Catchin' Fades with Aqib Talib(Jordan Palmer talks Josh Allen and qb prospects)

So this was a really cool 45 minute watch! Jordan touches on how the game and development of teen qb's has evolved. He touches on this years prospects and also talks about certain locker room dynamics some of them might bring. At the 42 minute mark, when their josh allen convo starts, its hard trying to wipe the smile from my face. Jordan talks about how he's worked with Watson and Mahomes, as well as playing with his brother(Carson), Jay cutler, and Jamarcus russell when he was younger. He settles on Allen being the most physically gifted qb ever, and having the strongest arm he's ever seen. Basically says theres never been a total package in the league like Allen. He then touches on how much the team loves him. If you have the time its a good watch from start to finish.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Hard to argue. I mean I compared him to Cam Newton based on his running ability and I wasn't even that high on him as a prospect. They were similar runners, and we know how good a runner Cam. Then his release is comparable to Aaron Rodgers. He makes throws from any position. Then his arm strength is as good as anyone. I think the question was could he put it all together. The answer is yes, but we haven't even seen his best yet. 

John Elway is probably everyone's most talented QB ever in terms of the whole package, size, arm, and athleticism but he wasn't the runner Allen is. He could run but not the same. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Hard to argue. I mean I compared him to Cam Newton based on his running ability and I wasn't even that high on him as a prospect. They were similar runners, and we know how good a runner Cam. Then his release is comparable to Aaron Rodgers. He makes throws from any position. Then his arm strength is as good as anyone. I think the question was could he put it all together. The answer is yes, but we haven't even seen his best yet. 

John Elway is probably everyone's most talented QB ever in terms of the whole package, size, arm, and athleticism but he wasn't the runner Allen is. He could run but not the same. 

Agreed. Palmer brings up Elway as the knee jerk response but then states he doesnt think he was the runner Allen is. Speed? Maybe. But actual running ability? nah.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Agreed. Palmer brings up Elway as the knee jerk response but then states he doesnt think he was the runner Allen is. Speed? Maybe. But actual running ability? nah.

I caught some of this on Twitter and Palmer specifically mentioned Josh's stiff arm and how he uses it.  I have made comments on it over Josh's career.  He has used it against many notable defenders in some impressive, posterizing moments.  Barr, Ngakoue, Van Noy, Donald to name a few.  I can't think of another NFL QB I have ever seen do this as consistently, if at all.  Just hope he does it with his left hand to protect his right.  My analogy is to say that Josh could stiff arm a T-Rex and push him to the turf.   It's not like Palmer gushes this way over Darnold or Stidham or any of the other QBs he has worked with so I don't think it's anything more than a small portion of a hustle.

• Like (+1) 2

I remember the night we drafted Allen. I was moving the next day from Rochester to NC and had to wake up super early to leave. I tried to go to bed early but was too excited about who we were going to draft. I remember checking my phone and seeing Josh, getting excited, then seeing Allen and wanting to puke. Same old Bills was my thought.

The next day on my drive I listened to the morning show on WGR and Palmer was on talking about Josh. The passion he had when talking about Josh made me feel better right away. So far, Josh is proving him right, and I know I'm loving the ride!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Chris from Rochester said:

I remember the night we drafted Allen. I was moving the next day from Rochester to NC and had to wake up super early to leave. I tried to go to bed early but was too excited about who we were going to draft. I remember checking my phone and seeing Josh, getting excited, then seeing Allen and wanting to puke. Same old Bills was my thought.

The next day on my drive I listened to the morning show on WGR and Palmer was on talking about Josh. The passion he had when talking about Josh made me feel better right away. So far, Josh is proving him right, and I know I'm loving the ride!

I think it was the result of "most pro ready" vs. "best tools but needs the most development" tags each had.  The Bills have had little success developing any QB, maybe ever.  Jim Kelly was already a star in the USFL.  Joe Ferguson, maybe, as he had some nice years on those Chuck Knox teams. Given the Bills history of QB failures,when two prospects are presented to the Bills fan base that way, I would not fault anyone for picking the one comes more "developed" and not willing to trust the coaching/player to get it done.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I gotta say when Josh was drafted i was not a fan & had another QB i thought was better in that draft well so much for my NFL scouting career if i had to hang my hat on the one i chose i would already be fired and out of work . 

Josh has definitely proved a lot of nay sayers wrong given what he has done although i didn't know any thing about him coming out i just listened to the experts & made my decision I'm glad Beane is in charge and picked Josh & it looks like given Palmer's endorsement Josh will be the class of that draft for a long time to come .

Go Bills !!  

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

For anyone out there that hasn't heard this strong a take on Josh's physical talents before you really need to take the time to watch Trent Dilfer & John Brenkus on the Rich Eisen Show discuss their "Soul and Science" take on the QB's pre 2018 draft. ***Spoiler Alert*** Josh Allen needs a little time to develop but he is like nothing like they've ever seen. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I may be alone in this but I wish Jordan Palmer would STFU about Josh

I feel the opposite.  What Palmer has discussed has usually been a foreshadow of what's to come.  Since he seems to be a popular, available guest for all the different NFL media platforms out there, I suspect we will see more of it.  The ones to look for are those coming in the normal Super Bowl media week when Jordan is hyping Josh on the worldwide stage.😉

• Thank you (+1) 1

This is a good time to "consider the source", but that doesn't mean I don't like what I see/hear.

Edit: Although a reasonable counter point is that Palmer would be taking credit away from himself by touting Allen as naturally gifted over being molded (not that both can't be true).

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

This is a good time to "consider the source", but that doesn't mean I don't like what I see/hear.

The source also stated he’s worked with Watson and mahomes in some capacity. He had a Watson jersey sitting there on his wall as well. Palmer has no real need to make the claims he’s making about Allen. He’s a made man already. He doesn’t need to just sit there a sugarcoat or for business purposes. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why would he? Josh Allen is a success story for his business.

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why would he? Josh Allen is a success story for his business.

Yes...I'm pretty sure Jordan has a waiting list at this point and can demand top dollar all cause of his success with Josh.

Also people should appreciate Jordan, even tho it's impossible to measure how much credit he should get...its clear he has positively impacted Josh's game and we as Bills fans finally have a contender because of it.

You can't be upset about him emphasizing his biggest success story when this is clearly what he is doing for a living right now.

LONG LIVE JORDAN PALMER!

• Agree 2

Has anyone heard about Allen's offseason work this year?  It seems we always get reports about working with Palmer or working with receivers, and I haven't heard anything this year.  It's probably because there is less focus since he has made it....but I just worry slightly that he is losing that chip on that shoulder and not trying as hard to progress.

• Like (+1) 1