Multiple teams think Caleb Farley will need more surgery, he’s likely to fall out of 1st round, per Benjamin Allbright

Logic

If this is true (and Allbright is usually pretty sharp, so I bet it is), I wonder when would be the appropriate time to draft him. Even if he doesn’t contribute much in 2021, if he’s expected to make a full recovery, he could be a hell of a value pick on day two.

I wonder who else will fall out of round one based on medical questions. I read yesterday that Azeez Ojulari might be in that category.

Gonna be an interesting few days!

Edited by Logic
  • Thank you (+1) 4

• Logic changed the title to Multiple teams think Caleb Farley will need more surgery, he’s likely to fall out of 1st round, per Benjamin Allbright
17 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

Willis McGahee didn't work out too well.  Was it Shaq Lawson that had the shoulder?

Is this a joke? McGahee played for 10 season, multiple 1000 yard seasons and multiple pro bowls.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2

It's fine to think he'll drop a bit, but wrong to "take him off your board."

He is easily the best corner in the draft, minus the injuries. An appropriate landing spot for him is 20-30.

Gronk had similar back problems and back surgeries in college and he plays a position that takes more hits.

Also, does it seem a little suspicious to anyone else that the day before the draft a journalist is "hearing from anonymous sources" that an elite player will need more surgeries and is broken forever - so definitely don't take him in the 1st?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

It's fine to think he'll drop a bit, but wrong to "take him off your board."

He is easily the best corner in the draft, minus the injuries. An appropriate landing spot for him is 20-30.

Gronk had similar back problems and back surgeries in college and he plays a position that takes more hits.

Also, does it seem a little suspicious to anyone else that the day before the draft a journalist is "hearing from anonymous sources" that an elite player will need more surgeries and is broken forever - so definitely don't take him in the 1st?

To be fair, It’s been said that Farley would fall down draft boards for a while now.

I read at least a week ago that teams suspect that he is being overly optimistic in stating that he’ll be ready for training camp. I believe it was Albert Breer’s MMQB column that pointed out that team doctors have different opinions of Farley’s recovery outlook than Farley’s camp does.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, jletha said:

Is this a joke? McGahee played for 10 season, multiple 1000 yard seasons and multiple pro bowls.

I'm guessing the original comment was made because it was a stupid pick for the Bills, not necessarily a stupid pick in a vacuum.  The Bills had all sorts of needs, didn't really need an RB and made what was in essence a luxury pick that a team coming off a Super Bowl victory might make.  For example, Dallas Clark was available when McGahee was picked.  Not a great blocker but he would have gone down as best TE in Bills' history.

15 minutes ago, Logic said:

To be fair, It’s been said that Farley would fall down draft boards for a while now.

I read at least a week ago that teams suspect that he is being overly optimistic in stating that he’ll be ready for training camp. I believe it was Albert Breer’s MMQB column that pointed out that team doctors have different opinions of Farley’s recovery outlook than Farley’s camp does.

Yes, he has been falling down the draft boards from a top 10 lock to top 20-30 due to injury.

Now, the day before the draft, we're hearing anonymous reports that he has SERIOUS medical concerns and will drop to the second round?

I think it's more likely that teams want him in the 20-range and are trying to drive his value down vs Albert Breer's anonymous sources being right.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, MarkyMannn said:

Willis McGahee didn't work out too well.  Was it Shaq Lawson that had the shoulder?

I live close to Clemson. The Bills totally missed the medical on Lawson. Everyone here on the local sports radio knew that he would need shoulder surgery but the Bills totally missed it. Sure enough, he needed surgery and his rookie season was a bust.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I'm guessing the original comment was made because it was a stupid pick for the Bills, not necessarily a stupid pick in a vacuum.  The Bills had all sorts of needs, didn't really need an RB and made what was in essence a luxury pick that a team coming off a Super Bowl victory might make.  For example, Dallas Clark was available when McGahee was picked.  Not a great blocker but he would have gone down as best TE in Bills' history.

Well this thread is about a player getting drafted after a major injury...so forgive me for assuming they were referencing McGahee's knee injury since they also mentioned another player we drafted that had injury history. But perhaps they meant something else.