Former NFL, Argos running back Karlos Williams retires from professional football

On 4/27/2021 at 8:26 PM, The Firebaugh Kid said:

Broke by 2027. Bank on it. 

He's most likely broke now.  Most of these guys who don't get a nice 2nd contract are in rough shape.  Let alone one with 8 kids and no college degree.

Edited by soflabillsfan1

On 4/28/2021 at 3:41 AM, thenorthremembers said:

Shouldnt take that long.    He only made 730,000 as a football player and he hasnt collected a football check in five years now.

True. But I think sometimes we get so used to talking about these crazy athlete salaries that we lose sight of how much money that is.

He played one year in the NFL, and presumably collected more salary while out (legitimately) injured.

So that's $730,000 by the age of about 24.

Adjusting for inflation, looking back at my 20s, it took me about 9 or 10 years to earn that much in total. And that came with a pretty significant student loan burden.

It's a tough, physically demanding job with a really short lifespan. But it is handsomely compensated. 

18 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

True. But I think sometimes we get so used to talking about these crazy athlete salaries that we lose sight of how much money that is.

He played one year in the NFL, and presumably collected more salary while out (legitimately) injured.

So that's $730,000 by the age of about 24.

Adjusting for inflation, looking back at my 20s, it took me about 9 or 10 years to earn that much in total. And that came with a pretty significant student loan burden.

It's a tough, physically demanding job with a really short lifespan. But it is handsomely compensated. 

It is a lot of money, but one thing to keep in mind with Karlos is he has seven children.   I believe two of them are from the first lady he had children with.   He made 365,000 a year for two years he played.   Given that salary his child support is probably upwards of 3k a month.    I am sure its been adjusted since he went back to regular work, last I read he was hanging drywall while he wasnt playing football.

He was compensated handsomely but he also wasnt living the average life of a person in his twenties.     He probably wasnt driving a 1997 Chevy Lumina, renting a crap hole apartment, eating ramen, and wearing clothes from Wal-Mart.   With 7 kids, and nice things 730,000 in the bank isnt lifetime money. 

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It is a lot of money, but one thing to keep in mind with Karlos is he has seven children.   I believe two of them are from the first lady he had children with.   He made 365,000 a year for two years he played.   Given that salary his child support is probably upwards of 3k a month.    I am sure its been adjusted since he went back to regular work, last I read he was hanging drywall while he wasnt playing football.

He was compensated handsomely but he also wasnt living the average life of a person in his twenties.     He probably wasnt driving a 1997 Chevy Lumina, renting a crap hole apartment, eating ramen, and wearing clothes from Wal-Mart.   With 7 kids, and nice things 730,000 in the bank isnt lifetime money. 

Well, 7 kids? That's on him ...

On 4/27/2021 at 11:54 PM, Da webster guy said:

Damn Karlos, we hardly knew ye

If he's still with the same girl he was with in Buffalo, I hope he doesn't resent her for not pushing him to stay in shape, work hard and be the best athlete he could be.

I sure would.

Seriously?  You fail to take yourself and your career seriously, and you hate someone else and think it's their fault?  Sick puppy!