CB/LB/DE/DT

2 hours ago, glazeduck said:

I've settled into the perspective of just not wanting us to botch the pick. 

I have my favorites (Phillips/Farley/Newsome/Paye in a trade up, Ossai/Oweh/either Moore in a trade back, JOK/Harris/Etienne if we stay put), but at this point, I think it's just about making a good pick.

I don't want guys with limited upside (Asante Samuel Jr./Basham/Toney), guys who are weird scheme fits without rearranging other deck chairs (Barmore/Ojulari [torn on him]/Jamin Davis/Collins/really any OL)

Don't screw it up, I'll be at least mildly satisfied.

This is the right perspective picking late in each round.  You can take “safe” prospects, many will have limited upside or take high upside guys wh are risks to never reach their potential.  There are, of course, guys in the middle between those poles.

I prefer some level of “safeness” that early picks will find some role to contribute in - not necessarily this year.  

2 hours ago, Nester said:

I am really struggling with this. Last week it was Etienne for another pass option for Josh , now i am lean towards Harris for the pure power and speed. 

Who is the better blocker? - I would be thrilled with either. 

Why i want a RB over Defense? (would be happy with a star CB don't get me wrong, but i don't think the ones i like will be there at 30) 

I want a huge threat on the ground that makes defenses hedge. I think if they hedge, Josh with Diggs and Beasley will destroy teams in the air, more so than last year. 

I just don’t really think that Harris or Etienne are that “huge scare the defense” guy.  And I think both are half used up from college.  RBs take a real beating.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

The only players I want to see picked at #30 are those who I believe can make the most impact short-term (next year) with also long-term value.

For me, the players most likely to match those characteristics at #30 would be:

Harris, Etienne, or Marshall on offense, or Paye, Farley (if healthy), Collins, or Phillips on Defense.

7 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Bills line up with TWO Linebackers mostly. Where would you play another one? As a "big nickel"?

We need someone who can handle TEs, and JOK would be perfect for that role. He would be the only one I would trade up for. I’d consider trading up for Phillips or Horn, but the price has to be right. 

Sorry I don’t get the LB need when we March out a 2 LB nickel dee almost all of the time.. it’s a luxury pick not a pressing need unless you aren’t resigning our MLB.  I would be looking for safety help before that or at least a hybrid big nickel safety. Maybe a tweener type like that Safety from Va Tech. 

2 hours ago, Locomark said:

Sorry I don’t get the LB need when we March out a 2 LB nickel dee almost all of the time.. it’s a luxury pick not a pressing need unless you aren’t resigning our MLB.  I would be looking for safety help before that or at least a hybrid big nickel safety. Maybe a tweener type like that Safety from Va Tech. 

We have no LB that can cover TEs. JOK would fill that void. 

21 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I rarely do this...but...did we REALLY need yet another thread on the same topic?  Really?

dont read new threads then, just stick with the old ones.

its draft season, theres nothing else to talk about and each thread is different in its own way. 

agree with u on multiple threads on the same single piece of news, thats silly, but its not a big deal to have 7 or 8 different threads on draft right now because the OP takes are all different flavors.

12 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

We have no LB that can cover TEs. JOK would fill that void. 

Here's my thinking about the "covering LBs" fear... There's maybe 6-8 in the league who are genuinely a threat: Kittle, Kelce, Waller, Pitts, Andrews... Maybe Geisicki? Irv Smith? Jonnu? Hockenson (sort of?)

Of those, we're markedly better than the Raiders, Pats, Lions, 49ers and wherever Pitts lands (barring maybe MIA), meaning even if they have a mismatch at that spot, we should be able to beat them elsewhere. So we're making a draft pick (trading up, no less), because we're concerned about a couple players who may or may not even be on our schedule year over year?

Don't get me wrong, I like the big Nickle idea, and see TE matchups as a need too, but if the decision is between a guy like Phillips, who will be able to make an impact every game, vs. a guy that's more of a situational type, I'll take Phillips every time.

Edited by glazeduck

12 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Here's my thinking about the "covering LBs" fear... There's maybe 6-8 in the league who are genuinely a threat: Kittle, Kelce, Waller, Pitts, Andrews... Maybe Geisicki? Irv Smith? Jonnu? Hockenson (sort of?)

Of those, we're markedly better than the Raiders, Pats, Lions, 49ers and wherever Pitts lands (barring maybe MIA), meaning even if they have a mismatch at that spot, we should be able to beat them elsewhere. So we're making a draft pick (trading up, no less), because we're concerned about a couple players who may or may not even be on our schedule year over year?

Don't get me wrong, I like the big Nickle idea, and see TE matchups as a need too, but if the decision is between a guy like Phillips, who will be able to make an impact every game, vs. a guy that's more of a situational type, I'll take Phillips every time.

I just look at it as a simple reasoning to beat KC. Kelce is their best weapon. If we shut him down, chances are we win. I think JOK vs. Phillips helps us beat KC. For me it’s all about beating KC. 

We either pickup more offensive weapons to our score KC in a high scoring matchup, or we try and find ways to slow down Kelce. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

On 4/28/2021 at 3:32 PM, B-Man said:

Big strong Linebacker please.

There's no such thing as too many.

Edmunds is as good and the same age as any baker.  They paid Milano.  Buffalo plays nickel more than any team.  I dont see that changing.  Edge, Cb, pass catcher in that order imo rd 1.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/28/2021 at 2:20 PM, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m not sure who we will take at 30, or even if we will trade up or down. Part of me wants a DE at 30, but the talent doesn’t really seem to stand out at 30. I would kind of like to see a CB#2 , and think there will be a lot of talent available. I also think we be smart to take a LB that can cover TEs, seeming how we struggled with them during the season. Really the only LB that sticks out to be is JOK, but I think we would have to trade up for him. 

I really like Newsome and Farley, but I haven’t heard their names associated with scouting much. Supposedly we like Ifeatu, but I wouldn’t draft him at 30. 

What direction do you feel we go with for 30? 

I really like Bobby Brown and Shelvin, and wouldn’t mind picking them up in the 3rd round, I feel they provide good value at that pick. 

Jabril Cox is the other LB that is great in coverage. He finally ran this week, put up a 4.52 and 4.54 40.