Diggs played with torn oblique in playoffs?

7 hours ago, eball said:

I fully appreciate that war metaphors are somewhat frowned upon when talking about a sport but that said, these guys truly are “warriors” and fans should really think twice before spewing their uneducated, knee-jerk criticisms of professional athletes. What they go through, and push themselves through, is remarkable. 

47 minutes ago, eball said:

You've completely missed the point.  Just because someone is being paid millions doesn't mean they should be criticized because they didn't perform as well while injured.

The bolded was exactly your point and I'm disagreeing with it.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is such an idiotic statement at the time of the year health is such an important thing in Kansas City was way more healthy than we were it was not even close

Stop, just stop.

You just keep digging a hole of idiocy.

Your fandom has surpassed the reality of what was being talked about. 

Edited by TBBills

No it really hasn’t you’re trying to say yeah we were hurt but so is everybody else they weren’t hurt in the positions that made them get to the playoffs the way that we were we lived on the back of Josh Allen’s arm and those receivers we had a receiver with an oblique injury a broken leg smoke was not the same hell even the rook was hurt it’s not the same don’t be an idiot

Edited by John from Riverside

Our receivers were getting beaten to a pulp every play in the postseason to the point we literally had no one  left healthy in the AFCCG. Then, the Bucs win the Super Bowl because they suddenly decided to throw the flag for breathing on a receiver.  Makes no sense.  

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Our receivers were getting beaten to a pull every play in the postseason to the point we literally had no one  left healthy in the AFCCG. Then, the Bucs win the Super Bowl because they suddenly decided to throw the flag for breathing on a receiver.  Makes no sense.  

Yeah but the injuries to Diggs and Beasley happened prior to the post-season.  Beasley was against the Cheats and Diggs got injured against Miami.

Couldn't tell. He was a godsend all year. He was a difference maker every time he strapped up.

15 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think it will still be 6 WRs (Diggs, Beasley. Sanders, Davis,  McKenzie and a high-mid round Draft pick).

TEs wlll be Knox,  Sweeney, Gillian and a Draft pick 

Wouldn't mind Tommy tremble as a project while he would be the day one best blocking te on the team.

16 hours ago, Success said:

That and the refs inexplicably letting KC's DB's hold on every play really changed the outcome of the AFCCG.

We were a better offense than we showed that day.  Very out of character, and made a middlin' defense look like a world beater.

Looking forward to the rematch.

And 2 weeks later those exact holds all get called. That adorable shield. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Imagine going through and putting yourself though all that for no money at all.

And:

...no trainers, except the medics and voodoo doctor shots (I'm talking SoF), w juice or painkiller

...no recognition

....no excuse, even though you're literally shitting your pants due to dysentery

...you make a mistake, you or your battle buddy are dead

... nobody gives a damn what happens to you, save a very few

...and no flags on the field.

I guess I very generally understand the idea of the "warrior" metaphor.

But no, no no. And not trying to be a d**k.

I assure you, there is NO comparison between war and any other life experience. Not even close.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

We knew he had an oblique injury but didn’t know the extent. So we had a torn oblique, a broken fibula (Beasely), Gabe Davis ankle and Smoke’s myriad of ankle/foot/knee. 

It is what it is. 

if it’s bad enough to be reported you have to assume it’s pretty substantial with most Nfl guys.

they play with like 4 injuries we couldn’t get out of bed with without hitting the injury report. Once it’s bad enough to get reported - it’s bad.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:32 PM, Mr. WEO said:

The bolded was exactly your point and I'm disagreeing with it.

Tried to DM, but somehow doesn't work. So I guess I have to pass along publicly:

WEO: not to bother you during this hectic time, but sending my respect to you for recognizing the difference between a warrior and a.... "warrior".

As mentioned in my posts I'm not insane-crazy about use of the metaphor/analogy. I kind of get it, and try not to criticize.

Problem is athletes and commenters just throw it out there as almost an equivalency.

But...what if Diggs had to go and fight (literally) the day after an injured oblique? And the day after that? And the day after?  Would he die, rather than give up?

And what if he couldn't rest and recover b/c 122mm rocket rounds are landing near his lovely home, night after night?

Anyway, I don't want to take this too far, not being a purist about the subject.

But, just wanted to send a note so you know someone here really appreciates your sentiment. Sounds like you, or someone you know, has been "in the suck." And it ain't on a football field.

