CB/LB/DE/DT

First time in very long time this is about who is the best player AND need with the 30th pick. IMO, there is no doubt DE is our biggest need, but I’m not sure the talent will be there at 30. CB should have a talented player available but will they truly be an upgrade over Levi? CB depth is always beneficial but we truly need a run stuffer on the Dline and someone that can consistently win one on one battles to get to the QB. Still major questions surrounding Star for me. If it’s a D selection, I’d predict CB with the pick based upon the talent available.

On offense,  a reliable playmaking TE would be a huge add (would be very open to trading for Ertz with a later round draft pick),  We need more playmakers on offense. I won’t lose sleep if the Bills go RB with the 30th pick. Much different than using a top ten pick on RB. Holistically, a running game that the D has to account for opens up the O even more. Singletary and Moss are nice backs but neither has shown they can be the featured back. If the pick is offense, RB, IOL, or WR would be in play.

Will be interesting to see what they do.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Who would you rather have Etienne or Harris? 

I am really struggling with this. Last week it was Etienne for another pass option for Josh , now i am lean towards Harris for the pure power and speed. 

Who is the better blocker? - I would be thrilled with either. 

Why i want a RB over Defense? (would be happy with a star CB don't get me wrong, but i don't think the ones i like will be there at 30) 

I want a huge threat on the ground that makes defenses hedge. I think if they hedge, Josh with Diggs and Beasley will destroy teams in the air, more so than last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

RB or WR? While I would be ok with either Moore, Etienne, or Harris , is it worth the 30 pick? After all we already have Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, and Davis. For some reason 1st round RBs seem overextend their value. Maybe that’s because I feel duped by the Spiller pick. I won’t be mad if we get a Moore. 

I would LOVE Moore. But I think first round RBs are getting a bad rap. Etienne is compared by many to Alvin Kamara. I think any team in the league would take a guy like that on their team.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TFBillsfan said:

First time in very long time this is about who is the best player AND need with the 30th pick. IMO, there is no doubt DE is our biggest need, but I’m not sure the talent will be there at 30. CB should have a talented player available but will they truly be an upgrade over Levi? CB depth is always beneficial but we truly need a run stuffer on the Dline and someone that can consistently win one on one battles to get to the QB. Still major questions surrounding Star for me. If it’s a D selection, I’d predict CB with the pick based upon the talent available.

On offense,  a reliable playmaking TE would be a huge add (would be very open to trading for Ertz with a later round draft pick),  We need more playmakers on offense. I won’t lose sleep if the Bills go RB with the 30th pick. Much different than using a top ten pick on RB. Holistically, a running game that the D has to account for opens up the O even more. Singletary and Moss are nice backs but neither has shown they can be the featured back. If the pick is offense, RB, IOL, or WR would be in play.

Will be interesting to see what they do.

LETS GO BUFFALO!

I think this a very fair assessment and it’s generally on the lines of my current thinking. Right now we have Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, and Davis. Sanders is on a 1 year contract and Beasley isn’t getting any younger. If we are trying to plan for the future, I could see a WR being a pick at 30 , especially give how dynamic both the Moores are. That would help fill in the long term slot receiver for when eventually Beasley leaves. I could also see Etienne or Harris being the pick, as you pointed out, it would help diversify the offense and help prevent teams from keying on one dimension. I think if we are to take a RB, we definitely need to take the better pass catcher, and I think Etienne gets the nod over Harris in that regard. I would be perfectly fine trading a late round pick for Ertz, and I don’t see a round 3-7 TE being able to bring what Ertz can bring, with maybe the exception of the Miami U TE. CB is really top heavy this year, and I feel a really good CB2 can be had. So many directions we could take this year, I’m not sure what direction we choose. 

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

I would LOVE Moore. But I think first round RBs are getting a bad rap. Etienne is compared by many to Alvin Kamara. I think any team in the league would take a guy like that on their team.

I won’t pout if we take Etienne at 30, I just don’t want to trade up for a RB. I do like his talent abilities, so I won’t be mad if he is the choice. There are so many directions we could go with this year. I’m actually really excited about it. Moore is just electric, so is Etienne though. I trust Beane to make the right decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've settled into the perspective of just not wanting us to botch the pick. 

I have my favorites (Phillips/Farley/Newsome/Paye in a trade up, Ossai/Oweh/either Moore in a trade back, JOK/Harris/Etienne if we stay put), but at this point, I think it's just about making a good pick.

I don't want guys with limited upside (Asante Samuel Jr./Basham/Toney), guys who are weird scheme fits without rearranging other deck chairs (Barmore/Ojulari [torn on him]/Jamin Davis/Collins/really any OL)

Don't screw it up, I'll be at least mildly satisfied.

36 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Who are some of your CB2 choices? 

