Ben Allbright’s annual mock draft has Bills taking Etienne at 30. He’s been right about where Bills are looking several years running.

Logic

41 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

if we hang tight and get him at 30 im good but like others say if we trade up im gonna be a little pissed.  but if he comes in and puts up 1500-1800 all purpose yards and 13 tds like kamara does we will forget about it pretty quick.

There is just no way he does anything close to that.  McD as a coach limits significantly the rookies because the NFL season is longer and more intense.  

He has tended to give them very little responsibility until week 5 or 6 - so the season is closer to the college season.

With RBs in particular- the expectation that he can run correct routes, but more importantly pick up blitzes when needed - especially in play action scenarios is crucial and ETN is a bad, bad blocker. 

I would expect very limited play out of ETN even if drafted because they will not trust him in the backfield.  He will see some time spread out, but I don’t think they will use him as much as people think based upon their history.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He was a bust imo.  

Are you hoping for Etienne?  

since I started scouting this draft class, my thoughts on drafting Etienne has been a roller coaster.  

At first, I thought he would be a great pick and wanted him regardless of my thoughts on 1st rd rbs.  I thought picking 30th was like a 2nd rd pick and his skill set is perfect for our needs.  

Then I fell in love with Kenneth Gainwell and would rather take him in rd 2-3 and use our 1st on a CB/DE/WR.  Drafting a Rb in rd 1 was again, a no no.

now, after watching more and more of his tape, I’m starting to feel like he’d be the perfect compliment to our offense and could be just what the Dr ordered.  Take it to the house.....that’s what he does.  That’s what we need.

He’s not my first choice.....but I’d be very excited if he is our pick.  As fans, that’s all we can ask for.  To be excited. Etienne is that

This is exactly what my experience as well. If we had these threads not even a month ago, I'd be posting differently. Heck, even last week.

But after hearing the rumors, from so many different outlets, I went back and watched Etienne film with this in mind. And he really does look like a player Beane would move mountains to add to this offense.

I'm just as happy with a CB, WR, OL. The only reason I shy away from DE is because of the lack of talent in this draft. But if Beane went there then I trust he knows something I dont.

I still feel deep down that when the pick comes up, CB will give us the BPA left on the board. But this talk about ETN this week sure has been fun.

• Agree 2

BPA.   check.      Biggest improvement to the team.  check.  Improves our offense on 33% of the plays.  check.  Speedy enough to be a wide receiver and is a good pass receiver  check

His 40 speed is listed as 4.46

On one draft board, the top 10 wide receivers have 40 times of 4.40...4.45...4.45...4.44,,,,4.51.....4.48....4.50....4.45.....4.45.....4.49.  six were faster, usually by 0.01 second and 4 were slower.  Imagine lining up on the outside and having him defended by a big safety (all are about 0.1 second slower) or a linebacker (there are 2 freaks who are faster but all others are a few tenths of a second slower). D.Singletary ran 4.66 verus a 4.46

I see no reason why people shouldn't consider him an assist to the passing game as much as just a better RB.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Imagine lining up on the outside and having him defended by a big safety (all are about 0.1 second slower) or a linebacker (there are 2 freaks who are faster but all others are a few tenths of a second slower).

This is one thing I've thought about quite a bit since the "ETN to the Bills" rumor started:

The Bills lined up in 11 personnel (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR) empty formations A TON in 2021. Because the HB split out wide was Moss or Singletary, though, they were basically a non-factor in most pass plays that followed. Imagine being able to come out in 11 and 10 personnel empty sets, as they seem to love to do, but actually having that HB split out wide be a legitimate threat, a legitimately useful part of the play. They could essentially come out in 10 or 11 personnel on every play and then, based on the defensive personnel, either line up in more of a pro set to attack a light defense or an empty set to attack a base defense.

