Broncos acquire QB Teddy Bridgewater for 6th round pick

Logic

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Interesting. Likely takes them out of the 1st round quarterback market.

I'll forever LOL at Elway for passing on Allen and then taking Drew Lock the next year.

Yes/No as he only has a $5 million cap hit if cut next offseason so they could take a kid to groom behind him. 

Just now, Virgil said:

Damn, a 6th and replaced by Darnold.  What happened to this kid? 

He was only a game manager prior to his injury in 2016 and think it cost him development time. 

Darn it, darn it, darn it. 

My final mock which I am finalising to publish in the morning included the line "The Broncos have talked about competition for Drew Lock but I don't believe it comes in the first round of the NFL draft. Much more likely is a trade with the Carolina Panthers to acquire Teddy Bridgewater to allow the new GM to assess Lock in 2021 before taking a decision about the future at the position."

They stole my thunder!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 10

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Damn, a 6th and replaced by Darnold.  What happened to this kid? 

Huh? When was he ever good? 

Also this trade makes 0 sense for Denver. Why trade for a guy no better than Lock? Either draft a guy in the first round or let it ride with what they have. 

Edited by Process
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

I'll forever LOL at Elway for passing on Allen and then taking Drew Lock the next year.

To be fair to ELway, Chubb was rated much higher than Allen as a player and the thought of him paired with Miller made a ton of sense at the time. But yeah, I’m sure Elway can’t be happy in retrospect. As are several teams that passed on Allen, I’m sure.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Darn it, darn it, darn it. 

My final mock which I am finalising to publish in the morning included the line "The Broncos have talked about competition for Drew Lock but I don't believe it comes in the first round of the NFL draft. Much more likely is a trade with the Carolina Panthers to acquire Teddy Bridgewater to allow the new GM to assess Lock in 2021 before taking a decision about the future at the position."

They stole my thunder!!!

Gunstradamus

2 minutes ago, Justin C said:

The Broncos always seem to be a year off when it comes to drafting QBs. And from what I have read next year's QB class is not as good as this one.

Agreed.

And again: In 2018, they were in need of a QB, and Josh Allen played college ball just two hours drive from Denver. He was right in the Broncos' own back yard. But for some reason, for the first and only time in his life, John Elway decided NOT to draft a big, strong, fast kid with a howitzer for an arm -- only to turn around the next year and draft the bargain basement version of Allen instead. 

I'll never, ever understand it, but will always be thankful it happened.

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

To be fair to ELway, Chubb was rated much higher than Allen as a player and the thought of him paired with Miller made a ton of sense at the time. But yeah, I’m sure Elway can’t be happy in retrospect. As are several teams that passed on Allen, I’m sure.

Yeah. And Chubb is a good player. But the old adage that unless you have a franchise QB, all other needs are secondary would seem to apply here. Clearly, they didn't think Allen could be a franchise guy, and they obviously weren't alone. Oh well. The Bills were the beneficiary of that wrongheaded decision.

• Like (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

There's no way that Teddy B and the 6th round pick they gave up takes them out of the QB market if someone falls to them.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

And again: In 2018, they were in need of a QB, and Josh Allen played college ball just two hours drive from Denver. He was right in the Broncos' own back yard. But for some reason, for the first and only time in his life, John Elway decided NOT to draft a big, strong, fast kid with a howitzer for an arm -- only to turn around the next year and draft the bargain basement version of Allen instead. 

I'll never, ever understand it, but will always be thankful it happened.

I can only think he was scarred by the Brocketship and Paxton Lynch. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Process said:

Huh? When was he ever good? 

Also this trade makes 0 sense for Denver. Why trade for a guy no better than Lock? Either draft a guy in the first round or let it ride with what they have. 

Exactly.  Good grief at least have the trade ready to go and wait to see what happens on draft night.

If they end up drafting a QB they just threw away $3M and a 6th rounder!

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

It shouldn't take them out of the QB market, but it probably will

As to the bolded. You know the old saying. When you have Case Keenum, you gotta draft a DE, so you can Trade Keenum for Joe Flacco and Drew Lock and then get destroyed on National TV by the QB you passed on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1