Bucky Brooks Suggests Ravens Should Pick Fields

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

They are going to continue to build around Jackson.

That might be their downfall. Jackson is an elite athlete but will he ever become a complete NFL QB? All the knocks on Josh Allen apply to him as well.

This means 2 things to me, neither of which have anything to do with Lamar Jackson or Justin Fields...

1. The media has run out of legitimate talking points to discuss pre-draft. 
  2. The media (or at least NFLN) is convinced the 49ers are now taking Mac Jones.
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, glazeduck said:

This means 2 things to me, neither of which have anything to do with Lamar Jackson or Justin Fields...

1. The media has run out of legitimate talking points to discuss pre-draft. 
  2. The media (or at least NFLN) is convinced the 49ers are now taking Mac Jones.

Based on the comments about Jimmy G I'm convinced they're going with Jones too.  Drafting Lance guarantees Jimmy sticks around and Fields, though he has more experience at a higher level, isn't exactly a day one guy either.

45 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

He doesn't.  But in theory, if Fields lasted to pick 8, they could give Carolina both of their firsts and a couple other picks.  This assumes that Carolina doesn't have a competing offer and doesn't mind moving down that far, both of which seem unlikely.

Carolina is taking Fields at 8 in that scenario.  No question.

Regardless, "Graduating"  Jackson for the next Tua doesn't make much sense, Bucky.

55 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Based on the comments about Jimmy G I'm convinced they're going with Jones too.  Drafting Lance guarantees Jimmy sticks around and Fields, though he has more experience at a higher level, isn't exactly a day one guy either.

It really shouldn't. Lance is more pro-ready than anyone outside of Lawrence IMO, particularly for what Shanahan wants to do with his offense.

The team that really should have tried the graduating QBs idea was the Rams. McVay really just needs a robot that will make the throws he tells them to make; that isn't all that hard to find. They screwed the pooch giving Goff the contract they did.

If the Ravens were to try it (which they won't), it would mean rebuilding the entire offense around the new QB's skillset. Nobody can replicate what Lamar does for better or worse and that includes Fields.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

In his final mock draft released today, he has the Bills taking CB Caleb Farley. ♥️ :beer:

https://www.nfl.com/news/bucky-brooks-2021-nfl-mock-draft-3-0-49ers-pick-trey-lance-najee-harris-to-cardi?icampaign=nflweb-push-webnotification

image.thumb.png.150300c6f183ad0a7534d2e325911efe.png

I don’t see it. Beane was pretty upfront that guys with medical red flags pose a concern for them since they could not physically examine them. Maybe they think 30 is an ok spot even with that piece in mind.  but I would be surprised. 

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t see it. Beane was pretty upfront that guys with medical red flags pose a concern for them since they could not physically examine them. Maybe they think 30 is an ok spot even with that piece in mind.  but I would be surprised. 

It's one man's mock and it only takes one GM to fall in love with the player. Despite his medicals, I would be more surprised if Farley actually lasted until 30 than I would if Beane took him at 30.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

It's one man's mock and it only takes one GM to fall in love with the player. Despite his medicals, I would be more surprised if Farley actually lasted until 30 than I would if Beane took him at 30.

I think he will either be taken ahead of 30 or after 30 but not at 30... if he’s there at 30 I think if would be a red flag on top of the red flag and validates the medical concern Beane already has because other teams passed too. He just seemed so uninterested in the medically flagged group. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he will either be taken ahead of 30 or after 30 but not at 30... if he’s there at 30 I think if would be a red flag on top of the red flag and validates the medical concern Beane already has because other teams passed too. He just seemed so uninterested in the medically flagged group. 

I don't disagree with your last sentence. I'm just not completely buying 'hook, line, and sinker' everything being said or intimated at this time of year. We may never know for sure as there is a good chance that Farley is gone by 30. If he's there and they pass, then that is at least a better indicator that Beane was being truthful. I just don't believe that they'll summarily dismiss the option at 30 for a player at a premium position who could potentially end up being the best CB in the draft. Regardless, if he's there, they'll trust their own medicals and vetting processes when the time comes.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Fields is not a great fit for Roman’s offense ... Lamar is a great fit. They really need to think these things through.

This.  When the Ravens drafted Jackson, Harbaugh has commented they made a strategic decision, they would have to build around him.  And they did.

So now what, they're going to un-build around him and build around someone else?

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  When the Ravens drafted Jackson, Harbaugh has commented they made a strategic decision, they would have to build around him.  And they did.

So now what, they're going to un-build around him and build around someone else?

But they’d have the money to do it.  Plus coach salaries don’t count against the cap.  Paying the best passing game coordinator on the market is far cheaper than paying top dollar to a QB.

Again, I don’t think anyone seriously expects this to happen but it’s a cool idea and it’s far more interesting than most of the draft-related takes the media is spitting out this week.

3 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

This general idea has been floating around for a few years and the obvious flaw is that very few QB prospects have been sure things, historically speaking.  

Opinions on whether Lamar is a "franchise QB" aside - if the Ravens see him as one then they will pay him because a QB in the hand is worth five in the draft, and realistically you can only get one.

As it stands Lamar is a better athlete than Fields and hasn't made it past the divisional round - why would the Ravens think Fields could get them more?

There is a theory on this.  With second contract top qbs are pushing $30 million + per year.  Try to draft a top qb every 3 - 4 years and let the starting qb walk.  The cap savings is enormous and you could build up and keep intack the rest of your team.  It is not a coincidence that the seahawks have not made it to the super bowl since they gave Wilson the big contract.   There is two thing though where that theory goes to crap.  First, it is so hard to hit on a top tier qb & 2 if you already have a top tier qb chances are your not picking in the top 10.  It is an interesting theory though but I doubt any gm/coach would have the stones to actually do it.  

• Like (+1) 1

It's an interesting idea and one that I've argued for in the past, but Baltimore is pretty much the last team that should consider doing it. You should do this when you have a coach that basically does the pre-snap work for the QB (like Shanahan and McVay) and a QB that is easily replaceable (like Garappolo and Goff). You don't do it when your QB is maybe the most difficult player in the league to replace as is the case with Lamar.

• Like (+1) 2