TL;DR: a player like Etienne could greatly increase the potency of the Bills passing game in addition to its run game. Specifically, it can increase the lethality of the Bills' much-loved empty sets.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I've gotten so excited with the idea of drafting Etienne that I'm practically going to be disappointed if he isn't the pick. He is the perfect solution to the way KC defended us. If they want to mug our receivers and drop into deep zones, Etienne will abuse their LBs. IMO he is the only player that we could take at 30 who would immediately improve our chances of beating KC.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

BPA.   check.      Biggest improvement to the team.  check.  Improves our offense on 33% of the plays.  check.  Speedy enough to be a wide receiver and is a good pass receiver  check

His 40 speed is listed as 4.46

On one draft board, the top 10 wide receivers have 40 times of 4.40...4.45...4.45...4.44,,,,4.51.....4.48....4.50....4.45.....4.45.....4.49.  six were faster, usually by 0.01 second and 4 were slower.  Imagine lining up on the outside and having him defended by a big safety (all are about 0.1 second slower) or a linebacker (there are 2 freaks who are faster but all others are a few tenths of a second slower). D.Singletary ran 4.66 verus a 4.46

I see no reason why people shouldn't consider him an assist to the passing game as much as just a better RB.

Agree with this synopsis and adding the possibility of a punt returner too.  Never paid much attention to him in that role but saw that in highlights too.  Is he sure handed?  

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Which 1st round picks other than Allen has he gotten correct? He didn’t have Oliver in 2019. Did he have the 2017 pick of Tre white?

In 2019 he predicted Wilkins because Oliver was already taken in his mock, but the position he had right. Last year he said the Bills were looking very closely at all the 1st round WRs, before we traded for Diggs. He does seem to know what the Bills are looking into.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ugh.  I can’t believe I hope we draft Etienne again.....I hate you guys

It's been a wild ride for me, too.

I'm usually very against the idea of drafting a running back in round 1, but I can't pretend like he wouldn't instantly make the Bills more explosive on offense. I watched every year of his highlights, and lost count of the amount of his 30+ yard TD runs/catches where I said to myself "if that were Moss or Singletary, he would've been caught and tackled at about the 12 yard mark".

Also, a run on defensive ends and cornerbacks might make him legitimately the best player left on the board. In the mock on which this thread is based, for instance, the board falls in such a way that it's hard to argue that any of the players left would definitely be better value than Etienne at 30.

At the end of the day, it's a playmaker's league. KC has a bunch of them on offense. We have one. Wouldn't hurt to add another.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm not that big of a college football fan so I have to ask those who know.

Is Newsome the type of CB that fits into McDermott's schemes?

Is he at least a top of the 2nd round pick?

I do not know if anyone answered your ? But here goes.

If Newsome plays opposite t white than the bills d will be able to do many things.

Play man on the edges.

Play cover 2 and 3

Play more aggressive tight coverage 

Re like kc did in the afccg

Play on the line of scrimmage not 10 yards off the Wallace does.

Coach likes players that can play several positions 

My best thought are be a piece of clay and coach can mold it to what he wants

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gotme365 said:

Drafting a RB will definitely help with getting pressure on Mahomes and beating the improved Chiefs o-line

Pass rush isn't the only reason we lost to KC. Tampa Bay obviously did have an excellent pass rush, but not enough credit is given to their LBs for keeping Kelce in check. In our game Mahomes was getting rid of the ball before any pass rush would have had a chance of getting to him, mostly because Edmunds was hopelessly lost in coverage.

You know the best way to beat the Chiefs? Build up a lead early and run out the clock. We can't score 24 points and expect to beat them. Adding to the offense will realistically give us a better chance against them than any possible addition on defense.

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

I seem to remember Jerry Butler being pretty good.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Jerry Butler says hi. 

2 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

Perry Tuttle

I guess I should’ve just called it the curse of Spiller and Watkins.

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Pass rush isn't the only reason we lost to KC. Tampa Bay obviously did have an excellent pass rush, but not enough credit is given to their LBs for keeping Kelce in check. In our game Mahomes was getting rid of the ball before any pass rush would have had a chance of getting to him, mostly because Edmunds was hopelessly lost in coverage.

You know the best way to beat the Chiefs? Build up a lead early and run out the clock. We can't score 24 points and expect to beat them. Adding to the offense will realistically give us a better chance against them than any possible addition on defense.

Mahomes was getting the ball out in under 3 seconds most of the game....we need to also do a better job of disguising the coverage.