Best regards, (dukestreetking, my call sign)

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, eball said:

Glad you’ve found your nit to pick. Congrats!

I think you understood when you posted that it's not a nit, when you said "I fully appreciate that war metaphors are somewhat frowned upon when talking about a sport but that said, these guys truly are “warriors” "

Yes, they're tough, and they play through some pretty awful painful injuries

No, they're not warriors

And frankly, even ordinary Jills and Joes holding down ordinary jobs work through some pretty rough injuries because if they don't work, they don't get paid and what we're paid is peanuts, relatively speaking. 

I believe Marv Levy said something to the effect of "Football isn't war.  I've been to war.  Football is a game."

I get your point that a lot of guys on our team were playing through some nasty, painful injuries by the end of the season and in the playoffs

There's still the point that if a guy is so injured he's ineffective, at some point it should be "next man up"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

Tried to DM, but somehow doesn't work. So I guess I have to pass along publicly:

WEO: not to bother you during this hectic time, but sending my respect to you for recognizing the difference between a warrior and a.... "warrior".

As mentioned in my posts I'm not insane-crazy about use of the metaphor/analogy. I kind of get it, and try not to criticize.

Problem is athletes and commenters just throw it out there as almost an equivalency.

But...what if Diggs had to go and fight (literally) the day after an injured oblique? And the day after that? And the day after?  Would he die, rather than give up?

And what if he couldn't rest and recover b/c 122mm rocket rounds are landing near his lovely home, night after night?

Anyway, I don't want to take this too far, not being a purist about the subject.

But, just wanted to send a note so you know someone here really appreciates your sentiment. Sounds like you, or someone you know, has been "in the suck." And it ain't on a football field.

Best regards, (dukestreetking, my call sign)

Thanks for the response.  I wasn't picking on the poster in particular, just the over the top hero worship that really shouldn't be necessary to enjoy the sport and the players.

The term is (even to this civilian) seems at the least, silly and at the worst, offensive to those who serve and have served, as I know that includes you (I've never served--spending a night at sea on the Nimitz doesn't count!).  It's also, as Hapless alludes, a bit insulting to hard working/laboring regular folks who look to sports for entertainment, and who also work when injured....or they don't get paid.

Playing hurt or injured is part of most major sports at every level, more so in football no doubt.  As Hapless also said, if you can play, you're probably OK, if you can't someone else does your job (and you still get paid more than they do).  So finding out that a guy was playing through "an oblique" (imagine players from the 60's, 70's 80's having to hear that!) gets not a hero's welcome, but a hale and hardy..."ok".

I'm in health care and it's become common for people in the past year to tell workers such as me: "thank you for your service", when we are just showing up for work It's really not much of a sacrifice.  Military service is.  So I thank you and any Actives and Vets out there.

Cheers!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

FUD article. Does anyone think Diggs hasn't had it looked at? I have no doubt in my mind someone looked and said it'll heal on its own.  Were not talking about Sammy CutMyCastOff Watkins. Diggs is fine and guarantee he's working his ass off

On 4/28/2021 at 11:17 PM, YoloinOhio said:

We knew he had an oblique injury but didn’t know the extent. So we had a torn oblique, a broken fibula (Beasely), Gabe Davis ankle and Smoke’s myriad of ankle/foot/knee. 

It is what it is. 

Well, it certainly makes sense. He was nearly unstoppable all season and then rendered ineffective in the most important game of the season. Combine that w/ KC getting away w/ holding the whole game and it's like no wonder.

My only gripe is coaches deciding to play him in the Miami game. I know the receiving crown is very important to a player and I'm sure it came down to his decision in the end. Being the best of the best for a season is something you can never take away and I understand completely why he suited up that game. That dirty hit he took while on his knees either injured him or made the pre-existing injury worse. The best and most unpopular decision would've been to let him rest. 

On 4/28/2021 at 11:26 PM, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Say what you will but not getting a bye week in the playoffs ended up hurting us with injuries piling up, imho—figures, the first year that a division winner 2nd conf seed doesn’t get that week off…but we will be fully reloaded so watch out AFC! 

That would've been pivotal. What's the point of getting the #2 seed without reaping the benefit of a bye week? Stupid *** rule and it ended up costing us. A healthy cast of WRs would've made all the difference that game. Also Stephon playing in the Miami game hurt as well. He took some big shots 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1