I really haven’t scouted (if you’ll allow me to

abuse that term) much this year, so this is really just me parroting others, but it seems like the names I’ve heard the most for 30 are Newsome, Farley, and Stokes.

Injury concerns for the first two, but if that makes them slide and the team likes the medicals enough (big if), then it would seem to be good value. 

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I really haven’t scouted (if you’ll allow me to

abuse that term) much this year, so this is really just me parroting others, but it seems like the names I’ve heard the most for 30 are Newsome, Farley, and Stokes.

Injury concerns for the first two, but if that makes them slide and the team likes the medicals enough (big if), then it would seem to be good value. 

Everyone is scared of Farley back injury, but I’m not concerned at all. I’d be a lot more concerned if it was a knee issue. I would be happy with Newsome or Farley. Not sold on Asante yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just going to sit back, relax, and enjoy it. Whoever the Bills take, I'll just watch some highlight videos and listen to the media reactions and not worry one bit.

Unless it's a punter...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Everyone is scared of Farley back injury, but I’m not concerned at all. I’d be a lot more concerned if it was a knee issue. I would be happy with Newsome or Farley. Not sold on Asante yet. 

Seems like most mocks I see have Samuel gone (along w/ Horn) by the time we pick. 

57 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Ha! No worries dude. We've clearly reached Draft Day Eve.

I can't wait till the weekend when all these "a thought popped into my head and it needs its own thread" can take a break.  Like I appreciate the enthusiasm for a big event, but mehhh...

Well, after the customary 101 threads on which undrafted rookies we need to pick up who will carry us to the Super Bowl of course.

7 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Seems like most mocks I see have Samuel gone (along w/ Horn) by the time we pick. 

Yeah Horn will be long gone, not sure on Samuel though, he might be available when we pick. At this point though, would we rather have Samuel or Moores/Etienne? 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Yeah Horn will be long gone, not sure on Samuel though, he might be available when we pick. At this point though, would we rather have Samuel or Moores/Etienne? 

If the players available are closely graded, then I would hope we can go OL, DE, or CB.

Don't feel the value is there at 30 for the offensive playmakers. 

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

For me it’s all about who can contribute the most with pick 30 or a trade up. Who helps us more, a LB that can cover Kelce. A CB #2 that can help lock down most threats during the whole season opposite of Tre. A Olineman that can help open up the run game a little more , or a DE/DL that can get after that QB. 

Personally I think a CB#2 and DE are the best option, but I don’t like Oweh and a few others at 30. I think good top end CB talent exist and would bring us the best value at 30. I think DL talent is there to be had in the later rounds like Bobby Brown and Shelvin. I’m not really sure I like taking a RB at 30, but if Beane feels like that helps this team more, than so be it I guess. 

I only like JOK in the first round, and I think we would have to trade up. I’d be ok for trading up for him, he would help us with TEs. 

What DE would you take at 30? Rousseau? 

I think looking at who contributes most immediately is too short-sighted.  They are trying to build a sustainable contender here and I am on board with that philosophy.  Others may prefer “all-in now” approach, but not me.  Too many things, including one key injury can derail that approach.

I would be OK with future plays, players who might not be huge contributors in 21, but have a good chance to be big contributors in 22 and beyond.

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think looking at who contributes most immediately is too short-sighted.  They are trying to build a sustainable contender here and I am on board with that philosophy.  Others may prefer “all-in now” approach, but not me.  Too many things, including one key injury can derail that approach.

I would be OK with future plays, players who might not be huge contributors in 21, but have a good chance to be big contributors in 22 and beyond.

What players in your mind fit that mold? 

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

RB or WR? While I would be ok with either Moore, Etienne, or Harris , is it worth the 30 pick? After all we already have Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, and Davis. For some reason 1st round RBs seem overextend their value. Maybe that’s because I feel duped by the Spiller pick. I won’t be mad if we get a Moore. 

Diggs, Beasley, Sanders and Davis is a Top 5 WR unit, but only Diggs truly scares anyone.   

KC has Hill & Kelce terrorizing, plus a talented OL and surrounding cast of WR’s/RB’s.  

If a guy is there that can strike fear into opposing defenses, take him.   

Etienne, Toney and Moore come to mind.  

Edited by SCBills

35 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

What players in your mind fit that mold? 

I think many could fit that description.  Several of the DEs like Oweh and Tryon are in that category.  Most of the CBs after Surtain, Newsome and Horn also fit.  Really, any high upside guy who might need a year to blossom -or- a nearly finished product who might have to sit behind a vet this year.  

Guys with tons of wear and tear at RB like Etienne and Harris don’t fit that description as they may contribute early, they likely fade/breakdown in 3-4 years at the latest.

Just my view, but I would prefer long-term thinking.