding a home run hitting play maker on O. ETN, Gainwell... 

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Realistically, I don't think there is a rookie in this class that wins us a Super Bowl this year. If we do win a Super Bowl, it's because of improvements from players already on the team.

I guess maybe one of the corners would be my choice if I had to pick a prospect.

Sure, huge steps forward for Epenesa and Gave Davis and Motor and/ or Moss would go a long way.