McShay- Bills trying to move up above 23 for Etienne

18 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Agreed....and if my point inferred otherwise, then that was my mistake. I'm not insinuating I was making the same point, but more that Offensive Line - a more specifically the players individually - might not have been as big an issue for the running game as some of us initially believed. If the report is true, actions speak louder than words and Beane's actions are indicating he wants a RB that is a difference maker. And you can count me among the Moss believers as well.

And I wasn't indicating the Bills' shouldn't Draft Etienne or anyone else for that matter. I'm fully on board with whomever Beane Drafts because as I've stated in other places since his first full year in Buffalo, I trust Beane, his FO AND McD to make good player decisions beginning with the Draft. If I gave you any other impression, then that was my miscommunication. 

Fair enough. I think it's more the OL than the RBs, but we'll see.

IMO, you can't call what happened here with McShea's rumor as an "action." It's a rumor, perhaps even a smokescreen. Might be true, but IMO it doesn't make sense for a team that's calling around about a trade-up to tell everyone who they want to pick. That's just not something that Beane would be likely to do. I can imagine him calling around about a possible trade-up, and word about that getting around from the other teams. But not that he'd reveal who he was targeting.

Like you, I trust Beane. He makes mistakes, as does everyone, but his methods are just plain smart and state-of-the-art. That's what you want out of your personnel guys.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't know why but I'm starting to warm up to the Etienne pick.  I never want a RB in the first and still don't....but for whatever reason I seem okay right now if this is the pick.

It's the "Beane Effect"....:beer:

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't know why but I'm starting to warm up to the Etienne pick.  I never want a RB in the first and still don't....but for whatever reason I seem okay right now if this is the pick.

It's all that day drinking. Hang on and the feeling will pass.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There is a lot to like about the player and adding an explosive playmaker to the offense. I think people are just hung up on the perceived value at 30 or potentially higher and overall draft assets used on the RB position 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am not a huge fan of Ettienne but won't argue if he's the pick, I just really hope we don't trade up for him. I love me some Najee Harris but he'll be gone. I also like Javonte Williams but he's likely gone between our first and second pick so kind of no mans land for us. 

I also don't mind taking an RB in the first two rounds of the draft, this is where the majority of good RBs get drafted. Everyone seems to think that you can pick an RB wherever but most of the guys drafted late are pretty terrible. You get the odd Austin Ekeler, James Robinson, Chris Carson late or as a UDFA but those are rare finds.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I am not a huge fan of Ettienne but won't argue if he's the pick, I just really hope we don't trade up for him. I love me some Najee Harris but he'll be gone. I also like Javonte Williams but he's likely gone between our first and second pick so kind of no mans land for us. 

I also don't mind taking an RB in the first two rounds of the draft, this is where the majority of good RBs get drafted. Everyone seems to think that you can pick an RB wherever but most of the guys drafted late are pretty terrible. You get the odd Austin Ekeler, James Robinson, Chris Carson late or as a UDFA but those are rare finds.

It’s not that you can pick RBs anywhere, it’s that a solid RB in the fifth is better than a good one in the first. RB value stinks out loud.

Edited by FireChans

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What’s allbright talking about. He wasn’t right about the bills pick the last two years. 2020 he had epenesa to the pats at 23 and 2019 he had the Bills taking Christian Wilkins. 

I find him to be quite arrogant and rude truthfully. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

This is probably recency bias on your part because that statement is absolutely a false narrative. It's not rare to find a good RB outside of the 1st or 2nd Round. Using your Chris Carson reference, that 2017 draft alone is littered with several good choices in Round 3 and beyond: Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, and James Conner all in Round 3, Tarik Cohen and Marlon Mack in Round 4, Aaron Jones in Round 5, Chris Carson in Round 7. Hardly rare.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

image.thumb.png.6d3f150a6441ddf7cfbbb31f6d0f2bb7.png

image.thumb.png.a0317c3bb847ff6154993e47aaf42d75.png

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

This is probably recency bias on your part because that statement is absolutely a false narrative. It's not rare to find a good RB outside of the 1st or 2nd Round. Using your Chris Carson reference, that 2017 draft alone is littered with several good choices in Round 3 and beyond: Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, and James Conner all in Round 3, Tarik Cohen and Marlon Mack in Round 4, Aaron Jones in Round 5, Chris Carson in Round 7. Hardly rare.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/rb

image.thumb.png.6d3f150a6441ddf7cfbbb31f6d0f2bb7.png

image.thumb.png.a0317c3bb847ff6154993e47aaf42d75.png

What’s rare is to hit on a first round RB who makes it to his second contract.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'll be completely honest.  This has been a terrible and horribly disappointing offseason for the Bills.  At least so far.

