How Much Can You Really Develop a Quarterback in the NFL?

jletha

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

instincts are what you cannot do without

I know there will be Stevie critics here but he had 3 straight 1000 yard games for Buffalo.

Stevie Johnson was a player with incredible instincts who needed right coaching and QB to display.

Most coaches would just say 'run the route as designed" and if he did that he would have been extremely limited.

Chan told him to be at certain spots at certain time and run the route how you best see it and he blew Darrelle Revis, who was top CB at time, out of the water. It helps that Ryan Fitzpatrick is an extremely intelligent QB and can anticipate some of the moves.

https://vault.si.com/vault/2013/11/04/the-case-for-stevie-johnson

Week 13: Film Session - Stevie Johnson

Thurman breaks down some film of Stevie Johnson's big day against Darelle Revis

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/week-13-film-session-stevie-johnson-6415402

Bills fans don't want to admit that they bough Doug Marrone, and sided with him and EJ Manuel because it leaked that they wanted an easier target for EJ. 

That's why they drafted Watkins in 2014. He was supposed to prop up EJ. 

The reality is every prospect has a range of outcomes, and both landing spot and coaching—along with individual growth—help determine how good or bad a player becomes. Allen seems to have landed in the perfect situation to hit the high end of his potential. But perhaps if he’d gone third overall to the Jets in 2018 and been coached by Adam Gase, you would not be reading this story.

That would have been really scary for Allen to have to play for G👀se!

Note: Better title but duplicate.

Some have mentioned this, and it's been controversial, but I think there is something to be said about Josh letting his emotions get to him a bit. This would explain his inconsistency in college and during his first 2 seasons in the NFL.

When he feels like he has to do it all (Hero Ball), he get a little over-hyped and starts missing throws. So he's never been "inaccurate" per se.

I'm not saying that this explains everything, but the environment in 2020 was different, and I think it played at least a small part in his growth. I mean his improvement from year 2 to year 3 is something that the NFL hasn't seen before. "You can't coach accuracy" has been an old NFL adage.

Having playmakers certainly helped his cause. So has his work ethic, intelligence, and coachability. All of these things, I think, were factors in his ridiculous improvement.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I like this quote from the PFF guy  “A lot of guys come in with his profile,” Renner says. “Not a lot of guys have turned into Josh Allen.” It is great to have our very own unicorn.

the quote is so wrong though, no one comes in with Josh’s profile (I.e. size speed and arm strength)

but cheers on us having our unicorn!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

He was only accurate because there were no fans in the stands.  

Whenever I see Twitter idiots try to make that claim with a straight face, I ask "So QBs can only ever play well at home then?"  Coulda sworn Josh had at least a couple good games on the road his sophomore season with us, and that was before he got really good.

40 minutes ago, Fortunesmith said:

I will disagree a little bit that it's that much different training to throw than it is to shoot a basketball.    Todays best shooters in basketball train to make shots in many different ways, off-balance/platform and from ranges like never before.    The best QB's make a lot of their throws with very repetitive mechanics like a traditional jump shooter.   I've seen video of Joe Montana making certain throws right along side Tom Brady making the throw and it's near identical.....you could almost super-impose them over top of each other.    Practice/repetition can absolutely improve accuracy and hopefully Allen is working on his touch and timing on deep throws and takes his deep ball to that next level this year.

16 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I like this quote from the PFF guy  “A lot of guys come in with his profile,” Renner says. “Not a lot of guys have turned into Josh Allen.” It is great to have our very own unicorn.

image.png.288ef98f3082c991c303d009288561b1.png

• Like (+1) 1