Broncos acquire QB Teddy Bridgewater for 6th round pick

Logic

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Broncos just spinning their wheels at QB, it seems. At least they keep trying, I suppose.

It's really hard to be really good at one thing in your life, and it's almost impossible to be really good at a second.   John Elway was a really good quarterback. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

It makes complete sense for them not to take a Quarterback this year.   Lock is terrible, and their coach is a lame duck.   With the new GM in place, they need to wait until they hire the next coach to grab a new QB, that way the entire organization will be aligned.   If you take a QB this year you screw with their development once you fire the coach in the offseason.

I am not sure the move makes a ton of sense given that the best case scenario for them is 3rd place in their division.   If Lock throws up on himself it does give Fangio some sort of saving grace.  But the end result is going to be the same, at best they are a 7 win team who win fire their coach at the end of the season.

I just wanted to point out that the person most loudly beating the "Bridgewater to the Broncos is likely" drum the past several weeks has been "Logic's national football reporter of the day", Benjamin Allbright. I mean, he's a Broncos reporter by trade, so it makes sense that he had the scoop first. But it adds another tiny twig of evidence to the "he knows stuff" tinder pile.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, DJB said:

The Patriots are getting Fields aren't they? 

giphy.gif

I think Carolina now feels they have a real shot at Fields - something they did not feel a few weeks ago.

I think Fields to Carolina.  NE - I think has a shot at Mac Jones.

45 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll forever LOL at Elway for passing on Allen and then taking Drew Lock the next year.

To be fair, everyone was LOLing at us for passing on Mahomes and taking the wrong Josh the next year too.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Exactly.  Good grief at least have the trade ready to go and wait to see what happens on draft night.

If they end up drafting a QB they just threw away $3M and a 6th rounder!

4 QBs will be gone by the time of Denver's pick without a trade-up.  The 1st 3 picks will be QBs & at 8 Carolina is trading the pick (rumors are to NE so NE can take their QB of the future, but maybe another team outbids NE).  Obviously, the guy who Denver thinks will still be available isn't someone they like & it's likely they don't like much after the 1st 2 or 3 who will be long gone by #9.    

Just now, 1ManRaid said:

To be fair, everyone was LOLing at us for passing on Mahomes and taking the wrong Josh the next year too.

Indeed they were. But it appears the Bills may have (emphasis on MAY) gotten the last LOL.

26 minutes ago, wppete said:

What’s Teddy’s contract like? I feel it’s expensive for a backup?

We got a stake in Mitch Trubiski.  Guess he really did want to be near home, his family lives about 2 hours from Buffalo. 

Denver is paying $3M for one year of TB.  Locke is still on the 3rd year of his four year, $7M rookie deal.  Neither of those deals is going to stop Denver from drafting a QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

I just wanted to point out that the person most loudly beating the "Bridgewater to the Broncos is likely" drum the past several weeks has been "Logic's national football reporter of the day", Benjamin Allbright. I mean, he's a Broncos reporter by trade, so it makes sense that he had the scoop first. But it adds another tiny twig of evidence to the "he knows stuff" tinder pile.

Albright is a pricky fellow, but hes got good sources

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, DJB said:

The Patriots are getting Fields aren't they? 

giphy.gif

At this point, it's almost a certainty that one of the top QB prospects will land in their lap.

If not all the way to #15, they will at least be able to make a minimal trade-up without being forced to mortgage the future.

Atlanta is financially stuck with Matt Ryan for the next two seasons.  I think all the QB rumors are a smokescreen.

Cincinnati is obviously not taking a QB.

Miami is very unlikely to take a QB, after drafting Tua #5 overall just a year ago.

Detroit is a possibility.  But those who follow the Lions are convinced the front office believes it can salvage Jared Goff.

Carolina just traded for Sam Darnold.

Denver's move for Teddy Bridgewater really crowds up the QB room if they are looking to draft one.

Dallas is not taking a QB.

New York (Giants) is not taking a QB.

Philadelphia is a possibility.  But the GM has suggested they are giving Jordan Love a real shot at the job.

San Diego is not taking a QB.

Minnesota is not taking a QB.

Then you have New England, in prime position to ***** up Justin Fields, Tre Lance or Mac Jones.

6 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

4 QBs will be gone by the time of Denver's pick without a trade-up.  The 1st 3 picks will be QBs & at 8 Carolina is trading the pick (rumors are to NE so NE can take their QB of the future, but maybe another team outbids NE).  Obviously, the guy who Denver thinks will still be available isn't someone they like & it's likely they don't like much after the 1st 2 or 3 who will be long gone by #9.    

I totally get what you are saying BUT if the Broncos don't want a QB this year then with Von Miller coming back and either Lock or

Bridgewater as QB they will win just enough games to keep out of the QB draft position for the next couple of years.

It seems to me they are in "QB Purgatory" and IF they are going to draft a QB then the Bridgewater trade was foolish and they should of 

waited until they picked to do it

IMO

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Interesting. Likely takes them out of the 1st round quarterback market.

I'll forever LOL at Elway for passing on Allen and then taking Drew Lock the next year.

I would think that it puts Carolina definitely IN the QB in the First Round market.

With less high picks in the coming two years, they HAVE to, they can't put all their cards on Sam.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Seasons1992 said:

Without reading pages two and three, does everyone realize that Elway is NOT the GM of this team any longer?

LOL most posters on the Bronco boards are calling this an Elway move.  No one knows who is calling the shots.

Broncos have too much talent on offense to waste away with Teddy bridgewater and Drew Lock.

Sutton, Jeudy, KJ Hamler, Noah Fant and Melvin Gordon is legit potential. If Fields is there at 9, they'd be insane not to take him