McShay- Bills trying to move up above 23 for Etienne

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Remind me again how many Playoff games the Panthers have won with McCaffery?

Remind me again how many Super Bowls the Saints have won riding Kamara (even with an All-Time QB)?

3-4 in the Playoffs since Kamara joined in 2017. 

How many Super Bowls have the Rams won with Aaron Donald? How many playoff wins do the Browns have with Myles Garrett? How many Super Bowls did JJ Watt win with Houston? I guess the takeaway is that elite pass rushers don't matter?

If the Bills had McCaffrey last year they would have 2 playoff wins with McCaffrey, or possibly 3. Are you saying that's not the case?

Look how many Super Bowls the Patriots won with James White. That style of pass catching RB is what this offense is missing to be considered truly elite. As of right now it's all predicated on Josh Allen throwing to his WRs. We need another element.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

How many Super Bowls have the Rams won with Aaron Donald? How many playoff wins do the Browns have with Myles Garrett? How many Super Bowls did JJ Watt win with Houston? I guess the takeaway is that elite pass rushers don't matter?

If the Bills had McCaffrey last year they would have 2 playoff wins with McCaffrey, or possibly 3. Are you saying that's not the case?

Look how many Super Bowls the Patriots won with James White. That style of pass catching RB is what this offense is missing to be considered truly elite. As of right now it's all predicated on Josh Allen throwing to his WRs. We need another element.

Again, individually those players are great. 

It's just the point that Etienne is a "home run hitter" and can be a pass-catching RB. 

As long as the Bills don't become Kamara-dependent like the Saints, or McCaffery dependent like the Panthers, I understand the reasoning. 

I don't think any analyst thinks he's going to come in and rush for 2,000 yards. Baring that, he is a direct replacement for Singletary and Moss, but he doesn't need to be touching the ball 20-22 times a game. 

This is the only part of the pre-draft process I enjoy. I pay almost zero attention to college football, and mock drafts strike me as an incredible waste of time, but all the smoke and mirrors and subterfuge flying around the week of the draft is always fun. 

16 hours ago, ROCBillsBeliever said:

I had watched some of Singletary's college film, prior to the draft, but didn't think we would land him in the 3rd. Thought it was a bit early, but I do really like what he is, when at his best. 

And yeah, ETN's a Swiss army knife, for sure; there's no discounting that. I just cringe at the cost-benefit of taking an RB in the 1st, unless they are so supremely talented (i.e. Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Jim Brown, et al) that you cannot pass them up.

Well, good old Smokescreen Beane has definitely primed the engines for Thursday night; that's for sure!

My personal take: I would be cool with a trade up into the 20's for JC Horn, 25 or later for JOK or Greg Newsome. Other than that, unless someone incredible somehow drops like a rock, you hope there is a 1st round talent at 30, and if not, trade back for more picks in the 2nd - 4th.

I love all of those defensive options.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Figster said:

For the catching and blocking ability of Najee Harris IMO. Process kind of guy. 3 down work horse. Brings a champion mentality that was very instrumental in Saban/ Alabama accomplishments. (Imediate impact on the pass and run game IMO)

I totally get that, and Harris is my RB 1 in the draft, but I don’t see Williams thet far behind. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

I don't disagree with any of this.  You did a great job laying your thoughts out.

The Warren Sharp article that was out last week or so about 1st rd RBs resonated a lot with me and the value is certainly hard to justify.

To be upfront, I really want to address Edge and that looks to be boom or bust at 30, which is fine for where this pick is in such a light draft. I was listening to Howard and Jeremy on the way to work this am, and Jeremy brought up an interesting stat, Mahomes sack rate is 3.6%. Teams get rid of the ball so fast, are we now overvaluing edge in relation to what is traditionally was? It makes me feel like Oweh is who we should be targeting, elite athleticism and if the qb escapes he has the right traits to stop on a dime and circle back around to him to keep the pressure up.

I'm not sure I love the CB value at 30 and I do feel like we need that other offensive weapon, another WR will only take a Diggs, Sanders, Beasley and Davis either off the field or takes a rb out for a 5 wide set. TE isn't an option at 30 and that leaves an RB who is a threat to run and and threat to catch. At this spot you at least have the pick of the litter. I know Sanders is only a 1 year deal, so it makes a little sense from a long term perspective. OL is also nice spot to pick from...