Our biggest free agent additions have been a backup quarterback (on a one-year deal) and swapping John Brown for Emmanuel Sanders (basically a wash if both guys are healthy).  Nothing has been done to upgrade the pass rush.  Nothing has been done to improve the secondary.  

To make matters worse, our rivals in the AFC East have made some nice improvements.  The Dolphins are loaded with draft picks to upgrade an already strong roster.  The Jets are a few days away from getting a potential franchise QB, and also have a ton of selections.  And after filling tons of holes in free agency, don't be surprised if Justin Fields falls in Bill Belichick's lap on Thursday night.  Yuck.

This offseason was Brandon Beane's golden opportunity to solidify the Bills among the NFL's elite teams.  Our performance in the AFC Championship Game was awful.  It was disgustingly bad.  We didn't even look like legit competition for the Chiefs.  Then two weeks later, the world saw Tampa Bay lay-out the blueprint for beating them.  And it wasn't by featuring a Pro-Bowl running back.  I don't understand how anyone could watch Chiefs receivers running open all game, and be fine with the exact same players in coverage.  I don't understand how anyone could watch the Super Bowl, and be fine with trotting out the exact same group of pass rushers.

I want to trust Beane.  And in many ways, he's earned our trust as Bills fans.  But I cannot imagine how picking a RUNNING BACK in the first round (especially with a trade-up) could possibly be the answer.  Just look to the #4 team picking in the draft (Atlanta) to see how quickly a championship-caliber roster can fall apart due to bad decisions.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

What’s rare is to hit on a first round RB who makes it to his second contract.

Agreed, which is primarily why I don't want Etienne in the 1st Round, especially at the cost of additional draft assets. Even if you hit on one who makes it to his second contract, it's questionable at best whether allocating those resources to that position is a smart move. Dave Gettleman is about to find that out very soon.

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I'll be completely honest.  This has been a terrible and horribly disappointing offseason for the Bills.  At least so far.

Our biggest free agent additions have been a backup quarterback (on a one-year deal) and swapping John Brown for Emmanuel Sanders (basically a wash if both guys are healthy).  Nothing has been done to upgrade the pass rush.  Nothing has been done to improve the secondary.  

To make matters worse, our rivals in the AFC East have made some nice improvements.  The Dolphins are loaded with draft picks to upgrade an already strong roster.  The Jets are a few days away from getting a potential franchise QB, and also have a ton of selections.  And after filling tons of holes in free agency, don't be surprised if Justin Fields falls in Bill Belichick's lap on Thursday night.  Yuck.

This offseason was Brandon Beane's golden opportunity to solidify the Bills among the NFL's elite teams.  Our performance in the AFC Championship Game was awful.  It was disgustingly bad.  We didn't even look like legit competition for the Chiefs.  Then two weeks later, the world saw Tampa Bay lay-out the blueprint for beating them.  And it wasn't by featuring a Pro-Bowl running back.  I don't understand how anyone could watch Chiefs receivers running open all game, and be fine with the exact same players in coverage.  I don't understand how anyone could watch the Super Bowl, and be fine with trotting out the exact same group of pass rushers.

I want to trust Beane.  And in many ways, he's earned our trust as Bills fans.  But I cannot imagine how picking a RUNNING BACK in the first round (especially with a trade-up) could possibly be the answer.  Just look to the #4 team picking in the draft (Atlanta) to see how quickly a championship-caliber roster can fall apart due to bad decisions.  

We are returning players on a team that went 13-3.  It's not like we are returning players from a 7-9 team.

You're looking at it as 100% on the players.  We had no problem scoring on even better defenses than the Chiefs but for whatever reason, couldn't score on the Chiefs.  We have the players on offense to score on the Chiefs, we just need a better game plan....healthy WR too.

Efe I think will give us more than Jefferson.  Star coming back helps with a fat man in the middle, hopefully freeing up Oliver more.  Epenesa is in year 2 and will need him to take the next step.  Plus we have the draft.  This offseason isn't over.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Very good post. I'd to add while it was impressive keeping their own, the Bills taking the next step is depending heavily on a few young guys progressing (Edmunds/Oliver), Star returning playing like 7 years ago, and Mongo having the use of both arms. 

I don’t like taking a RB in the 1st round, but this is a unique year.  The lack of info on these prospects probably pushes RB’s up the draft board because RB’s are easier to scout and project.  
Do you roll the dice on a guy like Farley or take more of a sure thing in Etienne?  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

16 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Just a gut feeling, and while I personally prefer a few other positions myself, Harris is a lot faster than people seem to think.

I dont think Beanes the type to let ego get in the way, and I think its only admitting Singletary, Moss is gunna be a nice back for us IMO. Not saying we will do this, just that if Beane thinks it's best case scenario, he'll pull the trigger

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1