Are teams overthinking the quarterback class this year? Is Justin Fields QB2?

Logic

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Haha... I don't put it past the NFL, low-key, asking the Niners to play it coy with their pick - especially given the almost certainty of Jax/NYJ.

Exactly.  The 49ers have absolutely no reason to be so secretive.  

They could announce their player this afternoon, and it would change nothing.

If you factor in 10-15 minutes of introduction, and then 10 minutes on the clock for each pick (teams always use the majority of their time)... then fans have no reason to tune-in until 7:30-7:45pm (I'm in CST).  That's a total ratings waste for the NFL.  Not to mention all the gambling/betting that is going on with the #3 pick.

4 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Is Fields the guy who transferred because he could not beat out Fromm?

Is mahomes the guy who couldn’t beat out Davis Webb for a straight two years until he got injured?

Did the last 3 #1 overall picks at Qb transfer? Yes, by god they did. It’s almost like it’s common when big programs bring in 5 star qB recruits every year. 

Do you think Kirby Smart do do do do doooooo should have stuck with noodle arm Fromm? 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We finally have our Josh/franchise and for once in a long time don’t have to worry about that position , 

I sure as hell don’t give a 🐀 a** I hope 10 QB’s go in the first round and ALL ARE BUSTS  !!!

GO BILLS BABY !!! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Is mahomes the guy who couldn’t beat out Davis Webb for a straight two years until he got injured?

Did the last 3 #1 overall picks at Qb transfer? Yes, by god they did. It’s almost like it’s common when big programs bring in 5 star qB recruits every year. 

Do you think Kirby Smart do do do do doooooo should have stuck with noodle arm Fromm? 

Kirby tried to bring "classic" Alabama football to UGA and stuck with Fromm over Fields.

Meanwhile, Saban evolved and moved to a dynamic passer with Tua and left Kirby/UGA in the dust.

If he could go back, I wonder if Kirby doesnt try to make Fields work instead.

I'd take Lance 2nd. Take the guy with the most tools and develop him. Swing for the fences if you are picking that high, especially if they all have things that arent perfect. I think Lance goes 3 to the Niners. Also, If the Niners gave up that much for a guy whose pro comp is Kirk Cousins, I think they are idiots

Fields probably isnt judged as harshly in NFL circles. Media loves a good story, but I havent gotten the vibe from NFL teams that Fields isnt highly rated 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Kirby tried to bring "classic" Alabama football to UGA and stuck with Fromm over Fields.

Meanwhile, Saban evolved and moved to a dynamic passer with Tua and left Kirby/UGA in the dust.

If he could go back, I wonder if Kirby doesnt try to make Fields work instead.

The issue primarily was UGA’s basic offense. Their OC sucked. I think fields would have transferred even if Kirby pulled the trigger on starting him over Fromm. Fields  chose a place with a former nfl QB coach at the helm who had a wide open offense and would maximize his talents and that’s exactly what happened. He likely wouldn’t have gone to Osu if urban was still there. I’m all over kids being able to own their college careers. 

• Like (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think you were reading into this a bit much but looks like it hit a nerve.

I always hope other teams screw up their draft selections, but that’s just me I guess...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Wilson is the most likely to bust. It is hard picking holes in his 2020 tape.... but he hasn't faced top competition and I just don't trust the Jets. Their failure to build around Sam Darnold is borderline criminal. For that to be the offensive personnel that you give to a guy you traded up to make the face of the franchise by his third year.... to let his best receiver (Robby Anderson) walk, to fail to significantly improve his oline, to give him 87 year old Frank Gore in the backfield..... incompetence in the extreme. 

But in what few games I watched of Wilson he jumped off the screen.  Level of comp is a concern for sure, but some of his off-platform and deceptive throws were dynamite.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I'm kinda bewildered by Fields seemingly sliding. I do think his knack for missing open guys is concerning, . . . .

I feel very confident that in the very least, you get a bigger and more accurate Tyrod Taylor out of him and he has top 10 QB potential. That's a great range of outcomes. I'm not even sure Mac's ceiling is above that baseline.

w/r/t Fields missing open guys (because I havent and dont watch tape, and wouldnt know what to look for anyway except applying the "eye test"), is Fields missing them as in not seeing them or seeing that they count as open, or rather, is he throwing inaccurate passes to validly open guys?

And not to derail the thread, but which ever one it is, is it fixable?  Not seeing them, coming from basically a Pro team as OSU with Pro coaches, seems not nearly as fixable to me if its still a problem after all that.

Edited by maddenboy

20 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

w/r/t Fields missing open guys (because I havent and dont watch tape, and wouldnt know what to look for anyway except applying the "eye test"), is Fields missing them as in not seeing them or seeing that they count as open, or rather, is he throwing inaccurate passes to validly open guys?

And not to derail the thread, but which ever one it is, is it fixable?  Not seeing them, coming from basically a Pro team as OSU with Pro coaches, seems not nearly as fixable to me if its still a problem after all that.

Not sure if it's flat out not seeing them or seeing them and just not wanting to make the throw for whatever reason, but I'm talking about guys running wide open that he just doesn't throw the ball to. Very similar to what a lot of people complained about with Tyrod Taylor here. When he does let it rip, he's the most accurate passer in the class.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Fields is being slightly over thought - yes. Though obviously the medical concern about his epilepsy is a factor too.

But frankly I think QBs #2, #3 & #4 in this class are all really close. It comes down to scheme fit and style preference for me. And then obviously it will come down to how each team supports and develops their guy.

We can only hope the Jets take the best of the rest, then ruin him! 

I’d rather face the best QB’s in the Super Bowl. Seems like a lot of good young QB’s are landing in the AFC like Allen, Mahomes, Lamar, Trevor Lawrence, Herbert, Burrow, Watson (?), Wilson (?), Mayfield (?), etc. Seems the older guys are more in the NFC like Brady, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees (now retired). Plenty of exceptions, of course, but I’d prefer the top guys be mostly in the NFC.