Yeah, I listened to a pod with Sharp on it, today, and he referred to that article a couple of times. I gotta get to thee actual article, at some point. 

Agreed that DE may be the best value, when things all shake out; we'll see, shortly!

I had heard a stat that our pass D had the lowest average depth of target against, in the league last year. That's from exactly what Howard & Jeremy were saying: teams just knew that our backend wasn't going to let up the deep ball, so they opted for the death by a thousand paper-cuts approach: short passes all day long, from quick drops. This negated our overpriced D-line, to an extent. Yeah, an Oweh type who can recover and tackle so quickly might be just the right player to combat this style of attack. What a chess game it is, right?

I really don't know what other teams are looking for, in the CB realm, but I do know that--very generally speaking--zone DB's tend to go a little later than equally-skilled man DB's, which will play to our favor. My only real hope for a CB at 30 is if Newsome or Horn drops. The latter scenario is well neigh impossible; the former is unlikely. We can always hope, though.

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

I honestly put Etienne ahead of all those guys.  

Again, I won't be upset if we take a position with more relative value in the 1st Round, but Etienne is the first RB in a long time i've viewed as being worth a late 1st Round Pick.   I'm only taking a RB in the 1st if he has Alvin Kamara ability, and none of those guys (imo) do.... Etienne does. 

Well, if you're honestly that high on him, then the pick is justified, in your book. That's cool, and I can see the logic there. 

• Agree 1

For what it's worth, Aaron Donald was part of a defense that basically shut Brady and the Patriots down in the Super Bowl. 

The score was 3-0 in the 4th quarter. Rams offense lost them that game. Rams almost won a Super Bowl because of their defense if Goff could make a play somewhere. Also, most forgettable/boring Super Bowl ever. 

It's ALWAYS great to have amazing players. As for the term "luxury pick" I've never liked it. That's Bengals type thinking. Existence is fine, winning a Super Bowl is a "luxury." The whole league is a "luxury" so go get great players and win titles! 

Edited by TheFunPolice

20 hours ago, Logic said:

You have proven my point again. Thanks.

Insulting and condescending --  a great mixture of things to be if you want to be taken seriously or engaged in meaningful conversation with fellow fans of the same team 🙄

Here, let me give it a try:

"Oh fyi...wanna know how you can help your offense? Stop the opposing offense more on defense and put your own offense back on the field more quickly and often. You should think things through before u post."

See? It's a lot of fun to be talked down to. And as I have just shown, you're not nearly as unimpeachably brilliant as you think you are. You don't have the market cornered on team building or football strategy. Try swallowing a spoonful of humility, accept that you're not Football Jesus, and learn to speak to other people with some semblance of respect. Otherwise everyone will continue to roll their eyes the second they see your username pop up in a thread.

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Eyeroll 1

21 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I know close to nothing about college football, except that I love any DT that weighs 340+ pounds, but the more I hear about Etienne the more I like the idea. 

If we trade up for him, that probably costs us our 3rd, but if we are able to grab him at 30, we can likely add a quality CB in the 2nd Round and DT in the 3rd.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, FFadpecr said:

I am the only person on this entire message board who had Josh Allen as my #1 overall player on the 2018 Big Board before the draft. 

I am arguing with a bunch of posters on here who wanted Josh Rosen instead of Josh Allen in 2018.

What's hilarious is that I actually know what I'm talking about...most people on here do not. If this message board was in charge of the Bills, Josh Rosen would have been the selection in 2018.

I am 3 years ahead of the curve on Josh Allen. I was on the Josh Allen bandwagon before 1 poster on here ever was.

Okay everyone, we can all be quiet now.  Someone liked Josh in 2018 so clearly any disagreement with him should be met with ridicule and derision.

Regarding your argument that some posters don't think we should have a great dual threat back...I think they would love that, but are saying that using a first round pick and especially trading up to get one is not ideal.  For every McCaffrey and Saquan, there's a Kamara, Aaron Jones..heck...Thurman was a second rounder in an era that placed massive value on RBs.

I think this is a smoke screen. I just don't buy McBeane willing to trade up for a RB. I can buy them taking a RB at 30 if that's the BPA but I don't think they are willing to give up other limited draft resources to go up and get an RB. It could happen I just don't think it is very likely.